Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What PC Controller Isn't Shit These Days?

Kefa

Literate
I use Dualsense.

It works.
One thing I don't like about the DualSense is the much less obvious LED. On the DualShock, it's a large solid bar on top of the controller. On the DualSense it's a small rim around the touchpad. When I use DS4Windows I like to turn the LED brightness almost all the way down to save battery (and this actually adds several hours to its charge) but there's still a dim light from the LED bar to easily know it's on. On the DualSense I have to really really look or squint to see if it's on. Annoying but not a fatal flaw. DS4Windows also lets you change the color of the LED bar for different profiles. Almost a shame the author recently archived it and no longer updates.

I hated the bright home button on the Xbox controllers so much, but never had any issues with Sony’s lights. I don’t play on a TV though so that may also be why. The lights on the dualsense don’t bother me at all either, in fact I don’t know notice them.

ferratilis

Magister
After some time with Gamesir G7 SE, I'm going to sell all my other controllers, including the 8bitdo Ultimate. This is the most comfortable and precise controller I've used so far. If you ever thought that anti-friction rings are a gimmick, think again. Together with hall effect sensors, they make general use as comfortable as it can be. The sticks are also made of a material that ensures grip no matter how sweaty your hands get, which is something where 8bitdo falls short. The only downside for some people might be that it's wired only, but I like not having to think about charging the battery (and the included braided cable is 3m long). They put Microsoft to shame with this thing.

Another thing that makes it great is that no software is ever required, back buttons can be mapped just by using shortcuts.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
When it comes to PC controllers I use the xbox elite controller 2. So far it has managed to survive my pyroclastic rage during the souls games and all of Monster hunter world. So until I find a game that can actually make me break it I'm sticking with it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If they had a wireless Gamesir G7 SE I'd probably buy it. Love hall sensors. But I really can't be arsed by more cords running over the floor anymore now that I game from my couch.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I still think the Sony DualShock 4 controller (wireless bluetooth version) is the single greatest controller I have ever owned. I still have my first one (black) purchased from Newegg about 15 years ago that still works fine (aside from maybe some slight drift in one of the sticks that only shows up in certain games), and, in fact, I received just today a red magma one from Sony that I just couldn't resist buying for $25 on sale last week; refurbished but feels like new. You never see authentic DS4s controllers for that price anymore, only the chink counterfeit chintz.
Why did controllers double in price in a decade? I hate giving Sony money but it's hard to find anything comparable to the DS4.

ferratilis

Magister
If they had a wireless Gamesir G7 SE I'd probably buy it. Love hall sensors. But I really can't be arsed by more cords running over the floor anymore now that I game from my couch.
It's Microsoft's bullshit policy, all third party accessories must be wired only. It's because they know other companies make better products than they do.

Other than wireless option, I'd like to see mechanical face buttons on G7 SE. That would make this controller perfect.

REhorror

Educated
I use Dualsense.

It works.
One thing I don't like about the DualSense is the much less obvious LED. On the DualShock, it's a large solid bar on top of the controller. On the DualSense it's a small rim around the touchpad. When I use DS4Windows I like to turn the LED brightness almost all the way down to save battery (and this actually adds several hours to its charge) but there's still a dim light from the LED bar to easily know it's on. On the DualSense I have to really really look or squint to see if it's on. Annoying but not a fatal flaw. DS4Windows also lets you change the color of the LED bar for different profiles. Almost a shame the author recently archived it and no longer updates.
It really doesn't bother me, really.

What irks me about the DS is the low battery, but I don't use it that much to actually run out.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I still think the Sony DualShock 4 controller (wireless bluetooth version) is the single greatest controller I have ever owned. I still have my first one (black) purchased from Newegg about 15 years ago that still works fine (aside from maybe some slight drift in one of the sticks that only shows up in certain games), and, in fact, I received just today a red magma one from Sony that I just couldn't resist buying for $25 on sale last week; refurbished but feels like new. You never see authentic DS4s controllers for that price anymore, only the chink counterfeit chintz.
Why did controllers double in price in a decade? I hate giving Sony money but it's hard to find anything comparable to the DS4.
What do you mean wireless Bluetooth version? They're all wireless and there is only 1 version. The Dualshock 4 has the same problem as all the previous Sony controllers - it's smol.

That's why it was pretty much universally accepted back then that the Xbone controller was better. It just felt more comfortable.

The Dualsense is a game changer, it's a more ergonomic shape and actually sized for adult human hands. Plus It Just Works on a PC. You just pair it and play, unlike the DS4 where you need some Russian h4xx0r driver to get it to work.

I don't know about "doubled in price" either. Where I'm from, the Dualsense is only 10% more than a Dualshock 4. And it's better in every way (except for battery life, which sucks).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If they had a wireless Gamesir G7 SE I'd probably buy it. Love hall sensors.
Gamesir T4 Cyclone exists. Only the Pro version is worth buying since it has a dongle, it has horrible bluetooth latency and normal one doesn't come with a dongle.
*chants Paul Atreides style* Input lag is the fun-killer! Of course they sell the dongle separately instead of just including it. I wish they had a Hall sensor version in the DS4 form factor. I don't agree with a previous poster that the Xbox-style ergonomics is the most comfortable. Vastly preferred the DS4 shape, weight and feel though the DS3 was too light. DS4 feels perfect for me.

Modron

Arcane
Been a few months since I looked at hall effect controllers, there are now dozens of models from dozens of different manufacturers on amazon alone. I am sure you could probably find one close to your taste.

Hell Swarm

Educated
What do you mean wireless Bluetooth version? They're all wireless and there is only 1 version. The Dualshock 4 has the same problem as all the previous Sony controllers - it's smol.

That's why it was pretty much universally accepted back then that the Xbone controller was better. It just felt more comfortable.

The Dualsense is a game changer, it's a more ergonomic shape and actually sized for adult human hands. Plus It Just Works
emoji769.png
on a PC. You just pair it and play, unlike the DS4 where you need some Russian h4xx0r driver to get it to work.

I don't know about "doubled in price" either. Where I'm from, the Dualsense is only 10% more than a Dualshock 4. And it's better in every way (except for battery life, which sucks).
There's 2 versions of the Dualshock 4. They updated the design and changed how the LEDs look. The newer models have lights down the front.

The xbox 360 controller was superior to the PS3 controller but I find it hurts my hands to use it these days. The PS4 controller I can play for hours no problem. 360 and an hour I've got bad arm ache from how you have to hold it. We all have different shaped hands.

I use a wireless bluetooth adapter that tells the PC a 360 pad is plugged in. It lets you play with other controllers and it Just works tm the same way as a microsoft one. It's pretty nice.

PS2 controllers were £20 and PS4 are like £40-50.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

The Dualsense is a game changer, it's a more ergonomic shape and actually sized for adult human hands. Plus It Just Works
emoji769.png
on a PC. You just pair it and play, unlike the DS4 where you need some Russian h4xx0r driver to get it to work.

The xbox 360 controller was superior to the PS3 controller but I find it hurts my hands to use it these days. The PS4 controller I can play for hours no problem. 360 and an hour I've got bad arm ache from how you have to hold it. We all have different shaped hands.
Yeah, I experienced something similar. I developed carpal-tunnel like symptoms a few years ago and the pain was aggravated when I played using my Xbone controller. Once I switched to my old DS4, it was like balm for the palm. But as mentioned earlier, I hate how the left and right bumpers on top feel on xbox controllers. They just feel cheap, plasticy and clickity, not smooth like on the DS4 and DS5. The DS5 seems closer to the Xbox controllers in form factor - or kind of in-between the DS4 and Xbox - but those bumpers on top still feel nice and solid.

Kefa

Literate

emoji769.png

Yeah, I experienced something similar. I developed carpal-tunnel like symptoms a few years ago and the pain was aggravated when I played using my Xbone controller. Once I switched to my old DS4, it was like balm for the palm. But as mentioned earlier, I hate how the left and right bumpers on top feel on xbox controllers. They just feel cheap, plasticy and clickity, not smooth like on the DS4 and DS5. The DS5 seems closer to the Xbox controllers in form factor - or kind of in-between the DS4 and Xbox - but those bumpers on top still feel nice and solid.

I agree on the bumpers, I also found the bumpers uncomfortable to hold. The Xbox controller is designed with the idea you’ll have your index fingers on the triggers instead of the bumpers which works for shooters but isn’t great for games like dark souls. But also even in shooters I’ve always flipped bumpers and triggers because fuck analogue triggers for anything but racing games

Hell Swarm

Educated
I agree on the bumpers, I also found the bumpers uncomfortable to hold. The Xbox controller is designed with the idea you’ll have your index fingers on the triggers instead of the bumpers which works for shooters but isn’t great for games like dark souls. But also even in shooters I’ve always flipped bumpers and triggers because fuck analogue triggers for anything but racing games
Dark souls on a 360 pad feels unnatural. I remember playing Dark souls 1 on PC when it released using a 360 pad and it seriously fucked with my timing and enjoyment of the game. Souls games feel way more natural on a Sony controller because Sony built theirs with 3D platformers in mind while Microsoft went with FPS games. The PS3's analogs were really loose and good for smooth movement but bad for aiming. The 360 was so much tighter and made a joke out of playing multi platform shooters.

I haven't tried a PS5 pad but I imagine when the PS4 stocks run out I'll have to pick up something from Sony. They corrected on the loose sticks and now they're near unbeatable for comfort. I think it's the lower stick placements that place your thumb in a more natural resting arc over the xbox ones squishing your thumb inward

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I do use my DS5 as my primary controller these days but if and when my hands start to hurt I go back to my DS4; it's my healing pad ;)

Right now I'm on a mission to get every shortcut key in Freespace Open configured with a controller so I can couch-out with it on my 65" OLED in my living room. I'll have to do it manually and use the button modifier/layer system. I'd rather have others do it for me but, hey, it's a project that will challenge me and keep me from becoming too mentally lethargic in my old age

:dance:

deuxhero

Arcane
First issue with my 8bitdo Pro 2: Right shoulder button is 75% power (so says the one controller page I have that actually measure this) and won't register full press programs that need exactly that. Tried some IPA, but that doesn't seem to have worked. Maybe fixable with software (not that their software is Linux compatible), or surgery (they sell replacement rubber, but after shipping they're almost 1/5th the cost of a controller!).

Edit: Removed battery to see if there was disassembly screw behind it and put it back it. Back to 99% (though curiously previously 100% power L seems to be capped at it too) and recognized as hitting for programs that weren't. No idea if IPA needed time, or the battery reset did something.

8 bit do Pro great stuff.
Pro 2 is what I wound up getting. Works great so far with a good d-pad. Will have to get back to everyone on long-term durability though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom