Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What PC Controller Isn't Shit These Days?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I’m still using a saitek P150 mostly for emulation but I do have a 9pin to USB adapter that I can use so I can utilize actual genesis controllers or whatever takes 9pin. I have a separate set of adapters for other systems except jaguar which I have nothing atm. Hmmmmm…. Look at that jaguar keypad. OH YEAH!

ferratilis

Magister
I finally got the Ultimate Bluetooth, this thing is really impressive. From D-pad, to hall effect sticks, to customizability, it's a great piece of hardware. If only Sony's haptic tech weren't properietary, it could've been even better.
IMG-20231014-091238.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Why are gamepad manufacturers so afraid of making 6-8 button A-Z controllers? I get sick of the standard 4 XY/AB layout. BLEK!

Is the black better than the white? I’m eyeing that D-pad on the white suspiciously.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you buy a controller that works like an Xbox controller but isn't brand one. Will it still be recognized as one in Windows/games, or do you have to fuck around a lot?

If you buy a controller that works like an Xbox controller but isn't brand one. Will it still be recognized as one in Windows/games, or do you have to fuck around a lot?
xinput is the service that allows your system to recognize the controller as an "xbox" one. Most modern controllers allow for at least switching between xinput and dinput (older tech, significantly better, used by sony nowadays).
not many controllers advertise this, but there's a lot of reasonably good controller makers that advertise them as "xbox compatible". that should indicate if they're xinput or not.

ferratilis

Magister
Since I have the cheapest possible Utimate controller (Ultimate C, 15 bucks), and the most expensive one (Ultimate Bluetooth, 60 bucks), a quick comparison for anyone thinking about buying.

D-pad - exactly the same
L2/R2 - exactly the same
L1/R1 - on the C model, there's quite a bit of rattle because they seem slightly loose, however the functionality is the same
Sticks - the C model has regular Alp potentionmeters that could develop drift over time, however I was surprised to find out there's no deadzone like on most cheap models. A big plus there (could also be a downside that makes it more prone to drift, but time will tell)
Face buttons - stiffer on the C model, it's down to personal preference, tbh I like the feel on the cheaper model more. Obviously, the layout is different
Customization - none on the C model, full on Ultimate Bluetooth (deadzones, triggers, macros, buttons etc.)
Weight - the C model has no battery, but it does have vibration motors that give it just enough weight not to feel like a cheap plastic toy. Much better than cheap shit like Logitech F310
Feel in hands - pretty much the same, the cheaper one also has textures grips to make it easier to hold

There you go. If you don't care about Switch support, hall effect sensors, connectivity options, or customization and just need a cheap controller, C might seem like a good choice. Especially since you won't find anything better for 15 dollarydoos, probably even on the used market. Can recommend. The biggest downside are the hideous color options: lime green and pink. But you have to sacrifice something, I guess.

IMG-20231016-210538.jpg

Ravielsk

Magister
My experience with cheap gamepads is that they usually last for exactly one and a half game. You beat something on them no problemo and then you start another game and at the half way point the gamepad develops some crippling issue that essentially impossible to fix because the gamepad is made out of proprietary parts that cannot be easily sourced.

Its why I switched to more expensive stuff in the 40+ prince bracket. Currently I have been using gamesir G7 gamepad and thus far I have to say that for the 40€ I paid for it its excellent. Hall effect sticks, mechanical face button, two back paddles and a headphone jack. The only downside might be is that its wired but for me that is just another plus.
In terms of value per buck I dont think there is a better gamepad on the market right now.
1Update.jpg

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
All I want is a ps style gamepad with hall effect sticks and normal removable batteries. Why is that too much to ask?

ADL

Prophet
Shame the leaked Xbox controller revision doesn't include hall effect sticks but maybe the Elite Series 3 will.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/n...ptic-feedback-and-gyro-controls/1100-6517827/

Also I was just made aware of this controller from a manufacturer I've never heard of but the reviews are good. I'm gonna ride out my Xbox Elite Series 2 until it goes out but I'll probably go with Gamesir next time because this looks fantastic for the price.
https://www.gamesir.hk/collections/gamepads/products/gamesir-t4-cyclone-pro

ferratilis

Magister
Why would Sony and Microsoft include hall effect sticks when they know that goyim will keep buying a new controller every year, without complaining? They know how dumb their fanbase is, and use it to the full extent.

Melcar

Arcane
Shame the leaked Xbox controller revision doesn't include hall effect sticks but maybe the Elite Series 3 will.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/n...ptic-feedback-and-gyro-controls/1100-6517827/

Also I was just made aware of this controller from a manufacturer I've never heard of but the reviews are good. I'm gonna ride out my Xbox Elite Series 2 until it goes out but I'll probably go with Gamesir next time because this looks fantastic for the price.
https://www.gamesir.hk/collections/gamepads/products/gamesir-t4-cyclone-pro

Gamesir usually does cheap knockoffs. Cheap of course. Had a few of their controllers and most of them turn to shit within a year, even with light use.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The 8BitDo M30 Mega Drive-style controller is fine, but I would have made the D-pad bigger, since there is no analog stick to balance against. I looked at pictures of the Mega Drive controller and its D-pad seems proportioned the same as the M30 compared to the other buttons. But I still would have made it bigger.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I think Valve should do a Steam Controller 2, with back back buttons added (like in the steam deck)

With that said
Anyone can recomend me a good (reliable, durable and confortable) gamepad, with back buttons and 6 axis motion sensing?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I don't know why they made the Retro Fighters Defender shoulder buttons slim like modern bumpers if the idea of the fully pressure-sensitive controller is to emulate the feel of the old PlayStation controllers. Makes it harder to stay in first-person mode in old MGS. Back then the shoulder buttons weren't secondary to the triggers like they are now.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This is going to be a weird suggestion, but since my kids have been into age of gaming I have been trying to find some old working gamepads that I hadn't throwed away. And look :

1280px-PlayStation3-Sixaxis.jpg

PS3 original gamepad, without vibration function. It's light. It works perfectly. It's instantly recognized by Linux and the Steam Deck without fiddling anything. The bluetooth works. The only issue is that of course it still displays Xbox controls in games but whatever, I'm even playing Starfield, BG3 and Mario Wonder on the TV with this with no issue.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wonder if my bro kept any of his ps3 stuff. He said the main console finally went due to overheating.

Steam has a thing that makes any controller you could have to work and be recognized as an xinput one (xbox controller basically). But yeah, you will only get xbox prompts in games.

Machocruz

Arcane
sVhZDRc.jpg

Got this not too long ago to replace the Xbox One controller I was using. The latter started drifting bad. Tried to replace a spring but was unsuccessful, controller wouldn't even power on after I reassembled it. Wa wa wa waaaaaa. Didn't feel like spending more than $30 this time, so I got one of these 8BitDo pads that I kept seeing on recommended lists. It's decent, it's solid. Already had the left thumbstick stick a couple times, but that could just because of hog maw grease getting on there.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The Retro Fighters Defender also has the slim bumpers too close to the triggers, making it easy to pull up the inventory and interrupt my aiming in MGS2 and 3.

I forgot that even R1 is pressure-sensitive in the old MGS, allowing you to gradually lean towards lockers. Pressing the face buttons down only partially wasn't hard. Every controller made for modern games should have this feature.

The sticks are very touchy in RPCS3. I wish I could set them so that Snake only starts running when I'm almost at the edge of the circle. It's REALLY difficult to just walk.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Wish more games had full Dualsense support. Proper implementation of haptics support results in a wholly novel feeling, but sadly even first party PS5 games often enough lack that with their PC ports.

I think Valve should do a Steam Controller 2, with back back buttons added (like in the steam deck)
For sure, all the input options are a big part of what makes the Deck stand out from its competition in the first place. But as I understood it, they got in trouble for ignoring patents there, and that was why they had to stop selling the original Steam Controller.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Because I'm using the 8BitDo M30 on both the computer and phone and it's too tedious to sync again when switching to the other, I tried instead to continue A Link to the Past with my modern style analog stick controller (8BitDo Ultimate). It was awful. Really difficult to navigate. I have no idea why modern D-pads are so small and no longer have that lovely Mega Drive circle that makes it so much easier to switch from latitude to longitude. Don't tell me that it's because the D-pad is now used mostly to select items and move between menus, because plenty of 2D platformers and action games are still released. There's plenty of room on most controllers too. I probably should have used the Retro Fighters Defender, since it has a bigger D-pad that is aligned with the face buttons, but the M30 is still better for those very old games because of the placement of the face buttons, the sizes of A, B and C, and that circle between the directions.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
What is the best six button solution for the N64 emulators that doesn't have the genitalia design? Using an analog stick for the C buttons is awkward. I never had to hold the left testicle in any game as a kid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom