Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What PC Controller Isn't Shit These Days?

The only controller I've ever gotten drift in were the crappy Switch joycons. I haven't heard of a single one that didn't crap out. Truly bottom of the barrel parts.

I'd buy one of those new 8bitdo Ultimates (I like their stuff, and they include a dock even, seems like a good deal), but I already have an Xbox One wireless pad, a Dualsense and an 8bitdo M30 for older stuff/shmups. They all work great. Dualsense is a good controller but the battery life is truly abysmal.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I just noticed with my new DualSense controller (model#: CFI-ZCT1W) the soft pulsing amber light that's suppose to show you it's charging and will automatically turn off when fully charged doesn't turn off. It continues to pulse amber even at 100%. I use a good quality USB-C-to-USB-A cable connected to one of the red USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports in the back of my Asus z490-E motherboard. Naturally it's slow as fuck charging but at least I can continue to use it corded while it's charging. I just wish that damn amber LED charging indicator would work right and shutoff when charged but if that's the worst of my problems with my new controller, I'm still pretty golden. I use the latest and the greatest DS4Windows v3.1.10 build.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The only controller I've ever gotten drift in were the crappy Switch joycons. I haven't heard of a single one that didn't crap out. Truly bottom of the barrel parts.

I'd buy one of those new 8bitdo Ultimates (I like their stuff, and they include a dock even, seems like a good deal), but I already have an Xbox One wireless pad, a Dualsense and an 8bitdo M30 for older stuff/shmups. They all work great. Dualsense is a good controller but the battery life is truly abysmal.
I hear good things about 8bitdo but how durable are their products generally? That's the great bane of third-party controllers - that they're generally junk that doesn't last. I bought a generic PC controller years ago with the form factor of a logitech controller and the analog sticks amost literally disintegrated in my hands within the year. It's why I thereafter always stuck with microsoft and sony for gamepads.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
8 bit do ultimate uses a totally different tech for the sticks that's not Alps junk. They recently released.

https://www.maxi-geek.com/con/8bitdo-claim-they-have-the-ultimate-controller-and-they-might-be-right

https://www.8bitdo.com/

just gonna keep reposting this.

8 bit do ultimate uses a totally different tech for the sticks that's not Alps junk. They recently released.

https://www.maxi-geek.com/con/8bitdo-claim-they-have-the-ultimate-controller-and-they-might-be-right
Ordered this. 70 dollars became an easier sell when I thought about also using it for my Switch. When I played some emulated Switch games with my brother on his computer, there were a few that didn't run well. I may use the back buttons as pressure sensitive face button actions in games like MGS3. That feature never should have been dropped with the PS4 controller. Sony should have instead pushed their own first party devs to use it more.

https://www.8bitdo.com/

just gonna keep reposting this.

8bitdo came out with a new controller that uses Hall Effect sensors. Drift-proof and more accurate analog sticks, should be perfectly centered.
Thinking of grabbing it... but undecided, torn between it or the other Hall Effect sensor controller, the GuliKit KingKong2 Pro.
image.jpg
Jesus Christ I know a fat indian that has that same facial shape.

I hear good things about 8bitdo but how durable are their products generally? That's the great bane of third-party controllers - that they're generally junk that doesn't last. I bought a generic PC controller years ago with the form factor of a logitech controller and the analog sticks amost literally disintegrated in my hands within the year. It's why I thereafter always stuck with microsoft and sony for gamepads.
I can only speak for the M30 (their jp Saturn/Megadrive style pad), and the build quality is excellent. Zero problems since I got it about 5 years ago. However, it only has a digital d-pad, so I can't vouch for their sticks.

Ravielsk

Magister
I use the logitech F710. The one I have I have been personally using for only a couple of months but I bought it from a pawn shop and its obvious that its been through several years of use(scuffs, the rubber on the thumbsticks is flaking off) and besides the obvious wear and tear its a very solid thing. It also supports switching between Dinput and Xinput which for me is actually a very important feature because I play a older PC games that only support Dinput gamepads.
The only real downside to it is that it uses custom thumbsticks so replacing them is pretty much impossible.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just noticed with my new DualSense controller (model#: CFI-ZCT1W) the soft pulsing amber light that's suppose to show you it's charging and will automatically turn off when fully charged doesn't turn off. It continues to pulse amber even at 100%. I use a good quality USB-C-to-USB-A cable connected to one of the red USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports in the back of my Asus z490-E motherboard. Naturally it's slow as fuck charging but at least I can continue to use it corded while it's charging. I just wish that damn amber LED charging indicator would work right and shutoff when charged but if that's the worst of my problems with my new controller, I'm still pretty golden. I use the latest and the greatest DS4Windows v3.1.10 build.
Mine does not have that issue. Maybe try updating the firmware for the gamepad. Sony has a program for that. I had to update mine recently for some reason or another.

Is there any particular reason why you're using DS4Windows? Steam has native support for the Dualsense and a lot of other software as well (including emulators like Retroarch/RPCS3/PCSX2, etc.).

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Is there any particular reason why you're using DS4Windows? Steam has native support for the Dualsense and a lot of other software as well (including emulators like Retroarch/RPCS3/PCSX2, etc.).
Steam doesn't have half of the customization options, such as turning off the LED, disabling the touch pad, remapping the buttons, ect.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Mine does not have that issue. Maybe try updating the firmware for the gamepad. Sony has a program for that. I had to update mine recently for some reason or another.
Yes, that's always a good idea, up-to-date firmware anyway but especially to see if little quirks like this can be fixed.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
In addition to what GhostCow said (and more), the main reason is that I can run it outside of Steam for my collection of non-steam games (I rarely have Steam running) for gamepad support. Otherwise I have to import these games into Steam to get its controller support for DS4/DS5 controllers. It was already tedious enough that I imported them into Launchbox. I play with xinput Xbox 360/XboxOne emulation always on because far more games have native support for that on PC.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Steam doesn't have half of the customization options, such as turning off the LED, disabling the touch pad, remapping the buttons, ect.
Just the ability to turn off or dim your LED to a fraction of its default brightness (and thus saving hours of battery charge) and select any color you want for individual profiles makes it worth it alone. I love these features.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Just the ability to turn off or dim your LED to a fraction of its default brightness (and thus saving hours of battery charge) and select any color you want for individual profiles makes it worth it alone. I love these features.

Just wanted to mention you can control LEDs on controllers with ReWASD too.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My Xbox1 gamepad that I've had for less than a year has left stick drift going both up and down.
In comparison, the X360 controller that I've had for almost 15 years has a frayed, taped-together cable and it's still going strong, aside from a slightly busted right bumper sensor.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
My Xbox1 gamepad that I've had for less than a year has left stick drift going both up and down.
In comparison, the X360 controller that I've had for almost 15 years has a frayed, taped-together cable and it's still going strong, aside from a slightly busted right bumper sensor.
It's just luck of the draw my dude. Xbone gamepad isn't any worse than the one for 360. It's probably the exact same stick.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Just wanted to mention you can control LEDs on controllers with ReWASD too.
I've always had major issues with ReWASD on my system so I tend to avoid it. Haven't tried it for a while though. DS4Windows suits my needs so why bother?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is this the customizable controller on the fly or am i thinking of another one. So many god damn controllers. I was thinking of getting one of those controller that look like an arcade deck; oh wtf you call them?

deuxhero

Arcane
8 bit do Pro great stuff.
Pro 2 is what I wound up getting. Works great so far with a good d-pad. Will have to get back to everyone on long-term durability though.

Still holding up after half a year with no issues if anyone is wondering. Using the wireless one connected to PC via USB (I didn't grab the wired because I've had enough cord failures in controllers being able to replace the cord is a must for me)

Couldn't see a way to map P1 and P2 (the 8bitdo back buttons) to the game I was playing. Does the game need to have those options? I can't remember when I've seen P1 and P2 in a game.
They're customizable macro buttons. You need their software to configure them.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
just got my 8bitdo ultimate bluetooth today, been using it this morning. i swear i almost had a heart attack when it wasn't recognized by ReWASD, but after a reboot it did. initial impressions are strong: joysticks are amazing, using them in "no deadzone" mode and they feel fantastic. both are centered to 0.00002 on gamepad-tester and i've enver seen that before. The d-pad feels good, face buttons are a bit soft but still preferable to the mushy and hollow-feeling ones on regular xbox one controllers; though of course not as satisfying as the mechanical ones in a Razer.

the only downside so far are the bumpers which are indeed "weak" feeling. However, on the upside the triggers feel great to press and use, and are more comfortable than either the stock xbox one triggers or the razer wolverine triggers. As for the back buttons... it's gonna take me some getting used to them. I gotta say i simply grew too used to the centered back buttons on the Razer wolverine controllers. idk, the in-line back buttons on the palm grips aren't as immediately comfortable for me, the way i hold the controller my fingers naturally rest on the center portion of the controller's backplate, where the razer back-buttons were, but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

In addition to that, some details:

1. the back buttons won't be enabled in the default profile, you have to go into the 8bitdo software and enable your Profile (you have up to 3), and assign them there, then press the Profile button on the controller. Had to google this as I initially thought they didn't work on Windows. They do, just not by default.

2. yeah, like I said in the screenshot the bumpers feel kind of weak but the triggers really feel good to use, and are more ergonomic to the finger than the regular xbox one triggers or the razer triggers. Much easier to keep, say, Left Trigger held down for long periods on this 8bitdo than on the other controllers I've tried.
3. minor but I also found that the LS/RS click-in buttons are very easy to use. Much easier to press than on the razer or the regular xbox controllers. Of course I usually re-assign those to the back buttons anyway, but it's nice to have this comfort.

4. As an aside it feels quite nice to use a wireless controller again, haven't used one in many years. Oh, and the accuracy of the analog sticks in gamepad-tester was an average of 6% error rate on the left stick, and 5% error rate on the right stick. This is very good, default xbox controllers average around 12% error rate, and my razer wolverine had 14% error rates. So it's actually a marked improvement. Probably the best score I've ever seen.

Need some more time to break the controller in but so far initial impressions are quite good. For a $70 dollar controller this thing is PACKED with features:

- charging dock, 2 different modes of wireless connectivity + includes the USB dongle, comes with custom software that has rudimentary button rebinding and deadzone customization (it's no ReWASD but it's more than fine), Hall Effect analog joysticks with excellent accuracy, extra buttons in the back, an IMO more ergonomic-feeling set of triggers. D-pad is very good as well.

Seriously, it's kind of crazy you get all this for $70 bucks.

EDIT: another detail after some more use is that the thumbstick tension is slightly higher on these joysticks than on the stock xbox one controller or on the Razer wolverine ultimate. This may or may not be to your liking. For me, it is, it feels better that they have slightly higher spring tension. It may be that it's not to your liking. Seems like it's going to be a very subjective thing. It's a subtle thing and most people probably wouldn't even notice to begin with, but it's definitely there.

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
Just got the 8bitdo ultimate bluetooth, will arrive tomorrow. I had been using Dualsense wired (bless USB-C), which is pretty nice but the rest I have either used AA batteries or were Dualshock 4 controllers with the dumb ass micro USB connector that is super unreliable for wired gameplay. Can't wait to play co-op properly :outrage:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom