Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What PC Controller Isn't Shit These Days?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Here is some ultra ones
Grandstand_VEC_CL-09_small1.jpg

sintellivision.jpg

That top one though is the boss of em all!

Ezekiel

Arcane
8 bit do ultimate uses a totally different tech for the sticks that's not Alps junk. They recently released.

https://www.maxi-geek.com/con/8bitdo-claim-they-have-the-ultimate-controller-and-they-might-be-right
Ordered this. 70 dollars became an easier sell when I thought about also using it for my Switch. When I played some emulated Switch games with my brother on his computer, there were a few that didn't run well. I may use the back buttons as pressure sensitive face button actions in games like MGS3. That feature never should have been dropped with the PS4 controller. Sony should have instead pushed their own first party devs to use it more.

jimster

Educated
Steam Controller unironically :)
or some Hori controller if you need a d-pad, like one of the older fighting commanders or the Pokken pad.

Is the Steam controller good at all by the way? I read a while back that it's very flimsy. I want it because it's supposedly easy to map, but I haven't played a video game so it's not life or death. Just, I would like to see if it'd be cool to play BG on a controller. I've heard BG on the Switch is "the best way to play it."

Edit: wow, they discontinued it!? Damn, should've bought one when I wanted to play PoE with a controller, and the devs said that it's made for that in mind or something like that.
Used ones might be a fair price. I don't find it flimsy. You could probably use it for CRPGs, should be enough buttons to bind keys to, plus you can make wheel binds. The main genre where I find it advantagegous over anything else is the very specific third-person console game where you need to aim sometimes, like a Monster Hunter or Dark Souls. For other genres, the main advantage is just comfort, and not having to wait ages to turn around with an analog stick. Could not get used to FPS with it... I replayed through half of Half-Life then switched over to mouse, it was just making it unnecessarily more difficult. Something about the touchpad camera and gyro combo was making me motion sick too. It's certainly better for aiming than a regular controler, though.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
PowerA GameCube Controller

451449.jpg
No offense, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one of those.

Despite the many qualities it may have, like being light on the hands (I'm not a fan of super heavy controllers), solid thumbstick which is not gonna need a replacement so soon, nice grip, long batery duration while the cable is detached, easy to clean, and so forth.

Those look like a little boy toy, even though this one you attached in your post is slightly better. I wish they got rid of the rainbow buttons, though.

Still looking like a toy, to me, so it's a no-no. Just my two cents.

DemonKing

Arcane
I use a 10 year-old XBox 360 Wired controller on my PC and that's more than sufficient as I don't play a lot of controller games on my PC.

I would say though that the Dualsense controller (the PS5 default controller) is the nicest controller I've ever handled and should work on PC. I'm not a big fan of the texture on the new Series X/S controller.

Modron

Arcane
I am going to wait until they release a cheaper wired version with those sticks, I've got no desire to pay for wireless components/battery crap.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
https://www.8bitdo.com/

just gonna keep reposting this.

8bitdo came out with a new controller that uses Hall Effect sensors. Drift-proof and more accurate analog sticks, should be perfectly centered.
Thinking of grabbing it... but undecided, torn between it or the other Hall Effect sensor controller, the GuliKit KingKong2 Pro.

I have never loved a controller manufacturer before but I love these fuckers. One of my friends has dozens and dozens of controllers so I consider him a true expert and he got me one of the 8bitdo wired controllers and I have not looked back. To be honest I do not use it too often since most games I use M+K for but when I do use it I love it. I do press in on the stick too often occasionally tho.

jimster

Educated
PowerA GameCube Controller

451449.jpg
No offense, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one of those.

Despite the many qualities it may have, like being light on the hands (I'm not a fan of super heavy controllers), solid thumbstick which is not gonna need a replacement so soon, nice grip, long batery duration while the cable is detached, easy to clean, and so forth.

Those look like a little boy toy, even though this one you attached in your post is slightly better. I wish they got rid of the rainbow buttons, though.

Still looking like a toy, to me, so it's a no-no. Just my two cents.
They have custom GC controllers on ebay with black or whatever buttons. Probably cost a bit more though. Just need a USB adapter, too.

But, do other people see your PC controller? Colored buttons matter that much to you?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I hear they're popping out a new retrocube. Seems every holiday its a new emulator box retro device.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Have used the 8bitDo Ultimate a little now. I know it's modelled after the Switch Pro, but it feels higher quality. Like how easy it is to switch between Switch and PC, even though I barely use my Switch anymore. Just flip the switch in the back. To turn the Switch on, you have to press the Home button and then shake the controller.

ferratilis

Magister
Have used the 8bitDo Ultimate a little now. I know it's modelled after the Switch Pro, but it feels higher quality. Like how easy it is to switch between Switch and PC, even though I barely use my Switch anymore. Just flip the switch in the back. To turn the Switch on, you have to press the Home button and then shake the controller.
I have 8bitdo SN30 Pro+, and don't like the mushy triggers and overall how cheap the buttons feel. Have you used SN30 before and can you compare the new one to it?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I have 8bitdo SN30 Pro+, and don't like the mushy triggers and overall how cheap the buttons feel. Have you used SN30 before and can you compare the new one to it?
This is my first 8bitDo. I guess the triggers and face buttons do feel a little mushy and cheap, respectively.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
OMG on the quality of intellivision controllers. If yours works, I wouldn't recommend opening it. I'll link vids:

I can't tell if model 1 is better made as you can unscrew it but the damn think is connected to the console. You'd have to do a 9-pin mod to make it usable in other things. I wonder if there is a 9-pin extender. The model II intellivisions have issues fitting in some ports. But damn flimsy things. I'll create a custom overlay. Mine work.

Steam controller is the only controller worth using in 2022. There's a reason they are selling for a small fortune on ebay - Valve stopped making them but people still want them.

Most controllers I have used feel sturdy and premium but just randomly stop working after a short while. It has the opposite problem - feels flimsy and cheap, but keeps working forever.

ferratilis

Magister
Almost two years with Xbox Series controller, still works perfectly. Although there is one annoying aspect, and that's bluetooth connectivity. Sometimes it'll take a second to connect, sometimes ten. I guess Microsoft does that deliberately, because they want you to buy that wireless dongle they're selling. Otherwise, it's the most comfortable controller to use, with the best D-pad I've ever tried. If Tekken players say it's good, that's the best compliment a D-pad can get.

The 8bitdo one I already mentioned felt great at first, but after a while it starts creaking and buttons start getting stuck because of its cheap construction. And don't even get me started on firmware, each version fixed one thing while introducing two problems. I don't understand how they're so popular.

I'm yet to try Dualsense, but the lack of native support on Windows makes me hesitant to pay for it. It's possible to play any game through Steam Big Picture mode, but that's a hassle imo.

Other than that, I've had Logitech F310, wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The deadzones are simply too big for any kind of serious gaming. D-pad is enough for emulators, but it doesn't mean much when analogue sticks are almost unusable.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm yet to try Dualsense, but the lack of native support on Windows makes me hesitant to pay for it. It's possible to play any game through Steam Big Picture mode, but that's a hassle imo.
It has as much native support as any other d-input controller. You can use ds4windows to emulate an Xbox controller with a ds and also use it to control the led and customize various other aspects

"it has native dinput support"

"Just use this extremely dodgy third party driver to make it appear like an Xbox controller, which uses xinput rather than dinput and generally sucks"

Unfortunately, unless you're on Linux where the native joypad drivers pick up a dual sense automatically, you're basically going to have to use some extremely crusty third party drivers.

It's why I never bought a dual sense before switching to Linux. I had tried one a few times and had horrible experiences each time.

Consider this a warning: Do not use a dual sense on windows ever under any circumstances. Anyone telling you it's a good experience is lying. Anyone who says it has native support has no idea what they are talking about.

If you need a decent controller use a series X controller. If you need a good gyro your only option on windows is the steam controller.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
There is nothing buggy about using a dual sense with ds4windows. Have you actually used it? I've been using it for years with no problems. I've been using it since I was on a dual shock 3

Last time I used ds4windows it had a memory leak.

So yes I've used it. Yes it's not very well made. I don't mean to disparage the person who made it, I applaud their efforts, but making device drivers is hard and I don't expect many people to get it right.

Even in the best possible case, it's not a real device driver. It's emulating an Xbox controller. Which means good luck having any accuracy in your gyro controls or the touchpad, and you'll forever have Xbox glyphs in your games. It's not a viable solution at all, and things like Steam Input that are supposed to detect controllers and provide glyphs and layouts don't work correctly as a result. And that's the best case. The dual shock will always be a second class citizen on windows (and on any PC os, but to a lesser extent).

As for "I've used it and it works fine for me". I don't care. Millions of people use iOS every day and think it's fine. That doesn't mean it's not a frustratingly awfully designed system that barely works.

I'm sorry. I know I'm coming across as a complete asshole. I'm just trying to make sure the OP gets a good experience, and I don't want them to buy a PlayStation controller with the idea that they can just use a magical piece of software to make it all work, and then get slapped with disappointment when reality sets in. I feel it's much better for them to get a different choice that will serve them much better and result in less jank, and there are plenty of equally good if not better controllers on the market they can use instead. Plus it means they don't have to give money to Sony for overpriced hardware they literally refuse to support, which is always a bonus.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Sounds like you used it years ago before ryochan7 took over the project. The dude puts out updates constantly and I believe your information is at least 5 years out of date.

I don't use Steam's controller config because it's shit so I can't comment on compatibility with it but everything else you said is retarded and/or incorrect. I don't use gyros or the touch pad either. I don't know why anyone would expect that to work on Windows or what they would try to use it for. There are no PC games made for that.

Many games will let you set the button display manually and even if they don't you are a retard if your brain can't translate from Xbox button promts to Sony. Not to mention that if a game has button prompts for Sony, that means the game supports the pad natively and you can just close ds4windows for that game. I personally don't though since I like to keep the led off to save battery.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Almost bought a new DualSense controller yesterday for the sweet price of $35 (USD). But is it worth the upgrade over the DualShock 4 (the best controller I ever used, btw... I don't buy those $200+ super elite supreme deluxe things)? I'd be using it with DS4Windows. Just don't want to buy this thing and discover battery life is a fucking fraction of what it is for the DS4 or starts to drift within a week or some shit like that. Anyone here "upgrade" from a DS4 to a DS5 and can advise with tales of success or buyer's remorse? I've been using the same DS4 controller that I bought at Newegg 8 years ago so it's no wonder I think it's the best controller for PC/consoles the world has ever known.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Almost bought a new DualSense controller yesterday for the sweet price of $35 (USD). But is it worth the upgrade over the DualShock 4 (the best controller I ever used, btw... I don't buy those $200+ super elite supreme deluxe things)? I'd be using it with DS4Windows. Just don't want to buy this thing and discover battery life is a fucking fraction of what it is for the DS4 or starts to drift within a week or some shit like that. Anyone here "upgrade" from a DS4 to a DS5 and can advise with tales of success or buyer's remorse? I've been using the same DS4 controller that I bought at Newegg 8 years ago so it's no wonder I think it's the best controller for PC/consoles the world has ever known.
I upgraded from a ds4 to a ds5. It was so long ago that I can't really give you specific details, but it did seem like a pretty big improvement to me. I absolutely love my dual sense. The battery life is in fact worse, but if you turn off the LED it's about the same if not better. Where did you find one for $35? I'd kind of like to switch to a black one and it would be nice to have a second one for multiplayer.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I upgraded from a ds4 to a ds5. It was so long ago that I can't really give you specific details, but it did seem like a pretty big improvement to me. I absolutely love my dual sense. The battery life is in fact worse, but if you turn off the LED it's about the same if not better. Where did you find one for $35? I'd kind of like to switch to a black one and it would be nice to have a second one for multiplayer.
Unfortunately, I always turned the LED lightbar off on my DS4 controllers (or set to the lowest possible brightness setting using DS4Windows) so likely i will notice it's worse but hopefully not horrible. On the other hand, since I'm using the same DS4 controller I was 8 years ago, I'm sure the charge capacity of the battery in it has diminished somewhat. I still get about 12-15 hours use out of it. I was thinking of getting a generic USB mic for my PC but this has one built in so that's a bonus at least if I do get it.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I always turned the lightbar off on my mine too. I think when the dual sense first released, it took a while for that option to work in ds4windows with it, so the battery life was horrid for me for a while. I'd guess the battery in mine probably lasts 10-12 hours with the led off, but I've never really thought about it much. It charges fast enough that I can just charge it while I take a break to make food or something without any fear of running low if I'm gaming all day on the weekend. What I can say for sure is that the sticks and buttons feel much better to me. I also find it harder to accidentally hit the start button, which I think was a problem for me sometimes with the ds4. I have mine set to use the right side of the touchpad as start and the left side as select, which is much more comfortable for me than anything else. I never use the actual start and select buttons (or whatever the fuck they are called on a ds5).

I don't think the built in microphone works in Windows because I didn't even know it had one and I don't see it in my sound properties. That might be a wired only thing. I use bluetooth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom