Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What PC Controller Isn't Shit These Days?

Modron

Arcane
They even have cock precision rings for controller sticks now.
interesting I wonder if they would help with loose joysticks and drift. Also makes me wonder if there are any after market Nintendo-like joystick gates out there; you know that frame around the Nintendo 64 joysticks and beyond that let you rapidly lock in 8 cardinal directions:

1024px-N64-Controller-Gray.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
interesting I wonder if they would help with loose joysticks and drift.

No. The drift comes from how the potentiometers interact within the module, so anything that modifies how the physical stick movement operates wouldn't affect what's happening inside the potentiometer. The best thing one can do for drift is to use third-party software like ReWASD, Anti-micro, or Steam Input, to make your own custom deadzones (area within which stick movement doesn't register as an input) so that the "drift" stays inside the deadzone. Obviously this is only a band aid as the bigger your deadzone the less 'responsive' your analog stick movement becomes, and after about 10-15% deadzone it really feels bad enough that it's not even worth using.

Most modern video games implement a basic 5% deadzone without telling you about it, originating from the center of the stick. This is why the camera movement doesn't begin to appear in the game until your stick has moved physically from the center. Some Japanese games even put in a 10% deadzone, usually Nintendo games. Nowadays more and more games are coming with in-game menu options for deadzone though, and that's nice. It's why suddenly even normies know about terms like 'response curve' and 'deadzone', mainly because games like Apex Legends and Fortnite allow you to customize your deadzone and analog response curve.

Here is a random gif I found showing a deadzone:
radial_dead_zone_inner.gif

Based off eyeball estimation I'd say this is around a 15% deadzone. Any stick movement within that center circle won't be registered by the game. It's only after the green dot (the stick movement) passes outside the circle that the game registers an input. Analog 'drift' is when the green movement dot isn't centered and is instead 'drifting' off to a direction, and if it's severe enough it will be past most game's default deadzones and thus the camera or character will start 'moving by themselves'.

So yeah, you can technically "fix" drift by enlarging the deadzone but after a certain percentage it basically becomes unusable anyway. Personally I can't stand playing with more than 10% deadzone.

Oh, and you can also use those same programs I mentioned to "override" the game's default deadzone and implement your own. I currently use a 4% deadzone on most games, so it's pretty damn response, and I also like using what they call "dynamic" response curves. Most games use either a linear response curve (1 degree of analog movement equates to 1% of acceleration), or what's called a "wide curve" where it's a sagging linear curve. Some image examples:

-OaTEfwmeGS-gu97G643kqS32EAw8xMUwckaSqv3eOs.jpg

So basically, as you can see there, a standard linear response curve means that when your analog stick is at 20% 'tilt' it will be outputting 20% acceleration. It should be 1:1, but curves can be modified using acceleration and deceleration modifiers.

The blue line in that image is an example of a "wide" response curve, it's essentially similar to a linear curve except it accelerates "slower", i.e. when the stick is moved 20% it's accelerating at around 10%.

A 'dynamic' curve is like an S curve, or a reverse S curve, where it accelerates more quickly in the beginning of the stick movement (first 50 degrees), and then the line sags downward for the remaining half. The reverse S curve is the opposite, with very slow acceleration during the first 50 degrees of movement and then line shoots up afterwards.

When in doubt, go default linear. Annoyingly some games use wacky acceleration modifiers and it's very useful to override them with input software like ReWASD, Anti-micro or Steam input. Yet another benefit of gaming on PC, you can't use any of this stuff if you're stuck on console.

Also makes me wonder if there are any after market Nintendo-like joystick gates out there

Yes. This is an eXtremeRate Octagonal Faceplate https://www.amazon.com/eXtremeRate-Replacement-Nintendo-Switch-Controller-Controller/dp/B08MFC52FJ
61r6gxRoj3L._SX522_.jpg

EDIT: Here's a photo of my current ReWASD response curve for Shadow of the Tomb Raider:
ReWASD_Zone.png

It's not "universal" because some games utilize hidden acceleration/deceleration modifiers which can't be disabled, such as this game. Tomb Raider 3 here has a hidden deceleration modifier which ReWASD nor Steam Input are capable of overriding, which is why I'm using such aggressive acceleration; when my analog stick is at 20% it's already steering around 30% of acceleration.

Something that helps is to visualize analog response as steering a ship, with modifiers which make it go faster or slow it down. For first-person camera games I use a reverse S curve. Slow movement in the first 50 degrees then fast movement in the latter final 50 degrees, though I also like using linear 1:1 on them. I can go either way, depends mostly on whether the particular game does anything wacky on its input handling; most modern games have stopped adding hidden modifiers but there's always that one exception.

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Are modern controllers (ones good for Dark Souls) good for psx games? Is it better to get a retro controller fit for those games rather than a modern one if I'm mostly going to play the old games, or is the modern controller just fine for all purposes?
Modern controllers are almost always preferable (my understanding is that fighting games are the major exception to this rule, but I don't play those). I'm sure as shit not using an N64 controller ever again.
Not even one of these?

71tq-Xed-Kfm-L-AC-SX679.jpg

Gastrick

Cipher
I was having the same problem as OP with my DS4, but just replacing the cord was all it took to get it working again. It should be a lot cheaper too than buying an entirely new controller.

Lorebrok

Educated
PS5 or Xbox pad are solid choices. Im completely satisfied with my ps5 pad, works like a charm and is quite comfy

fork

Xbox One and Series pads are pieces of junk. Most of them come with some kind of defect out of the box (bad headphone port, one or more sticky buttons, double-clicky buttons, even dead buttons, stick drift etc.) and those that don't do not last long if you use them regularly. I have no idea how modern playstation pads are quality-wise, but for most emulation purposes I still use my DS2 pads!

Ezekiel

Arcane
Keeping an eye on this. Mainly wondering if so many moving parts will hurt build quality and if the battery life is still as bad as they say.

Introducing the DualSense Edge wireless controller, the ultra-customizable controller for PlayStation 5

aTpvaQZ.png

iREowde.png

Ultra-customizable controls: You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours by remapping or deactivating specific button inputs and fine-tuning your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones (the distance your analog stick moves before it’s recognized in a game). In addition, each trigger is adjustable with options to tailor travel distance and dead zones to your preference. For example, you can manually reduce travel distance of the triggers for faster inputs in competitive FPS games or reduce the dead zone for precise throttle control in racing games.

Ability to save multiple control profiles: Once you’ve found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on the fly. With the DualSense Edge wireless controller, you’ll always have your preferred controls for your games ready to go, whether you’re facing Norse gods and monsters in God of War Ragnarök, or rival players in an online battle royale.

On-controller user interface: The dedicated Fn button allows you to easily adjust your setup while staying focused on the in-game action – quickly swap between your pre-set control profiles, adjust game volume and chat balance, and access the controller profile settings menu to set up and test new control iterations while in game.

Changeable stick caps and back buttons: Three types of swappable stick caps (standard, high dome, and low dome) help you stay comfortable in game while maintaining grip and stability. The two swappable sets of back buttons (half-dome and lever) can be configured to be any other button input, putting more essential controls at your fingertips.

Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately).

Built-in DualSense wireless controller features: The DualSense Edge wireless controller retains the signature comfort and immersive experience of the DualSense wireless controller when playing supported games, including haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, built-in microphone, motion controls, and more.

In addition to the included stick caps and back button sets, the DualSense Edge wireless controller comes with a USB Type-C braided cable, which uses a connector housing to lock into the controller so it’s much less likely to slip out at a crucial moment. The included carrying case, which keeps your DualSense Edge wireless controller and components together and organized in one place, allows you to charge the controller via USB connection while it’s stored in the case.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm pretty happy with the regular dual sense and don't really care about any of those features. The battery life is fine. I keep the LED turned off to save battery though.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I'm pretty happy with the regular dual sense and don't really care about any of those features. The battery life is fine. I keep the LED turned off to save battery though.
Turning off the LED pretty much gives me extra HOURS of life on the controller. It is insane how much battery life is tied to those stupid LEDs.

somerandomdude

Learned
Most controllers are garbage these days, I end up getting stick drift after 3-6 months on pretty much any one of them I've owned in recent years. Turns out, the popular controllers, Xbox, Sony, and even the Switch pro all use the same garbage sticks made by a company called alps. Even the Xbox elite controller uses these junk sticks.

The best option is to buy a warranty at gamestop on the controllers, it's an extra $10-$11, and it's for a full year of warranty, but it only covers 1 replacement. The thing is, no pad is ever going to last me a year, and when I bring it back they'll renew my warranty again for another $10-$11. Games like Monster Hunter World will wear your sticks out in very short order, I went through 6 pads in 2 years of playing Monster Hunter games on PC.

It's either that, or buy cheap wired $20 controllers, but it's honestly cheaper to just pay for warranties and get a dual sense 5, or similar controller. On the cheaper controllers, I noticed the buttons wear out on those even before the sticks do, especially the cheap Xbox controllers.

I got a hori arcade stick for Xbox 360 that I put something like 3600hrs of gaming on, playing fighting games, so I was burning up some cycles on these parts, so it's not like these manufacturers don't know how to make quality, they do, but these pads are junk/planned obsolescence.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Keeping an eye on this. Mainly wondering if so many moving parts will hurt build quality and if the battery life is still as bad as they say.

Introducing the DualSense Edge wireless controller, the ultra-customizable controller for PlayStation 5

aTpvaQZ.png

iREowde.png

Ultra-customizable controls: You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours by remapping or deactivating specific button inputs and fine-tuning your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones (the distance your analog stick moves before it’s recognized in a game). In addition, each trigger is adjustable with options to tailor travel distance and dead zones to your preference. For example, you can manually reduce travel distance of the triggers for faster inputs in competitive FPS games or reduce the dead zone for precise throttle control in racing games.

Ability to save multiple control profiles: Once you’ve found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on the fly. With the DualSense Edge wireless controller, you’ll always have your preferred controls for your games ready to go, whether you’re facing Norse gods and monsters in God of War Ragnarök, or rival players in an online battle royale.

On-controller user interface: The dedicated Fn button allows you to easily adjust your setup while staying focused on the in-game action – quickly swap between your pre-set control profiles, adjust game volume and chat balance, and access the controller profile settings menu to set up and test new control iterations while in game.

Changeable stick caps and back buttons: Three types of swappable stick caps (standard, high dome, and low dome) help you stay comfortable in game while maintaining grip and stability. The two swappable sets of back buttons (half-dome and lever) can be configured to be any other button input, putting more essential controls at your fingertips.

Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately).

Built-in DualSense wireless controller features: The DualSense Edge wireless controller retains the signature comfort and immersive experience of the DualSense wireless controller when playing supported games, including haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, built-in microphone, motion controls, and more.

In addition to the included stick caps and back button sets, the DualSense Edge wireless controller comes with a USB Type-C braided cable, which uses a connector housing to lock into the controller so it’s much less likely to slip out at a crucial moment. The included carrying case, which keeps your DualSense Edge wireless controller and components together and organized in one place, allows you to charge the controller via USB connection while it’s stored in the case.
200 dollars, announced today...

Ezekiel

Arcane
Want a controller without a stupid touchpad pushing the Options and Start buttons to the sides, up close to the face buttons where my thumb can unintentionally rub up against them, also preferably with removable batteries, but most are modelled after the Xbox controllers, which I don't find that comfortable. But it's been years since I've held an Xbox One controller. I miss store kiosks. Years ago, I would have just walked down the street and tried the Xbox One controller.

Modron

Arcane
I want wired versions that cost 20 dollars less because they can skip the wasteful shit like batteries and wireless components.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Not enough buttons imho.
So I see this:

And think, what about even more buttons. I want more than 4 (x-box, ps5 buttons), i want genesis/arcade stick 6-8 buttonswith maybe autofire toggles. I want a slow-mo button lije old nes advsntage controller & others and

Hmmm??
Hmmmmmmmmm????
eoXZXpQ.jpg

fYuEuZy.jpg

DPmF4Nq.jpg

Fan0tMW.jpg

MaX9j9J.jpg

And the driving wheel and the action spinner on the super action...

BUTTONS!!!!!!!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Reply from Thrustmaster about my nascar wheel

We thank you for contacting Thrustmaster Technical Support.

It indeed seems like since the latest update of the support website, the form doesn't translate the countries and languages and display them in French (since we are based in France).

Unfortunately, since this product is part of our legacy products, we don't offer any drivers for it.

I transferred your ticket to the adequate department to see if we still have the manual for this product.

We will contact you as soon as we can.

We wish you a nice day and remain at your disposal for any further questions.

Best regards,
Lucas, your Thrustmaster agent.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Want a controller without a stupid touchpad pushing the Options and Start buttons to the sides, up close to the face buttons where my thumb can unintentionally rub up against them, also preferably with removable batteries, but most are modelled after the Xbox controllers, which I don't find that comfortable. But it's been years since I've held an Xbox One controller. I miss store kiosks. Years ago, I would have just walked down the street and tried the Xbox One controller.
PS5 gamepad has most of this covered. The touch pad doesn't do anything in windows and it can be used as start and select buttons because it's clicky on both sides. No removable battery though.

ADL

Prophet
Grab an Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 off Amazon or eBay used/refurbished (with a warranty because of stick drift and component failure) for slightly more than the cost of a standard Xbox controller at retail. Paid $75 for it with a 3 year warranty through SquareTrade. Back paddles are a non-negotiable after using the Steam Controller for so long.
605c37d5-663e-4690-8a52-d866398f6d17.jpg

somerandomdude

Learned
The stick drift issues are solved if the controller uses hall-effect sensors like the 8 bit do ultimate (and a few others). It's not exactly new, it's 30 year old tech. The only reason to not use hall-effect sensors in joysticks would be planned obsolescence. Buttons will wear out before the hall-effect sticks, but sticky buttons are an easy fix, there's a magnetic rubber pad underneath the buttons on most types of controllers, and this pad gets torn and causes buttons to stick/misfire, and it's far easier to swap those out than joysticks that are soldered in.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/60702/sega-solved-the-drift-issue-almost-30-years-ago-heres-how

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is the Steam controller good at all by the way? I read a while back that it's very flimsy. I want it because it's supposedly easy to map, but I haven't played a video game so it's not life or death. Just, I would like to see if it'd be cool to play BG on a controller. I've heard BG on the Switch is "the best way to play it."

Edit: wow, they discontinued it!? Damn, should've bought one when I wanted to play PoE with a controller, and the devs said that it's made for that in mind or something like that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom