Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What PC Controller Isn't Shit These Days?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The mouse and the keyboard.
Sometimes you just need analog controls though. Some games just suck with a mouse too. I tried to play Star Wars Squadrons for the first time the other day and I made it about 10 minutes before I said "fuck this" and bought a HOTAS

Joystick for flight sims.

M&KB for everything else.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Hot take: people who think KB&M is better at everything just suck at using the controller.

Change my mind.

For anything to do with driving i want analog steering and ideally throttle and brake control.
Twin stick shooters are playable with mouse and keyboard, but then you have to keep track of the cursor position along with your character's position, rather than just pointing the joystick where you want bullets to go, which causes problems.
Games designed for consoles, like monster hunter, play a lot better with a controller. Plus anything to do with console emulation.

Mouse and Keyboard are better for FPS, isometric anything, sim/management type games, really most PC stuff is better with a mouse and keyboard. But not all of it.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Keyboard is actually the best way to play fighting games. At least for me. Way better than a gamepad and I can't play with a stick at all

Keyboard is actually the best way to play fighting games. At least for me. Way better than a gamepad and I can't play with a stick at all
I could see that if you always played that way. But all my muscle memory is with a dpad. I agree, fighting games with a stick are terrible. It's the same problem as with the sloppy d-pads, only 10x worse. Although somehow the first soul caliber seemed to somehow work ok with the joystick...

Ladonna

Arcane
I don't use a controller for anything, but I got the kids a couple of the Logitech 310's and they are happy with them.

Humbaba

Arcane
Not to mention that those fucking sticks are unreasonably expensive for being 80's tier technological hardware. Only drawback is that you can't plug in keyboards into consoles.

ferratilis

Magister
idk how people use those massive xbox controllers, I hate them
Are you a midget? The Xbox controller is on the smaller side, my hands get cramped after longer sessions.

Although, controllers have been getting smaller and smaller over the years, maybe you're referring to 360 controller?

Codex Year of the Donut
Although, controllers have been getting smaller and smaller over the years, maybe you're referring to 360 controller?
I'm referring to this thing, the only xbox controller I've ever seen
Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg

ferratilis

Magister
They've gotten significantly smaller since then. Microsoft tried to get into the Asian market with OG Xbox, and one of the biggest hurdles was the size of the controller, so they redesigned it. That redesign was the basis for modern Xbox controller, and they've been getting smaller ever since.

XboxOriginalController.jpg

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Not to mention that those fucking sticks are unreasonably expensive for being 80's tier technological hardware. Only drawback is that you can't plug in keyboards into consoles.
There is actually something you can buy that's built like a stick but has buttons instead of a stick. It doesn't work for me for two reasons though.

1) the movement buttons are all in a row instead of a wasd like setup
2) I play using the arrow keys for movement and asdzxc for attacks, which I guess is left handed. They don't make a left handed version.

I'm referring to this thing, the only xbox controller I've ever seen
Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg
Haha, that thing was so ridiculous. Nobody with normal sized hands could hit those black and white buttons without moving their whole hand.

But yeah they've gotten smaller and more reasonable since then, and ditched the black and white buttons for shoulder buttons (or bumpers as they call them in ye moderne tymes.)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dualshock 4 I was using for less than 2 years now won't stay connected (gains/loses connection repeatedly every second unless left on perfectly flat surface, no it's not the cable), and fuck if I'm going to give money to modern Soyny for a replacement. Any suggestions?

I use a Razer Wolverine Ultimate and love it. Feels orgasmic to use for playing vidya. Ebonsword already posted pics above and I also love and use the additional Top Buttons as the LS and RS click-in buttons.

That thing is the best controller I've ever used, and the additional buttons are incredibly useful when combined with Input/Rebinding software like ReWASD (or Steam Input).

Simple tricks one can do with software is mixing and matching controller inputs with the keyboard hotkeys to create a perfect control scheme, for example in some games I put 1-4 alphanumeric keys on the D-PAD for quick weapon access, and then bind the keyboard arrow key inputs as 'on release of button' inputs using ReWASD so that way I retain menu management inside menus, since in most games the arrow keys replace the D-PAD inputs when inside a menu.

Dualshock 4 I was using for less than 2 years now won't stay connected (gains/loses connection repeatedly every second unless left on perfectly flat surface, no it's not the cable), and fuck if I'm going to give money to modern Soyny for a replacement. Any suggestions?

I use a Razer Wolverine Ultimate and love it. Feels orgasmic to use for playing vidya. Ebonsword already posted pics above and I also love and use the additional Top Buttons as the LS and RS click-in buttons.

That thing is the best controller I've ever used, and the additional buttons are incredibly useful when combined with Input/Rebinding software like ReWASD (or Steam Input).

Simple tricks one can do with software is mixing and matching controller inputs with the keyboard hotkeys to create a perfect control scheme, for example in some games I put 1-4 alphanumeric keys on the D-PAD for quick weapon access, and then bind the keyboard arrow key inputs as 'on release of button' inputs using ReWASD so that way I retain menu management inside menus, since in most games the arrow keys replace the D-PAD inputs when inside a menu.
So it's a little over 100 bux, looking on the internets. How long have you had it? I could justify spending that on a controller if it were going to stay in good shape for a few years, I feel like a button or joystick or trigger always ends up worn out on me after a little while, but I can justify that if I'm just buying 30 dollar controllers.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

So it's a little over 100 bux, looking on the internets. How long have you had it? I could justify spending that on a controller if it were going to stay in good shape for a few years, I feel like a button or joystick or trigger always ends up worn out on me after a little while, but I can justify that if I'm just buying 30 dollar controllers.

All controller companies use the same parts and suppliers, including the even more expensive Super Duper Elite controllers like the Microsoft Xbox Elite controllers or those Scuf/Battle Beaver $300 dollar controllers. What this means is that reliability factor is basically the same on all of the big brand name controllers.

I've had a Razer Wolverine Tournament Edition and it lasted me a good 2.5 years before the A button began becoming loose; further inspection opening the controller revealed the little rubber bungie between the button and the mechanical switch (Razer controllers use mechanical switch buttons, one of their best features) tore itself in half for some ungodly reason.
So since that specific rubber part isn't sold (so I could replace it myself), I decided to buy the Razer Wolverine Ultimate, which is the upgrade to the Tournament Edition.

So far I've had it for around 3 months and everything's working perfectly fine, though I did get it an extended warranty just in case. If the A button hadn't gotten fucked I'd still be using my Wolverine T.E., as both are essentially the same except with a different amount of back buttons.

I do like that the Wolverine Ultimate comes with additional analog thumbsticks though, with a Tall thumbstick for use on the right analog which allows for better leverage when aiming and finer control. The mechanical switch face-buttons are the star of the show though, and of course the additiona Top and Back buttons. Once you get used to all of these things it's hard to go back to default controllers.

EDIT: Oh the Razer controllers also have a different tension and feel to their analog sticks which makes them feel a lot better during use than the default ones on a stock Xbox controller; and at least on the Wolverine Ultimate you can also replace the left analog stick with a shorter and wider one that is meant for faster movement, and it has a wider shaft which produces super pleasing movement and even sounds nicer when knocking against the side of the friction ring.

If you do get a Razer controller I recommend getting an extended warranty, but bear in mind I'd recommend this for *any* controller, it isn't an insult to the Razer ones, it's something I consider necessary for any controller. They all source from the same manufacturers so like I said earlier, there is no magical controller that will last longer. They all have the same chances of breaking a button or developing stick drift, doesn't matter how much you paid for it.

EDIT 2: The triggers are also WAY better on the Razer controllers, at least compared to the default ones on stock Xbox controllers. Using the triggers on stock Xbox controllers now feels gross to me. And the Razer ones come with "trigger stops" which optionally allow you to shorten the travel time of the triggers, though I personally don't use that much.

EDIT 3: Oh and just so I don't sound like a Razer marketing plant, I'm planning on buying this one soon:
Flydigi Apex 2. It looks really good, and it also comes with additional top and back buttons AND mechanical switches underneath every button, but additionally it also comes with Gyro (which Razer ones don't have).

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Are modern controllers (ones good for Dark Souls) good for psx games? Is it better to get a retro controller fit for those games rather than a modern one if I'm mostly going to play the old games, or is the modern controller just fine for all purposes?

ferratilis

Magister
I played Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Tenchu and others using an Xbox controller and had no problems whatsoever. The only thing you have to get used to is the layout. Or just get a PS4/5 controller, people say it has better D-pad. But both should be just fine tbh. Xbox 360 was the only one with terrible D-pad.

Are modern controllers (ones good for Dark Souls) good for psx games? Is it better to get a retro controller fit for those games rather than a modern one if I'm mostly going to play the old games, or is the modern controller just fine for all purposes?
Modern controllers are almost always preferable (my understanding is that fighting games are the major exception to this rule, but I don't play those). I'm sure as shit not using an N64 controller ever again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom