Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What shitty MMO do you keep coming back to?

Catalina

Scholar
For me it'd have to be Final Fantasy XI. Terribly unforgiving, outdated gameplay wherein everything takes takes a ludicrious amount of effort and time...but such an enchanting world and atmosphere. And the tarutarus. They're so damn cute. The playerbase is another factor, as well. I'd have quit a long time ago if I hadn't met so many good friends through it.

wb6nnq.jpg

Troll

Scholar
for me it has to be real life... i try to keep it away but sometimes i fail

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I tried FFXI. It's a beautiful looking game, and it loads incredibly quickly.

But, it's impossible to play without finding parties constantly and it's almost impossible to find them quickly. Gave up after reaching level 20 in Valkurm.

Also, the combat is really fairly boring in those first 20 levels, even as a Red Mage (and they already get quite a bit to do, heal, damage, buff...).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jas you should've played DDO with us when it was still a hot topic. The parties were always there and it was a very pleasant experience due to a lack of teenage morons. It was also fun with Codexers, we could've easily spend 1 hour doing some quest for 0 xp while constantly dying just for the sake of it.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Used to be SWG. When the Nostalgia hit me too hard I would sign up again only to be reminded how much SOE raped it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I used to play WoW but I broke the habit a few months ago. Occasionally I still get the shakes.

Qkieu

Educated
WoW. Every now and then me and my cousin have an urge to waste some hours in Azeroth ;) Usually PvPing ;]

Silellak

Cipher
Catalina said:
For me it'd have to be Final Fantasy XI. Terribly unforgiving, outdated gameplay wherein everything takes takes a ludicrious amount of effort and time...but such an enchanting world and atmosphere. And the tarutarus. They're so damn cute. The playerbase is another factor, as well. I'd have quit a long time ago if I hadn't met so many good friends through it.
This is how all MMO's get you. Long after the gameplay has become old and stale, and ceased to be fun, people continue to fork over $15 a month because they have emotional ties to their own characters and to those they meet through it.

It'd almost be beautiful if it wasn't so insidious.

Grifthin

Educated
Warhammer online: Age of reckoning. Just to damn hard to find parties these days. REally enjoyed the RVR.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
hal900x said:
Was considering DAoC but never jumped. Can't believe it's still around. Still the best MMO I've played...too bad I never tried UO :(

You would have been too late. AFAIK, most of the PvP-crowd from UO mainly moved to DAoC after the whole carebear Felucca/Trammel-fiasco - at least in Europe. That was in... 2000? 1999?

hal900x

Augur
GarfunkeL said:
hal900x said:
Was considering DAoC but never jumped. Can't believe it's still around. Still the best MMO I've played...too bad I never tried UO :(

You would have been too late. AFAIK, most of the PvP-crowd from UO mainly moved to DAoC after the whole carebear Felucca/Trammel-fiasco - at least in Europe. That was in... 2000? 1999?

Yeah. I didn't discover MMOs until the time of DAoC. I really regret not being around for the golden age of UO, now that I know more about it. It's weird because I was a huge Ultima fan. My memory is fuzzy, but I'm guessing the single-player series must have been going downhill around the time of UO, otherwise I think I would have tried it.

dscape750

Novice
Not sure how you guys feel about it but UOGamers server is pretty close to how UO used to be. If you haven't played UO before you should give that server a try.
I'm done with MMOs personally. I would return to UO but it's hard to stay skilled at the PvP once you left for a long time. It's like starting from scratch and getting into the habits all over again.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
WoW, it's the only game that my pussy friends can survive without breaking down like a tweenie whore who's just been dumped. I occasionally go back to EverQuest, but quickly lose interest because it's boring to play without all my buddies.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Hobo Elf said:
WoW, it's the only game that my pussy friends can survive without breaking down like a tweenie whore who's just been dumped.

An eleven year old whore that's been dumped. Nice.

Codex is full of upstanding people, I see.

Ebola1717

Novice
Guild Wars. Well, I don't consider it that shitty, but there's really no goals, since relatively good loot is easy to get, and from there, it's just differences in appearance. But I love the art style, so I come back every now and then.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
thekdawg21 said:
Hobo Elf said:
WoW, it's the only game that my pussy friends can survive without breaking down like a tweenie whore who's just been dumped.

Codex is full of upstanding people, I see.

Ever seen one cry? Boy can they make sound.

thekdawg21 said:
Hobo Elf said:

"Sit on my lap, I'll cheer you up" :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom