Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What shitty MMO do you keep coming back to?

I still do the random PvP areas every once in a while in Guild Wars. Never tried any MMO's that required a monthly payment, because I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay 15 bucks to spend an hour of game time per month.

Tails

Arbiter
FOnline, since there was a wipe few days ago and the economic changed completely.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Never tried any MMO's that required a monthly payment, because I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay 15 bucks to spend an hour of game time per month.

Your choice. Personally that 15 bucks a month comes much cheaper for me since I get suckered up by MMOs quite easily. I won't need to play any other games that month, so I don't have to buy anything either. Or I could not play a MMO and buy a few new games, easily spending more than the monthly sub, even if I buy games on sale.

Redeye

Arcane
Tails said:
FOnline, since there was a wipe few days ago and the economic changed completely.

It's been down a lot in those few days.

Mostly during times I want to log on.

I can't wait to get back to the griefing.

Hobo Elf said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Never tried any MMO's that required a monthly payment, because I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay 15 bucks to spend an hour of game time per month.

Your choice. Personally that 15 bucks a month comes much cheaper for me since I get suckered up by MMOs quite easily. I won't need to play any other games that month, so I don't have to buy anything either. Or I could not play a MMO and buy a few new games, easily spending more than the monthly sub, even if I buy games on sale.

Paying for MMO sucks because you feel like you should play. If it's free, you can just chillax and explore the world or something or talk to retarded people or dance for gold.

Once you pay, it's all OH GOD I SHOULD BE GRINDING RIGHT NOW EVERYONE IS GRINDING AND I'M STILL SAME LEVEL I WAS THIS MORNING

Rhalle

Magister
This is an easy question: Lineage I

On private server now. Released in 1999. Electronic crack. You can't quit it.

Oh, you'll try to quit it. But it's not possible.

Surfing the codex while waiting for Pirate Island boat to leave:

24lkfsx.jpg

And, oh: This game, on live servers, is THE WORST GRIND EVER. No contest.

When 50 was the highest lvl, at lvl 49 you could grind all day in the high lvl zone for 1% xp. My private server is at 7x XP, and it still takes a long, long time.

Rhalle

Magister
Tiles? Yah, I guess it does; it's not turn-based or anything.

It's a click-to-attack item/lvl grinder, but there's lots of cool content/spells/skills; bosses spawn on timers, lots of zones. PvP. Castle seiges.

Population is low so it isn't as cool as it once was. The old seiges used to be great.

The visuals are probably hard to get used to in 2009, especially since the old character sprites are synced with every frame, so movement (unless you use a high-lvl polymorph) is choppy. And the low low res is unchangeable. This SS looks a lot better than how it plays. But I'm used to it.

Couple more screens:

In the PI shop. My inventory on the right:
a5c9rc.jpg

More PI with a Lizard mob:
2s5yxir.jpg

This is a resource site:

www.linlib.com

This is my PS site:

www.retrib.net

Rhalle said:
Tiles? Yah, I guess it does; it's not turn-based or anything.

herp derp. Just because it has tiles doesn't mean it's turnbased. Remember Diablo?

Don't bother with links, I am already married to a korean MMO.

sparrowtm

Insert Disk 22
Developer
Neocron. Fuck you, Neocron. You´re shit. But still, I love you.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Darkfall.

I just started about a week ago on the NA server. I wanted to try it on release, but there were too many problems and the fact my pings from Aus. to EU are way too high. NA is much better.

Game is fucking hardcore. All skill based, i.e. no levels. You can be killed by anyone, anywhere at any time, so you're always looking over your sholder or listening for footstps or the sounds of battle. It's pretty intense, because if you die you can be looted and loose whatever you are carrying. So you need to bank your stuff regularly.

The world is massive (the lagest online world ever created - so they tell me) and completely seemless and instance free. It's beautiful too and a pleasure to explore. Everything seems hand placed, no copy-pasta. There's caves, dungeons, encampments etc. everywhere - you just never now what you're going to stumble upon.

Unlike most MMO's, the mobs actually have A.I. and use tactics/cover and they'll call their friends and try to flank you. There is NO aggro system, just line of sight/sound. (never heard of that before in an MMO). Combat is real-time and you have to aim your attacks. If you take a hit in the back it does 40% more damage (same goes for mobs). A large two handed sword for example can hit multiple enemies at once and arrows from bows are effected by gravity (they have an arc).

The game is heavily PvP focused, though I'm having a blast just exploring the world atm. The grind is a bit of a killer though.

Don't know how long I'll stick it out for, but if they keep improving the game the way they have been - this could turn into the next UO.

Dammit, I came to this post hoping to call it the best Cambrios cross-spam ever:-(

Oh, and on topic, I'll go with those saying 'surfing the Codex'. I just keep envisaging the waste output from Mr Burn's plant in the episode where he turns it into a mass seafood+sewerage-grinder-and-canner, and surfing a king wave of the stuff in to shore:)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
AlaCarcuss said:
Darkfall.

I just started about a week ago on the NA server. I wanted to try it on release, but there were too many problems and the fact my pings from Aus. to EU are way too high. NA is much better.

Game is fucking hardcore. All skill based, i.e. no levels. You can be killed by anyone, anywhere at any time, so you're always looking over your sholder or listening for footstps or the sounds of battle. It's pretty intense, because if you die you can be looted and loose whatever you are carrying. So you need to bank your stuff regularly.

The world is massive (the lagest online world ever created - so they tell me) and completely seemless and instance free. It's beautiful too and a pleasure to explore. Everything seems hand placed, no copy-pasta. There's caves, dungeons, encampments etc. everywhere - you just never now what you're going to stumble upon.

Unlike most MMO's, the mobs actually have A.I. and use tactics/cover and they'll call their friends and try to flank you. There is NO aggro system, just line of sight/sound. (never heard of that before in an MMO). Combat is real-time and you have to aim your attacks. If you take a hit in the back it does 40% more damage (same goes for mobs). A large two handed sword for example can hit multiple enemies at once and arrows from bows are effected by gravity (they have an arc).

The game is heavily PvP focused, though I'm having a blast just exploring the world atm. The grind is a bit of a killer though.

Don't know how long I'll stick it out for, but if they keep improving the game the way they have been - this could turn into the next UO.
I played it for about a month when it first came out on the EU server, and yes it's fun, but the grind and the twitchy combat turned me off. If I wasn't PVPing I had to grind attack my guildmates or endlessly gather materials to keep up with the competition.

And the twitchy combat, oh lord, hold down sprint and bunnyhop around (back then, if not now, sprinting really didn't cost significant stamina) it was like horse jousting on crack. I still don't understand why MMOs make combat twitchy as if that's the only way to represent player skill. The proposed system in Dawntide, for example, makes combat tactical without needing the twitch factor.

The other thing that bothers me about Darkfall is that it doesn't have enough meaning behind its PVP, like Eve does with its economy. I don't know if they put in local banks or ever will, but it needs things like that to give people more motivation to PVP than to make their guild the best on the server.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Mangoose said:
I played it....

Yeah I havn't reached the stage where economy and stuff factor into things yet.

Don't know if it was around when you played, but there is a clan that's been setup to help new players called...well... 'NEW", which I've joined. Most of the high-level clans support it and if you're a member, they'll leave you alone.... or even help you, which is great. I've still been PK'd a few times lol, but nowhere near as much as before I joined.

I'm just gonna enjoy it while it lasts - if I get a month's worth of gameplay out of it - well I'll have got my money's worth. It certainly feels a lot more interesting than most MMO's I've tried. Like I said they're adding stuff all the time so maybe the things you're talking about will get better. But yeah, the grind is the most annoying thing for me atm.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
AlaCarcuss said:
Mangoose said:
I played it....

Yeah I havn't reached the stage where economy and stuff factor into things yet.

Don't know if it was around when you played, but there is a clan that's been setup to help new players called...well... 'NEW", which I've joined. Most of the high-level clans support it and if you're a member, they'll leave you alone.... or even help you, which is great. I've still been PK'd a few times lol, but nowhere near as much as before I joined.

I'm just gonna enjoy it while it lasts - if I get a month's worth of gameplay out of it - well I'll have got my money's worth. It certainly feels a lot more interesting than most MMO's I've tried. Like I said they're adding stuff all the time so maybe the things you're talking about will get better. But yeah, the grind is the most annoying thing for me atm.
Well I haven't played for almost a year already. The NEW guild sounds pretty cool, but I think like Eve you don't really get into the meat of the gameplay until you join a player clan. I never really had trouble with PKers, actually, even when I was starting out; the guard towers did their job.

Is melee combat still "hold down sprint and run in circles jousting"? I remember the prevalent strategy back when I played was to sprint away from your enemy and then jump-turn-bowshot and then continue sprinting away. This is what happens when you add twitch based gameplay with no tactical options (yes, you have some tactics if you learn spells, but purely using melee you have zero options but click click click and dodge).

Ermm

Erudite
Has anyone played Dark Eden?

Description:
''Darkeden is an old school, 2D MMORPG with three factions: the Vampires, Slayers, and Ousters. All three battle each other in a post apocalyptic world rife with guns, swords, and other weapons. While there are only three classes, each progresses differently and is radically different than the rest. The 2D graphics and isometric camera view give Darkeden the same feel as classic action RPGs like Diablo.''

It is a failure but there are some interesting things there.
First of all there are no restrictions to PVP and Gamemasters are almost non-existent. Players (especially vampires) are a real bitches.
Every monster has a different name and it really looks that it was a bad idea. There are zombie Rasputins, some random gargoyle named in strange human name.
Next the game was hacked so hard that it was almost closed.
ENGRISH is baddest as it can get. Some of them are worthy of ridiculing. For example:

I will expect the bests from you!

Let me see. Hmmmj; It is almost broken! Why you didn’t come to me earlier!?

I will drop by you next repairing.

I have been grown up in Eslania all my life.

Although storages are little expensive, it is free after one payment.

Damn it seems that server costs for this are almost non-existent that they still are still keeping this alive.

Aothan

Magister
I've been playing Aion for the last few months. My opinions are somewhat varied on the entertainment quality as a whole, it can be fun but for the solitary player everything depends on significant amounts of time, non-diverging efforts and a great deal of chance. The pvp can be good but is also heavily, often entirely, dependent on classes and items rather than player skill. Otherwise it depends on how badly you have been caught unawares.

the basis of the game has sure potential for future additions, but as is for hack n slash or adventure it is not all that exceptional. If you like fantasy with player vs player combat and have a high tolerance to imbalance and certain equipment differences then there is always battle.

being my first mmorpg I now understand what grinding means :) I thought I already knew from single player rpgs but no..this is different :) Even now I will be dedicating myself to a largely unexciting (incursions are to be anticipated in my selected area/s for experience gain) day or more or ceaseless level advancement so as to obtain one more vital skill for player combat. Then of course I will need to obtain more gold ('kinah') to sufficiently upgrade my weapons, purchase skills, healing supplies etc etc etc

the simplest way to criticise Aion in the current format is to note whether player versus creature combat could be any more bland or what appears to be streamlined for the sole purposes of leveling and gold foraging. Almost all combat is one vs one, the creature might use a special attack or two, the player either counters or endures and continues on to the next identical creature.

sure enough this is the norm, but in many other rpg-type games multiple enemies join battle with a range of different abilities and attacks which requires players to be (maybe only slightly) more attentive and engaged, as well as the possibility of different play styles. Player vs creature combat in Aion could not become more simpler, which is a shame because the level of control and nature of combat skills can make player control fairly enjoyable, it just doesn't change the limited nature of engagement with creatures. I am a big fan of hack-n-slack for all of its perceived simplicity at times, Aion could be a much better game with specific design changes to this area.

as said the player skills are varied and can make character control surprisingly dynamic, as such player combat can be interesting but then --and speaking as a relatively 'skilled' pvper-- equipment availability decides battles far more than it really should.

there is rumour of a new major content patch, what has been 'leaked' definitely sounds good but all remains to be seen. I will be playing for a few more months at least, if nothing more eventuates it was still an enjoyable experience and I can make my way back to single-player rpgs or maybe even return to NWN2 online.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom