Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What should I buy Codex, Civ III or IV?

Civ III or VI?

• III

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • VI

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

oscar

Arcane
The consensus seems to be that Civ III has better combat, is easier run (2D graphics) but corruption is annoying. Civ IV it's much more viable to be a peaceful civilization and religion, great people etc are all good features. But the wtf?? 3D graphics make large maps sluggish and religion is done really PC.

What's your thoughts on the matter Codex?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was going to vote for IV, but I couldn't. So I voted for VI instead.

oscar

Arcane
:oops:

I don't think I could stand the 3D cartoony graphics though..

Tigranes

Arcane
Graphics whore!

IV is a better game. There is less assfuckery with spearmen destroying 50 tanks, there is more fun stuff to spice it up, and by and large it's not as annoying. If you can run a medium sized map without stupid lag, go for it.

Disconnected

Scholar
oscarisaiah said:
The consensus seems to be that Civ III has better combat, is easier run (2D graphics) but corruption is annoying. Civ IV it's much more viable to be a peaceful civilization and religion, great people etc are all good features. But the wtf?? 3D graphics make large maps sluggish and religion is done really PC.

What's your thoughts on the matter Codex?
Assuming your machine isn't much more than 5 years old, either game should offer similar performance. But I agree that between the low res textures and extremely low unit polycounts, III looks better. The switch to 3D also kills the board game feel of Civ II/III

If by viable you mean winning, I don't think there's any real difference between peaceful civs in III & IV. The peaceful side of IV is more complex though, so it's more interesting and satisfying than III. I don't think I'd call IVs religion mechanics PC, and I'm pretty sure any 'correctness' is incidental rather than intentional. If it's a problem, it's caused by the mechanics being a bit on the metagamey side. But the mechanics work very well and adds a lot to the gameplay (compared to III), so even if you think it's less than ideal, I'm certain you'll prefer it to III.

Hope that helps.

Destroid

Arcane
Civ4 is better than Civ3 in everyway. Except maybe graphics, I forget what civ3 looks like. Civ3 is IMO the worst civ game to date.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The religions are all the same. Did you want Judaism to give +1 gold per city and Islam to give a special suicide bomber unit?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
...what the fuck?
are you crazy? Going back to Civ 3?
I rather play Civ 4 with Fall from Heaven mod
http://kael.civfanatics.net/index.shtml

going the fantasy route allows you to actually have fun with unique civs and their abilities. Orcs have double military production for fast zerging, Vampires can consume town population to get more powerful.

And since the religions are fictional, they can throw away the bullshit 'every religion is the same' and put demon worshipping bastards that open the gates of hell to summon Satan Civilization upon the world or Order that summon Angelic Civilization on Earth to rid yourself of Evil Civilization. And don't think your alignment is set, when adopting different religion and civics, your alignment will change and open up better diplomacy with other kingdoms.

Taking Slavery and Conquest will please the barbarian nations, plus successful attacks will have a chance to garner you slaves to work or sacrifice to produce buildings faster, but don't expect the goody two shoes neighbour to tolerate this sort of behavior for long. Prepare alliances and beat them to submission, convert them as your vassal as you increase the armageddon count and bring Hell Upon Earth with flame engulfing forests and fields. Rivers will turn red into lava and Horses will make way for Nightmares. Civilization will never be the same again.

mahdi

Liturgist
Definitely IV. When I got Civ III I would occasionally go back and play a few games of II. After I got IV, I never felt the desire to go back to III. Also, get the Beyond the Sword expansion. The Charlemagne, Age of Ice, Next War, and Gods of Old scenarios are great fun.

I will admit that III looks better though.

oscar

Arcane
Is there being a lot less units in IV then III a big problem?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No.

You guys are also forgetting about Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod and the Rise of Mankind mod (makes Future era much more interesting).

Monocause

Arcane
I like both. The third one has some appeal which I can't explain. And also, I remember playing Civ III to death with the Warhammer mod on top of it.

I say, buy both. Civ III complete goes for 20 bucks at amazon, so I guess you can buy it for 10 as used.
Or, remove both from the inventory and buy the one that you like more. The pirate bay offers best free trial deals!

oscar

Arcane
A shame I'm dealing in NewZealandbucks, really over here it's pretty terrible for trying to purchase games more then a couple of years old from shops. You really have to go online most of the time.

spectre

Arcane
Buy yourself Civ VI, or IV for best results. While I spent many an hour on Civ3, 4 seems just better thought out and I believe combat is actually way better. I miss a few features from 3 (like siege engines that actually work like ones), but that's what mods will fix.
Been having a blast with this one:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=292578

sheek

Arbiter
Civ4 has way better combat, cities are more interesting to manage, more terrain/resource types (unpassable mountains etc), more wonders (and types of wonders), more techs. I tried going back to Civ3 a while ago and it's boring as fuck.

For a really good scenario for Civ4, get The Ancient Mediterranean. That mod is beyond awesome. 30 something historically accurate civs, everything reworked to fit the setting... tons of reworked mechanics. Choose a smaller civ and decent difficulty and you'll really need to think tactically to just survive.

I don't play default Civ4.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Civ IV is by far the better game. Civ III is terrible. By far the worst game of the series. It just sucks to play.

Troll

Scholar
You are aware that in the poll you wrote VI right? i was wondering when i voted for a version that didn't even launch. anyway, it seems the unanimous choice is civ 4

YourConscience said:
What should I buy Codex, Civ III or IV?

(I know, I am nitpicking)

For some inexplicable reason the poll is missing an option! I think you should buy the Codex.

i thought the same thing, but both the Codex and Civ IV were missing from the poll

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
RK47 said:
...what the fuck?
are you crazy? Going back to Civ 3?
I rather play Civ 4 with Fall from Heaven mod
http://kael.civfanatics.net/index.shtml

going the fantasy route allows you to actually have fun with unique civs and their abilities. Orcs have double military production for fast zerging, Vampires can consume town population to get more powerful.

And since the religions are fictional, they can throw away the bullshit 'every religion is the same' and put demon worshipping bastards that open the gates of hell to summon Satan Civilization upon the world or Order that summon Angelic Civilization on Earth to rid yourself of Evil Civilization. And don't think your alignment is set, when adopting different religion and civics, your alignment will change and open up better diplomacy with other kingdoms.

Taking Slavery and Conquest will please the barbarian nations, plus successful attacks will have a chance to garner you slaves to work or sacrifice to produce buildings faster, but don't expect the goody two shoes neighbour to tolerate this sort of behavior for long. Prepare alliances and beat them to submission, convert them as your vassal as you increase the armageddon count and bring Hell Upon Earth with flame engulfing forests and fields. Rivers will turn red into lava and Horses will make way for Nightmares. Civilization will never be the same again.

I stopped at orcs. Why would I want orcs in my civ game. Fuck you you're totally addicted, jesus christ

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
cause i'm bored of the same game. Civ 4 in its basic form is a good game, i'll give you that. But their attempts of adding more stuff to the vanilla stuff on expansions are really really poor compared to what this mod has done.

I sure came out like an addict, but I was blown away by the depth of this mod. I expected half broken shit with huge promises it made, but it really delivered. Civ 4 is a totally different game with FFH mod on I'd buy Civ 4 if it's just for that game alone. Master of Magic-esque.

The vanilla game wasn't bad, but felt totally generic and cheesy by the time you play different civs the only liable strat is based on your leader traits and unique units. And to repeat my point, Religion is YAWNNNNNNNN.

sqeecoo

Arcane
The best game is actually Alpha Centauri. But between these two, CivIV is the clear winner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom