Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder What Would You Think If Owlcat Switch to Turn-Based Only for All Future Pathfinder Games?

Turn-Based Mode only for all future isometric pathfinder adaptions from Owlcat... Yes or No?

• Hell Yes!!

Votes: 54 57.4%
  • F**k No!!

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Only if they add near-instant autocombat instead. If there is any excuse for RTS combat, it's dealing with an onslaught of harmless trash mobs without requiring player input.
I have an alternative - don't create "onslaughts of harmless trash mobs" in the first place.
Also make TB combat fast, no need for slow movement or long animations or other nonsense.

I know, i know. Demanding from those people any level of understanding that trash mobs are a mean to an end - not an end in itself, and that TB can be fast is like demanding Cleve to make a woke game... in a few months. Or Pierre Begue to learn how to price his games.

mondblut

Arcane
I have an alternative - don't create "onslaughts of harmless trash mobs" in the first place.

Wrong genre, mate.

Also make TB combat fast, no need for slow movement or long animations or other nonsense.

This is not about long animations, this is about the number of clicks. With RTS combat, you press whatever button selects everyone, right click on the closest enemy and the rest happens on its own. In TB, you have to handhold every character individually. After the first hundred of battles, this shit flies no longer. Autocombat FTW.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Encounter design aside, if that meant they'd add a proper grid, so abilities like charge or healing spells don't randomly stop working, doors don't become invisible force fields in combat, and you can actually see where the combatants can and can't pass, then sure, why not. I'm curious if they collect data of how many people play WotR RtwP vs turn-based.
I'd prefer a straight dungeon crawler Pathfinder game by Owcat, Icewind Dale style, create your whole party at the beginning.
Also this. Cut all the bloat, cut minigames and kingdom management, cut romances, cut elaborate speeches and cutscenes, cut premade story companions and just make a game about adventurers fighting monsters and exploring places, without having to come back to town to file a tax report every 3 days. They have an engine with what feels like 30 classes with autistic sub-classes more or less working and not a single game that takes advantage of it with a full party creation.
the shitty DLCs with procedurally generated dungeons don't count

Edgetard

Educated
fuck no this is the closest ive gotten to getting the BG1/2 high (what a depressing thought this shitty waifu dating sim is the closest to bg1/2) keep real time DAMN IT
turn based is fine for 40k you got automatic weapons and shit combats based on turn based 40k table top is turn based its fine but my BG fix REQUIRES it be in a shitty real time with repeated pausing to keep myself from losing the battle that would be easily won if I cucked and cheesed the encounter in a turn style

frajaq

Erudite
These slavs love their trash mob encounters way too much for it to be TB only, it's actually one of my annoyances with Rogue Trader

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If I want turn based, I'll just play chess. What is the point of having an inferior ruleset on the computer? Owlcat will need to bring something additional to the game next to turn based to make the game more interesting than chess.
I love chess but it's a multiplayer 1 vs 1 requiring human opponent (when you play 1 vs many there are still only two sides on each board) - you can't just compare chess to single player turn based RPG.

EDIT: You're like that dude in strategy forum saying we don't need more games because we have Homm3 and wc3.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...om-fantasy-general-2-devs.143428/post-8856680

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I would think that TB vs RTwP will change nothing for games which have bigger problems, like Pathfinder/Pillars games

ArchAngel

Arcane
I do no think they will be making more Pathfinder games unless they got two teams now working on two new games at same time.

Percy

Cipher
I reckon it would be a good move, there's too much trash combat and way too much buffing before fights. I feel dirty saying this but Larian gets this right.

rubinstein

Educated
i have no problem with prebuffing as a gameplay element. i love trade off between types of spells: powerful-but-instant vs strong-but-short vs weak-but-long. thats one of the core tactics elements of crpgs i love. owlcats implementation of this in pfs is awful though. even broken mess like nwn2 had an action queue. you could have casted 15 spells with 20 clicks in 10 seconds, and then you just neededed to wait a minute or two for your caster to do the job. painful, but bearable. in pathfinder its like dzoens of clicks throught entire prebuffing phase (just to have empowered greater dispell casted at you during your first encounter with something called "the weakest goblin retard" who has 65 AC at level 16). AAAAAAAAAAA!

nothing wrong with prebuffing in general but to implement it correctly they need to add a basic sequencer, or anything with similar effect, and a speed up mode (or a fade to black and applying these prebuffs when safe, just anything to speed it up). afair there are mods for it, but owlcat should do something about it.

scytheavatar

Scholar
i have no problem with prebuffing as a gameplay element. i love trade off between types of spells: powerful-but-instant vs strong-but-short vs weak-but-long. thats one of the core tactics elements of crpgs i love. owlcats implementation of this in pfs is awful though. even broken mess like nwn2 had an action queue. you could have casted 15 spells with 20 clicks in 10 seconds, and then you just neededed to wait a minute or two for your caster to do the job. painful, but bearable. in pathfinder its like dzoens of clicks throught entire prebuffing phase (just to have empowered greater dispell casted at you during your first encounter with something called "the weakest goblin retard" who has 65 AC at level 16). AAAAAAAAAAA!

nothing wrong with prebuffing in general but to implement it correctly they need to add a basic sequencer, or anything with similar effect, and a speed up mode (or a fade to black and applying these prebuffs when safe, just anything to speed it up). afair there are mods for it, but owlcat should do something about it.

Except there's no trade off in buffing for PF1e/D&D 3E. Buffing is just ticking a bunch of boxes as to what spell you MUST have for combat, there's no tactical decision behind you can't play the game without Barkskin and Mage Armor at early levels. 5E and Pathfinder 2E did the right thing in limiting the stacking of buffs, which is why I am not interested in buying another PF1e game from them. I simply am sick and tired of the system after WOTR.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't be surprised if Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous ends up being the last Pathfinder isometric crpg that has a real-time-with-pause combat mode, especially if Owcat's first turn-based-only isometric crpg Warhammer Rogue Trader sells well. Assuming more Pathfinder adaptions from Owlcat are on the table (Iron Gods pls), there is a good chance the combat system of these games will be completely turn-based with co-op option to boot, gotta chase that Baldur's Gate 3 money somehow, as shown by Rogue Trader implementing the co-op feature already.

I'm just curious how Owlcat Pathfinder fans gonna react if this indeed turns out to be the case? Personally, it's a non-issue for me, since I dropped Wrath of the Righteous in the middle of the Siege of Drezen after I got sick of the excessive amount of trash encounters the game keeps throwing my way on nearly every map, so a turn-based-only combat system for future Pathfinder adaptions from Owlcat will hopefully mean less trash encounters this time around.
lol

tards

REhorror

Educated
Daily reminder that Rogue Trader has a better combat system than BOTH of the Pathfinders games, despite all the unbalanced skills.

So yes, turn-based please.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Why would they strip out the real-time functionality, don't be stupid lad

But yes PF:KM and PF:WOTR encounters were designed with the assumption that real-time would be the default and a few people would choose turn-based, I can see them flipping the design around for a third pathfinder game

Rhobar121

Scholar

But yes PF:KM and PF:WOTR encounters were designed with the assumption that real-time would be the default and a few people would choose turn-based, I can see them flipping the design around for a third pathfinder game
Maybe because TB is a more popular choice?
Having two combat modes is also a bad idea because one of them will always suffer.

REhorror

Educated

Real time with pause requires too much micro-managing for me.

std::namespace

Kingmaker is somewhat fun to play already
it absolutely is not
broken retarded ai
atrocious pseudo exploration
no quests no hubs no characters not an rpg
insanely horrific encounter design
anyone who enjoyed that should be lobotomized a third time

oh man they are going to make more of these games? Can they make them a little less Monty Haul? Yea, probably not, nuisance, and understatement is so last century. I need all rings with fingers on them, and don't forget the most important ring....the +5 cock ring of bear banging.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Iron gods is likely to be the next AP they go with.

I strongly prefer TB but I see no reason they should cut RTwP if their stats indicate that a big portion of the playerbase has that preference. Also the hate towards these games is a bit melodramatic. Kingmaker was very rough on release and definitely needed more time to be developed but both of them have come a long way and are very enjoyable to play now.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Iron gods is likely to be the next AP they go with.

I strongly prefer TB but I see no reason they should cut RTwP if their stats indicate that a big portion of the playerbase has that preference. Also the hate towards these games is a bit melodramatic. Kingmaker was very rough on release and definitely needed more time to be developed but both of them have come a long way and are very enjoyable to play now.

Have Owlcats confirmed going back to Pathfinder? Or do you mean, Paizo licensing out Iron Gods for adaptation into a CRPG?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom