Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's a good game to playthrough during Halloween?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Oh, I know of a good one! Dying light 2, haven't played that one yet.
The first game is the only one worth playing.

Dead Rising. Dead Rising is the perfect October Halloween season game. Second one isn't bad either, but the first one is the best.

5815EAB893A9D302C660FD882CFD486DA2E91ACE

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Amnesia: Dark Descent, Silent Hill 1/2/3, Resident Evil 1/2/3, Doom (classic), Parasite Eve, Alone in the Dark (classic), F.E.A.R., S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Dead Space, Alien: Isolation, Castlevania, The Thing, and Outlast.

bionicman

Liturgist
Golden Krone Hotel

It's a traditional roguelike with a vampire/gothic horror setting. It also has nice enough interface that you can play with a controller if you want.

Siren 2. Made by Team Silent, the guys that made the good Silent Hills. One of my favorite horror games, it is third person with tank controls. You are constantly shifting between different characters and timelines for every level, each one having different gameplay, from the generic teenager who can fight back but sucks at it, to a legitimate military soldier with full auto weapons, to a blind kid who can't fight at all and needs to see through the eyes of their service dog as well as the enemy to make your way around. If you like 2, you can play 1. 1 requires a walkthrough to complete, by design. That turns a lot of people off. I think 2 is one of the best mainstream horror games made, possibly better than Silent Hill depending on what you like in a game.

Arthandas

Prophet
It's a traditional roguelike with a vampire/gothic horror setting. It also has nice enough interface that you can play with a controller if you want.
One of my favorite roguelikes alongside Infra Arcana. Truly a hidden gem.
It also got a pretty substantial update not too long ago.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
"In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of the chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well."

Yeah,System Shock is awesome.

Machocruz

Arcane
I played these games over the last two Octobers + Halloweens and had some of the most fun with games I've had in a long time

Brutal Doom 64, vanilla works too
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (any good Castlevania is peak Halloween, really)
Shadowgate (NES, only and always)
Sweet Home

-all emulated

I also like Hexen, Shadow Tower Abyss, Dying Light for the season

Naraya

Arcane
Hmm, maybe Quake? (I might be a bit biased, I'm currently on a Lovecraft binge).

edit: actually when is NOT a good time to replay Quake? :incline:

Last edited:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Already mentioned, but seconding Darkwood. It's an underrated gem. The atmosphere is palpable

Last edited:

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
Classic Castlevanias are the obvious, but don't forget the Splatterhouse series

Splatterhouse-arcadeflyer.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom