Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's Obsidian up to now?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
This is the first time I've seen them in a non-announced state for all the games they must be working on. Aside from that Wheel-of-Time thing there is nothing announced at the moment. Isn't that strange?

:M

Stinger

Arcane
They appear to be working on a 2D RPG judging from speculation of recent news on the Obsidian forum. There's also the Dungeon Siege 3 dlc 'Treasures of the Sun' or something that's coming out in a month or so.

I think Feargus mentioned something about working on IP that was something he could never refuse (and I don't think he meant Fallout).

That's all I'm aware of.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Maybe. But wouldn't we know already if they had the D&D license?

This rumoured 2D RPG project is probably a phone game or something, wouldn't they want to use the DS3 engine in their games?

MCA
I would like an IE style high-res 2D game. I miss that fixed angle on beautiful environments where you don't have to mess with camera and look at the scenery without perspective depth ruining it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I know what you mean. Playing NWN2, specially on interior areas made me miss games with fixed camera so much.

Stinger

Arcane
I don't think it's an iphone game. They seem to be hiring quite a lot of designers for it. It may have iphone compatibility but it'll probably be a Steam/XBLA/PSN title as well. Sawyer has said that no publisher has approached them with any turnbased/party based combat in mind either, so unless this game is self published we can scratch that idea too.

Satan

Educated
if it's 2D then I'm sure it's made for smart phones.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If it's an IP Feargus couldn't refuse, maybe it's NBA? I mean, Feargus could then finally make "Slamdunk: The RPG"!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
villain of the story said:
I would like an IE style high-res 2D game. I miss that fixed angle on beautiful environments where you don't have to mess with camera and look at the scenery without perspective depth ruining it.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
If it's an IP Feargus couldn't refuse, maybe it's NBA? I mean, Feargus could then finally make "Slamdunk: The RPG"!

I'm actually interested in a story heavy sports RPG, if only for the novelty.

EDIT : Just remembered something like that on the DS. Inazuma 11 or some such. It got Lukewarm reviews though...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
how about Mana Protocol

A Fantasy Spy-Playing Game

tactical elvish turtleneck

illegal gnomish weapon merchants

dual wield looking glass crossbows

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
GR: Do you see another sequel, licensed game, or an original title coming out of Obsidian after DS3?

FU: There's nothing that's been moved forward, but we'd love to develop Dungeon Siege 4. On the flip side I think as a studio we have some original ideas and stories to tell. We have a great idea for a new world we've just started pitching to publishers and we have an older pitch that we really like called "Defiance" which is about a fantasy world where, basically, Sauron won. Everything isn't happy in The Shire, they didn't get the ring in the fire and the hobbits are all dead. We think that's a cool pitch and we hope to have a publisher pick that up at some point.

We're also working on an original IP XBLA game. so that hopefully will be out first quarter next year.

GR: I deal with so many of those, so I love seeing bigger developers explore that space.

FU: It'll be an action RPG that's focused on fun, not Dungeon Siege, it's quite a bit different in a different genre with a different camera.

We also might throw our hat in the whole free-to-play thing. In the game industry there's a lot of different opportunities for all different kinds of products.

GR: It's great that you can take an IP that's not original but you can do something completely different and fresh and new.

FU: There actually is another game that I can't talk about at all.

GR: Are you sure?

FU: No, I'll get killed, but it's a licensed product but it's a licensed product that when people hear about it they're going to be "well you had to do that. there's no option, if I was a developer and I was offered that I would just do it."

I'm hoping that'll be announced around E3.
E3 came and went with no announcement, nothing new since then. Barring delays, the 2D action-rpg is supposed to come out in the first quarter of next year.

Stinger

Arcane
Sawyer has moved on to be Project Director of a new game now according to a recent interview. Chris Avellone has also mentioned that working in games industry has allowed him to consider working on licenses he never thought was possible and he's said that in a few interviews so I don't think it's a throwaway line. This suggests that an upcoming game may be based on a non-gaming related license.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
An RPG co-written by MCA and Grant Morrison (he's still looking for work with games) would be gold.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
An RPG co-written by MCA and Grant Morrison (he's still looking for work with games) would be gold.

son you know you want a peter milligan planescape rpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Chris McAvellone's Dragon Age 2: New Thedas?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Stinger said:
Sawyer has moved on to be Project Director of a new game now according to a recent interview. Chris Avellone has also mentioned that working in games industry has allowed him to consider working on licenses he never thought was possible and he's said that in a few interviews so I don't think it's a throwaway line. This suggests that an upcoming game may be based on a non-gaming related license.

A Song of Ice and Fire RPG by Obsidian, since Bethesda wasn't interested in doing it.

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom