Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus What's the appeal of Megami Tensei?

Latro

Arcane
Original SMT changes the wizardry format enough to be deeply engaging and original. Even if you don’t like the story, it changes the blobber format to be about fusion, demon talking, and boss battling, in addition to a bit more standard JRPG format.

Nathir

Liturgist
The amazing demon desgins obviously. And some of the games have very good atmosphere. Mostly the older ones though. I think any game where Kaneko isn't involved is kinda bad tbh.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Imagine if grinding in a DRPG had a dating mini game where the monster could join your roster.

Definitely adds another level of fun, especially when if you have a particular monster already his clones will either leave you alone or shower you in cash or items.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Imagine if grinding in a DRPG had a dating mini game where the monster could join your roster.

Definitely adds another level of fun, especially when if you have a particular monster already his clones will either leave you alone or shower you in cash or items.

Or if you have bros like Dionysus on your team, they booze them up with wine party.
What's even more fun is when demons use their social skills on the wrong kinds of demons and make matters worse. Really, this is so much more fun than throwing a plastic ball at something and hoping for Stockholm Syndrome to kick in.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
My favorite demon is Beelzebub (Fly Form), what's yours?
Beelzebub (hawt form from Majin Tensei II).

1673583-bellde2.jpg

Poseidon00

Arcane
I find reincarnation an interesting concept, and the divine reincarnation of the world even more so. Add in the fact that you can "flip the tables" in most games and challenge the existing order, for better or worse, and I find myself always interested in the stories of Megaten no matter if it's a spin-off or main series title. IV and V started going completely off the fucking rails though. I hope they bring it back to fundamentals next time.

430am

Educated
For me the appeal was in pure points for style. It's the most flashy and in-your-face JRPGs I know. And the music is always absolutely incredible. The plot parts sure aren't anything special (unless you look at early installments, which are funny). The systems that the games do have, however, tie in and work together very well, so within them there's not that much room for complaining. It's also not for casuals, at least before SMT5, and then that wasn't a cakewalk either.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The ability to customize and rotate your demon roster really overshadows how bland Megaten titles are in the dungeon crawling aspect.
I also like, in a wyzardry esque fashion, you can stumble across random encounters that will potentially wreck your entire party unlike any other boss fight. There's always some random party out there capable of countering yours.
For this franchise I mainly wish they could expand the negotiation system, at its current state is just random flavour text galore.

As a curiousity, this system inspired Toby fox to implement talking in combat with monsters. Driven by the same dissatisfaction I stated before.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Almost done with the first dungeon of Digital Devil Story. I ended up switching to the Famicom version, because the SFC remake makes a considerable amount of gameplay changes while I'd rather play a more authentic version of the original. It's also aesthetically inferior in a few ways; SNES remakes of NES games often have this cheap, plastic kinda look (Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Mario All-Stars, Dragon Quest 1&2, etc), along with music more grating than the original 8-bit versions despite superior the superior hardware. It's kind of a bummer that I have to make my own maps for like the 7th game I've played in a row, but at least I can look forward to SMT with its automap. The Famicom version also lacks the turning animations I complained about before, which is a big plus.

I actually thought DDS only had one dungeon, since I've gotten accustomed to Wizardry games with only having one dungeon comprised of eight floors, but it's actually only the first part of the game. I guess I should've known I wouldn't get off that easy, considering each floor is only 8x8 tiles.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
The Messians in SMT bear more resemblance to Jews more than anything; after all, they seem to always be waiting for messiahs to come. But if the Messians are still waiting for a messiah, then you've gotta wonder what all those crosses are supposed to represent.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Messians in SMT bear more resemblance to Jews more than anything; after all, they seem to always be waiting for messiahs to come. But if the Messians are still waiting for a messiah, then you've gotta wonder what all those crosses are supposed to represent.
The PC is usually the messiah they're waiting on. Of course, if you go neutral (why?) or chaos (the RIGHT choice) then those SPAS-toting, jetpack templars will Deus Vult you out of existence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom