Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best looking and spectacular game out there?

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Oblivion.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Doh. I just want to show off to her with my new toy.

She'll then pretend to be interested for a few minutes before wandering off and I pretend to take her opinion into account and we'll both be happier for it. Living together 101.

baronjohn

Cipher
Trash said:
She'll then pretend to be interested for a few minutes before wandering off and I pretend to take her opinion into account and we'll both be happier for it. Living together 101.
Sounds like you'd be better of dumping her and going for a JPEG girlfriend.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
M4BE1R0 said:
I finished the game on a marathon, and I my experience was the opposite of yours, I actually consider it one of the best FPS I have played, I admit I haven't played that many great FPS's. :M
The way I played I only noticed what seemed to be enemies spawning twice, and that's counting Warhead. And if you play the game properly, enemies reacting or not to getting shot isn't a problem. Try warhead, I think they nerfed the koreans so they aren't as resistant as a nanokwasplayer. I even replayed it shortly

And it's uninstall you fucking double nigger, how did you manage to make that mistake?

The issue I have is that is a modern, serious, ultra-technological game, but the best (only?) way to play it's to run to an enemy and shoot him until he die. Not even Duken Nuken 3D was that simple. And is even worse, since now I can turn invisible and have that pussy regeneration armor/health. Even trying to ambush is useless, throwing a grenade don't kill or even stun the enemies, and also reveals my position.

Enemy spam is as lazy as a game can be. I sniped the 2 bunker guys from afar then ran to the base, when I arrived the guys had respawned and were at the machineguns shooting me. And worse of all, I survived and killed them, and it wasn't even hard! I was just unable o keep playing after this.

It can't ever be the best FPS you played, unless you never even heard of System Shock 2, Bioshock, Alien vs Predator 2, Deus EX, Goldeneye 64, Perferct Dark 64, Doom II or any Half-Life game.

And "desinstall" was ugly, sorry. Was derping and mixed portuguese "desinstalar". :oops:

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
felipepepe said:
The issue I have is that is a modern, serious, ultra-technological game, but the best (only?) way to play it's to run to an enemy and shoot him until he die. Not even Duken Nuken 3D was that simple. And is even worse, since now I can turn invisible and have that pussy regeneration armor/health. Even trying to ambush is useless, throwing a grenade don't kill or even stun the enemies, and also reveals my position.

Enemy spam is as lazy as a game can be. I sniped the 2 bunker guys from afar then ran to the base, when I arrived the guys had respawned and were at the machineguns shooting me. And worse of all, I survived and killed them, and it wasn't even hard! I was just unable o keep playing after this.

It can't ever be the best FPS you played, unless you never even heard of System Shock 2, Bioshock, Alien vs Predator 2, Deus EX, Goldeneye 64, Perferct Dark 64, Doom II or any Half-Life game.

And "desinstall" was ugly, sorry. Was derping and mixed portuguese "desinstalar". :oops:
:decline:

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Crysis.

I wonder if there is a computer and vid card that can actually run NWN2 on all HIGH settings...?

Durr hurr, I was running it on high on my old 8800 GTS, so every mid-to-high range card in the past 5 years has been able to. Since the game actually came out 5 years ago, there were cards to run it on high since day 1.

.Sigurd

Educated
felipepepe said:
:lol:
You're not alone. I keep making the same mistake my whole life.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
I wonder if there is a computer and vid card that can actually run NWN2 on all HIGH settings...?
I give it another 2 years to have Shadows on max with 60 FPS, then another 2 or 3 years for the insane low frame rate in those few areas in the OC to also go away. So, I'd say 5 years tops.

Ruprekt

Scholar
The only thing that causes NWN2 frame rate to drop with a modern PC is reflections. Turn that off and you will get 60fps with everything else maxed out (including shadows).

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
felipepepe said:
M4BE1R0 said:
I finished the game on a marathon, and I my experience was the opposite of yours, I actually consider it one of the best FPS I have played, I admit I haven't played that many great FPS's. :M
The way I played I only noticed what seemed to be enemies spawning twice, and that's counting Warhead. And if you play the game properly, enemies reacting or not to getting shot isn't a problem. Try warhead, I think they nerfed the koreans so they aren't as resistant as a nanokwasplayer. I even replayed it shortly

And it's uninstall you fucking double nigger, how did you manage to make that mistake?

I never said it was the best FPS i played, just one of the best. I can't really rank my games in a more pretentious precise way.

As I said I only noticed enemies spawning twice in the game, one in that level where you have to break some tanks near some abandoned schools and at some random outpost at the beginning of warhead, I'm not even sure if they really spawned. I think I played it as a rat diplomat, avoiding a lot of the fights. I really can't recall having a problem killing the koreans except for the beginning of the game.

Renegen

Arcane
felipepepe said:
Krap said:

:decline:
He is praising Crysis, of course Bioshock is better. Stop trying so hard.

Bioshock is a POS and doesn't belong anywhere in the category of the other games mentioned. Crysis, unlike Bioshock, doesn't have any pretensions. It borrows heavily from previous adrelanine pumping PC FPS and from Far Cry and the result is convincing. Bioshock is a game that borrows from System Shock 2 while being obviously dumbed down. Never during Crysis did I feel it was dumbed down. The more you play it, the more you realize it's really well thought out and polished. Oh and of course, Crysis is actually more open ended than Bioshock (lol).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Renegen said:
Bioshock is a POS and doesn't belong anywhere in the category of the other games mentioned. Crysis, unlike Bioshock, doesn't have any pretensions. It borrows heavily from previous adrelanine pumping PC FPS and from Far Cry and the result is convincing.

I didn't know that adrenaline pumping PC FPS was all about legitimate health regen cheat and legitimate cloak cheat which makes you invisible right where you stand to an already dumb AI that is unable to follow you past 50 meters of its position.

Bioshock is a game that borrows from System Shock 2 while being obviously dumbed down. Never during Crysis did I feel it was dumbed down. The more you play it, the more you realize it's really well thought out and polished. Oh and of course, Crysis is actually more open ended than Bioshock (lol).

I have a newsflash for you.
Both Bioshock and Crysis are dumbed down pieces of shit. Crysis just has wider corridors.

Even CoDMW is a more adrenaline-pumping game than "shoot 2 guys - cloak - shoot 2 guys - cloak - shoot 2 guys - cloak" and that's a big bitchslap to Crysis' gameplay.

Divinity: Original Sin
felipepepe said:

I can't recall enemies respawning in crysis. The enemies in that game were all on the map. Aren't you talking about Farcry 2? that one had respawning

In crysis, there were enemy camps with about 20-30 enemy AI. But after you wiped them out, their base would be desert. I recall that if you kill an enemy on a turret, if there was another guy around, he would man that turret again, but I wouldn't call it a respawning enemy.

Oriebam

Darth Slaughter said:
felipepepe said:

I can't recall enemies respawning in crysis. The enemies in that game were all on the map. Aren't you talking about Farcry 2? that one had respawning

In crysis, there were enemy camps with about 20-30 enemy AI. But after you wiped them out, their base would be desert. I recall that if you kill an enemy on a turret, if there was another guy around, he would man that turret again, but I wouldn't call it a respawning enemy.
I'm pretty sure there actually are enemies respawning in certain places and the player is not supposed to notice it, but they fucked up at some point, although I might be wrong. The way I played I couldn't really see them spawning, as I rarely wiped out a place or tried to cockwhip groups of koreans. You also rarely see them actually doing nothing(like in Deus Ex) I think...
But I think if they didn't respawn they would LARP bowling and fall MUCH more often.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Darth Slaughter said:

No, 100% sure is Crysis. Exactly the area where you have to save a chick and blow some tanks. I'm sure they not only respawn, but are unlimited. It was the last areas I played, so I went berzerk, trying to kill as many as possible before dying. Got bored first.

Renegen said:
Never during Crysis did I feel it was dumbed down.
So regenerating armour/life isn't the biggest dumbdown ever made in gaming? What, you really believed Halo was "Combat Evolved"? And you can turn invisible! At will! What's next, you want "god mode" as a dificulty setting?

Oriebam

felipepepe said:
Darth Slaughter said:

No, 100% sure is Crysis. Exactly the area where you have to save a chick and blow some tanks. I'm sure they not only respawn, but are unlimited. It was the last areas I played, so I went berzerk, trying to kill as many as possible before dying. Got bored first.

Renegen said:
Never during Crysis did I feel it was dumbed down.
So regenerating armour/life isn't the biggest dumbdown ever made in gaming? What, you really believed Halo was "Combat Evolved"? And you can turn invisible! At will! What's next, you want "god mode" as a dificulty setting?
Did you see the alleged respawning at the building where the koreans put up some flags and cozy shit? It was there I saw what looked like respawning

About dumbing down, health regen and invisibility are somewhat appropriate to the game

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I second the Crysis games as the best looking out there, but laterally speaking, are we talking about curved textures, lighting, animation? There are so many features to a package. Open levels... Detail... Unique style?

Renegen

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Renegen said:
Bioshock is a POS and doesn't belong anywhere in the category of the other games mentioned. Crysis, unlike Bioshock, doesn't have any pretensions. It borrows heavily from previous adrelanine pumping PC FPS and from Far Cry and the result is convincing.

I didn't know that adrenaline pumping PC FPS was all about legitimate health regen cheat and legitimate cloak cheat which makes you invisible right where you stand to an already dumb AI that is unable to follow you past 50 meters of its position.

Bioshock is a game that borrows from System Shock 2 while being obviously dumbed down. Never during Crysis did I feel it was dumbed down. The more you play it, the more you realize it's really well thought out and polished. Oh and of course, Crysis is actually more open ended than Bioshock (lol).

I have a newsflash for you.
Both Bioshock and Crysis are dumbed down pieces of shit. Crysis just has wider corridors.

Even CoDMW is a more adrenaline-pumping game than "shoot 2 guys - cloak - shoot 2 guys - cloak - shoot 2 guys - cloak" and that's a big bitchslap to Crysis' gameplay.

Did I mention CoD anywhere? No. Crysis is clearly a PC shooter with its slower pacing compared to console shooters that are nothing but firefights. As for AI, I don't remember anyone complaining about the AI of Doom, Quake, Duke, Unreal, Far Cry. I mean where do you even come from? The vast majority of FPS have forgettable AIs. And if anything, the nano suit made the game more interesting by innovating a bit on the formula. Your characer can die pretty quickly, and the nano suit was really necessary. You're really picking at straws with your arguments. "Dumbed down" from what?

Renegen said:
"Dumbed down" from what?

ARMA and Operation Flashpoint of course. Any shooter that isn't them is dumbed down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom