Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the point of non-party combat?

Pony King

Educated
I think Fallout: Tactics showed that adding a party doesn't necessarily translate into good combat (though it would have been better than BG without the bugs). I'm not sure what they ought to have changed, but something should be changed for it to feel good. Either that or the Fallout: Tactics encounter design was bad enough to give the system a bad feeling.

A.I. coding also isn't as easy as some of you make it out to be.

kasmas

Educated
I will reverse the question , what is the point of party based combat ? you can not RT like a human being and you have to take turns like it is gay sex .
Tactics speaking i like the options in mount and blade where you tell your party what to do group by group or give general commands like attack and fell back, having to give exact orders to 3-4 different characters during combat is irritating .
Supposingly you are leveling your party to be good at combat on their own so you can sit back and watch them killing things , doing the killing yourself for them is boring .
Another factor is stealth , many like to play thieves or assassins , how to play someone moving in the shadows when a guy in plate armor and a singing bard are just behind you?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
You can still have solid tactical turn based combat with only one PC. See Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for proof of concept. It seems to be really, really hard though as most turn based games with only one PC are horrid as you correctly point out. It helps that in DC:SS you'll eventually have as many abilities as a full party in some games and that the game is sufficiently challenging that you'll need to use those abilities.

Fallout/Arcanum model with one PC and AI NPCs is utter game design failure though. You're supposed to want to keep NPCs alive. But the AI control means they're idiots. So if the encounters start to get tough they're likely to die due to their stupidity, creating extra reloads that were to a significant extent outside of the player's control.

AI control shouldn't be used for anything more valuable than a summoned creature.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
As others have pointed out Fallout was great game and I did play it with a party and without, and I prefer without. It fits the motif more with the lone Vault Dweller and Dogmeat. However, the AI controlled NPC's added a little flavor to the game and made it a lot more dynamic. To be honest, I liked having NPC's that picked thier own damn targets. Would it be more thrilling if you and your npcs tag-teamed each enemy sequentially in every fight? Those NPC's did what they did and if they died you moved on. As others have said, the game was about the PC.

Andy anyone who has played FO knows the thing that doomed party based combat was the horrific NPC inventory interface (didn't exist), which was slightly improved in FO2.

bussinrounds

Augur
I haven't played Fallout 2 yet but in the dddraw.ini file i saw an option that said "Set to one to directly control party members in combat", so i changed it to 1, because if the game is single player i would rather have control over everyone. (especially if it's turn based or RtwP)

Anyone else that has also done this, how did it work out for you ? And is there anyway to do this in Fallout 1 ?

As far as NWN goes, i always looked at that as best being played mp, getting together with a small group of ppl, like p&p style.

Pope Amole

Educated
bussinrounds said:
Anyone else that has also done this, how did it work out for you ? And is there anyway to do this in Fallout 1 ?

I've done this, though I have no idea 'bout whether it is available for the first part. Directly controlled NPCs make the game infinitely more fun, they allow for some tactics and variety in an otherwise stale system, although they are a bit broken. While it is infinitely cool to slaughter slavers guild on level seven in duo with Sulik, you're not really supposed to do that, I guess. Or wipe out the great wannamingo mine at lvl 12, with me, Cassidy and Vic clad in metal armour (not even mk II, so that mk II which you find on the second level of the mine becomes a real treat) and armed with hunting rifles. All without saves, of course, saves are for wussies. That is infinitely more satisfying than your usual routine of "oh, grind up a bit and crush them by means of superior armour and weapons", fuck that shit. It's kinda bugged, though - with this system, your NPCs get all the perks and tags that you have, which makes them kinda more powerful than they should be. Like, Goris with bonus melee attacks and slayer, rips through anything, dies as fast, though. It also allows for some smart tricks like pumping Sulik with buffouts and allowing him to open those stuck Vault City doors for ya, but I don't see anything wrong with this, this should be a given. So yeah, I recommend this option (coupled with an ironman walkthrough, though) since it makes F2 much more interesting.

Oh, and I'm astonished by the Codexian hypocrisy. No, really, so the popamole in ME and DA series is shit (mind you, I haven't played both of 'em and I don't even want to), but popamole in Fallout (and fallout IS a turn-based popamole) is awesome because Vault Dweller must be alone? Since when have the LARPer kids become the main auditory of Codex? F1&2 is cool because of the story and atmosphere (mostly in 1), because of the exploration, because of some C&C and because different builds there play differently (a bit), but it has a 100% pure shit combat and if you don't agree with that... Go to bethesda forums, I'm sure they'll love you there.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Pope Amole said:
...LARPer kids....F1&2 is cool because of the story and atmosphere....some C&C....
Such irony. Do you know what LARPing is?

By the way, I haven't played Dragon Age and Mass Effect, but I don't judge them for that reason. You, on the other hand, will perfectly here in the Codex, especially with the "Codexian hypocrisy" that you just so wonderfully demonstrated with your, "ME and DA series is shit (mind you, I haven't played both of 'em and I don't even want to)".

made

Arcane
Amber series always starts you out with a single char but you gather more before your first enemy encounter. Rushing solo into the first dungeon is a recipe for failure, esp in Amberstar. Ofc Albion was simplified, or jRPG-ified if you will, but that's beside the point. You don't actually fight in the solo/duo sequences iirc; you have 3 or 4 party members by the time the game starts proper.

Pope Amole

Educated
Wyrmlord said:
Pope Amole said:
...LARPer kids....F1&2 is cool because of the story and atmosphere....some C&C....
Such irony. Do you know what LARPing is?

By the way, I haven't played Dragon Age and Mass Effect, but I don't judge them for that reason. You, on the other hand, will perfectly here in the Codex, especially with the "Codexian hypocrisy" that you just so wonderfully demonstrated with your, "ME and DA series is shit (mind you, I haven't played both of 'em and I don't even want to)".

Fuck you. Learn to read letters at least before you start posting on the forums. When I say that "popamole in ME and DA series" is shit, not only I am addressing strictly popamole elements of them(which do not make the entire game), but I'm also expressing the general codex opinion, not my opinion (which I don't have on this matter, by reasons already mentioned). And "I haven't played it" is there just to shut down all that "oh, you're just a bioware fanboy" crap preventively. All that should be obvious even to a dimwit, but I guess your average codexian can always surpass your worst expectations.

That's for the latter. And for the former - fuck you mk II.

There's world of difference between enjoying a decently written world and characters (which also happens during, say, reading a book, and I haven't heard yet that reading books is LARPing, but you can amaze me here, yeah, go on) and LARPing. Even more so for C&C, because that's one of the points of playing the game instead of reading a book - that you want to have some freaking interactivity in your entertainment. So let's keep this on without dumbfuck trolling.

bussinrounds

Augur
Pope Amole said:
bussinrounds said:

I've done this, though I have no idea 'bout whether it is available for the first part. Directly controlled NPCs make the game infinitely more fun, they allow for some tactics and variety in an otherwise stale system, although they are a bit broken. While it is infinitely cool to slaughter slavers guild on level seven in duo with Sulik, you're not really supposed to do that, I guess. Or wipe out the great wannamingo mine at lvl 12, with me, Cassidy and Vic clad in metal armour (not even mk II, so that mk II which you find on the second level of the mine becomes a real treat) and armed with hunting rifles. All without saves, of course, saves are for wussies. That is infinitely more satisfying than your usual routine of "oh, grind up a bit and crush them by means of superior armour and weapons", fuck that shit. It's kinda bugged, though - with this system, your NPCs get all the perks and tags that you have, which makes them kinda more powerful than they should be. Like, Goris with bonus melee attacks and slayer, rips through anything, dies as fast, though. It also allows for some smart tricks like pumping Sulik with buffouts and allowing him to open those stuck Vault City doors for ya, but I don't see anything wrong with this, this should be a given. So yeah, I recommend this option (coupled with an ironman walkthrough, though) since it makes F2 much more interesting.

Oh, and I'm astonished by the Codexian hypocrisy. No, really, so the popamole in ME and DA series is shit (mind you, I haven't played both of 'em and I don't even want to), but popamole in Fallout (and fallout IS a turn-based popamole) is awesome because Vault Dweller must be alone? Since when have the LARPer kids become the main auditory of Codex? F1&2 is cool because of the story and atmosphere (mostly in 1), because of the exploration, because of some C&C and because different builds there play differently (a bit), but it has a 100% pure shit combat and if you don't agree with that... Go to bethesda forums, I'm sure they'll love you there.
What about just jacking up the difficulty and combat difficulty to balance it out ? Or is it still too easy ?

Pope Amole

Educated
bussinrounds said:
What about just jacking up the difficulty and combat difficulty to balance it out ? Or is it still too easy ?

Still too easy, I've played it on hard and, after a certain point, rarely felt that it was hard. First main problem is tag skills - it changes your NPCs into perfect snipers, meaning that if you tag energo weaps, even Myron will be able to take aimed eye shots with 95% rate of success. Second main problem is "bonus HtH/shooting" perks - they also work for entire party and coupled with first main problem, this sends the damage output of your party towards the skies. Third and a final problem is sniper and slayer - they also work for your followers, allowing for the wusses like Lenny to strangle deathclaws with their bare hands and blow up enclave patrolsmen with magnum .45. Kinda surrealistic. And if you avoid these three problems, another one arises - it's not impossible, but it's fucking tedious to kill endgame enemies with your normal, non-enhanced attacks. Especially when they kill you easily with one or two volleys of fire.

I guess you can more or less avoid it if you specialize in close combat and take ranged-only NPCs and vice verca, so that all of your perks and tags are more or less useless for them. Or maybe by adding some self-imposements, like prohibiting them from doing aimed shots after you get the sniper perks, limiting their and yours weaponries and stuff like that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pope Amole said:
if you don't agree with that... Go to bethesda forums, I'm sure they'll love you there.
I suppose you're probably an alt, but even then you're still doing that annoying YOU'RE ALL POSEURS I'M THE ONLY ONE WITH TASTE, THE LAST SANE PERSON IN THE CODEX thing.

Also Fallout combat is far, far from "100% pure shit." Examples of RPGs with worse combat: those real-time single-character Brotherhood of Steel and Lionheart shitfests.

DraQ

Arcane
MMXI said:
Excidium said:
I'll take Fallout combat over Baldur's Gate combat any time.
I wouldn't. It's far less tactical and takes a whole lot longer.
I would.
The pathfinding in BG is so broken that the additional control given by ability to command partymembers is often illusory, and suicidal lemmings are easier to herd in TB. Then the main remaining difference is pause-spam VS aimed shots.

If BG had proper TB instead of trying to emulate RT using TB mechanics, then trying to use this RT to emulate TB again using autopause I'd probably enjoy it much more. Also, while ability to give orders is cool, there should be some compromise between controllable NPCs and NPCs with their own agenda - design allowing getting an NPC into your party, stripping him of his gear, then sending him packing in "o hai kthxbai" manner is just unambiguously shit. Same with allowing full access to NPC's character sheet instantly exposing an evil NPC even if they are supposed to be skilled manipulators masquerading as some noble fucktard.

Ideally, NPCs should not reveal their entire character sheets, should not give up the best gear suiting their focus or essential supplies*, should not accept orders they'd deem suicidal and should interact with shopkeepers on their own, keeping their personal gold reserves.

Overriding those factors with direct commands should depend on PC's charisma, NPC's personality as well as trust and relationship between NPC and the PC.

It would also make charisma actually relevant stat even in combat.

*) Amusingly enough Bethesda attempted something like this in Tribunal.
Sadly, in a typical Bethesdian fashion, this piece of good design was promptly stuck where the light doesn't shine - in this case in the form of a single, dumb as a brick NPC follower you could hire to only help you in expansion areas and who was, all in all, more of a quickly killed off liability than a proper asset.
Yay?

MMXI

Arcane
DraQ said:
The pathfinding in BG is so broken that the additional control given by ability to command partymembers is often illusory, and suicidal lemmings are easier to herd in TB. Then the main remaining difference is pause-spam VS aimed shots.
Pathfinding is only a problem out of combat in the Infinity Engine games. The only people who think otherwise seem to play the game like an RTS, issuing group actions in combat and not pausing enough. Your fault.

DraQ said:
If BG had proper TB instead of trying to emulate RT using TB mechanics, then trying to use this RT to emulate TB again using autopause I'd probably enjoy it much more. Also, while ability to give orders is cool, there should be some compromise between controllable NPCs and NPCs with their own agenda - design allowing getting an NPC into your party, stripping him of his gear, then sending him packing in "o hai kthxbai" manner is just unambiguously shit. Same with allowing full access to NPC's character sheet instantly exposing an evil NPC even if they are supposed to be skilled manipulators masquerading as some noble fucktard.

Ideally, NPCs should not reveal their entire character sheets, should not give up the best gear suiting their focus or essential supplies*, should not accept orders they'd deem suicidal and should interact with shopkeepers on their own, keeping their personal gold reserves.

Overriding those factors with direct commands should depend on PC's charisma, NPC's personality as well as trust and relationship between NPC and the PC.

It would also make charisma actually relevant stat even in combat.
This is some serious storyfag shit right here. If I bring a guy into my party so that I control them then I want to know their bloody alignment. I don't want shit hidden from me. If I want to take an NPC's items and kick them out then the game should let me do so. I wouldn't mind if the NPC turns hostile after kicking them out of the party with no items, but why would they attack my party naked? That would be incredibly foolish. The characters I recruit should be mine to control. A Baldur's Gate with AI controlled party members, hidden statistics/alignment and items that you can't take from them would be so much worse.

Fuck. AD&D is based entirely around alignment. The alignment is hidden from their character sheet? Memorise that shitty know alignment spell, cast it, remember it. Does one of your characters happen to take damage when casting that holy smite spell? They're evil. Does your recruited cleric get good cleric spells instead of evil cleric spells? Then they are good. Only in a game that uses alignment for plot related shit only could you effectively hide alignment. It's way too ingrained into the AD&D rules, especially in combat, for it to be an effective option.

Plus, if recruitable party members had all these shitty "role-playing" restrictions that you wanted them to have, everyone, including myself, would just play a multi-player game with a player made party of 6 to get around that faggotry.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
DraQ said:
Un-derping from wyrmlordian..................................................................Done.
Yeah, gotta admit that he seems to have seen a bit of :incline: during his sabbatical.

DraQ

Arcane
commie said:
DraQ said:
Wyrmlord said:
Wow, Jakub Zahowrski, even when you agree with me, you have to say something bad about me.

What do you have against me, Jakub?
Praatek Senjay detected.
:smug:

What? DraQ is a Jakub? And here I thought being a Mariusz sucked arse, at least I don't have a Joo name!

:troll:
:x

MMXI said:
DraQ said:
Pathfinding is only a problem out of combat in the Infinity Engine games.
Nope. It's primarily problem in combat, especially when said combat happens in cramped interiors.
When travelling you have a lot of time to corral your wayward retards at your leisure before venturing forth.

The only people who think otherwise seem to play the game like an RTS, issuing group actions in combat and not pausing enough. Your fault.
Well, the games do have RTS style interface, and if pausing enough means mashing space bar like an epileptic chimp, I have better things to do.

Shit combat is shit is shit is shit.

This is some serious storyfag shit right here.
Lolwut.
Making stats matter and implementing actual mechanics rather than LARPing is storyfag shit - you've heard it first from MMXI.

If I bring a guy into my party so that I control them then I want to know their bloody alignment. I don't want shit hidden from me. If I want to take an NPC's items and kick them out then the game should let me do so. I wouldn't mind if the NPC turns hostile after kicking them out of the party with no items, but why would they attack my party naked? That would be incredibly foolish. The characters I recruit should be mine to control. A Baldur's Gate with AI controlled party members, hidden statistics/alignment and items that you can't take from them would be so much worse.
Because BG where you join with a psychotic evil necromancer and psychopatic rat of a halfling as a pretty much distressed youngster, then tell them to give up their scrolls, weapons and armour and send the on their way is just so much better.
:roll:

There are two approaches. Either you treat your combat seriously and try to integrate it with the rest of the mechanics as much as possible, or you treat it as a minigame, not unlike other minigames, with little actual relation to the events it resolves.

If you want to mesh it well, then things like an NPC you've first met 5' ago not trusting you with their stuff, a cowardly rogue deciding to leg it when you expect him to charge into the fray and people's willingness to accept your orders instead of their own (AI driven) judgement being tied to your charisma, their discipline and opinion of you are yet another part of the deal in the same way as your best swordsman chopping you up because you gave him a cursed sword is.

If you want it to be yet another minigame, dissociated from the context keeping the game together, then play some genre where it fits - JPG for instance.

Fuck. AD&D is based entirely around alignment.
Yes. One of the countless reasons why it's such an infantile sucky shit that sucks, actually.

The alignment is hidden from their character sheet? Memorise that shitty know alignment spell, cast it, remember it. Does one of your characters happen to take damage when casting that holy smite spell? They're evil. Does your recruited cleric get good cleric spells instead of evil cleric spells? Then they are good.
And those are mechanical means of learning character's alignment, completely unlike metagame'y "look at the character sheet".

Only in a game that uses alignment for plot related shit only could you effectively hide alignment. It's way too ingrained into the AD&D rules, especially in combat, for it to be an effective option.
There is always an option of performing setting-rape and limiting or eliminating easy ways to learn alignment. Setting-rape is only wrong when the setting is good in the first place anyway.
:mca:

Plus, if recruitable party members had all these shitty "role-playing" restrictions that you wanted them to have, everyone, including myself, would just play a multi-player game with a player made party of 6 to get around that faggotry.
What if you were always restricted to controlling only one character from a single box? :troll:

Plus, D&D has much shittier "role-playing" restrictions built firmly into the ruleset. I'd gladly exchange an arbitrary inability to wear armour as a mage or to use edged weapons as a cleric (there can be consequences for the latter if it angers cleric's deity of choice) for a sociopathic halfling not wanting to part with the only thing standing between him and enemy blades with a pretty much random passerby (Unless said passerby offers him something better to cover his back, that is).
A character not wanting to exchange gear unless for better gear, possibly overriden by various factors like trust, obedience and needing to buy a cure disease potion badly seems like a reasonable limitation in comparison to arbitrary ones imposed on you in IE games.

Hell, an alignment itself is shitty roleplaying restriction.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MMXI said:
Click on target, watch your PC waste an ENTIRE ROUND while the pathfinding routine tries to figure it out.

I liked BG, but this was rage-inducing. And has nothing to do with RTS (which I don't play much).

Memorise that shitty know alignment spell, cast it, remember it.
And then be all surprised when Jon Irenicus registers as good :smug:

Know Alignment is theoretically great, but considering how little thought was given to character sheets in the BG's relying on it is pretty dangerous.

First thing I did when installing TOEE was get the mod that allowed full control over the NPC's, so I'll have to agree with this. However....

DraQ said:
I also happen to agree with this. Key word being "ideally". But until developers come up with AI that's good enough for this, I'd rather go for full control.

commie said:
What? DraQ is a Jakub? And here I thought being a Mariusz sucked arse
I am not even going to ask why Wyrmlord knew DraQ's real name. What a stalker :?

MMXI

Arcane
DraQ said:
Nope. It's primarily problem in combat, especially when said combat happens in cramped interiors.
When travelling you have a lot of time to corral your wayward retards at your leisure before venturing forth.
Oh, of course! Outside of combat you can inch your characters towards their destination slowly, even if you only want to get to a shop on the other side of the map, but in combat when enemies are within your line of sight you have to make long range movements to a safe haven 5 miles away!

Nah. Bullshit. I'll just go with you playing the game wrongly. It sounds like you spend your time in combat kiting enemies around the map, picking them off with ranged attacks. Blame your inability to play properly instead of the pathfinding.

DraQ said:
Well, the games do have RTS style interface, and if pausing enough means mashing space bar like an epileptic chimp, I have better things to do.

Shit combat is shit is shit is shit.
RTS style interface? Of course it does. It allows you to select characters individually, while also letting you select your whole party. That means you should play it like an RTS! Good luck!

DraQ said:
Lolwut.
Making stats matter and implementing actual mechanics rather than LARPing is storyfag shit - you've heard it first from MMXI.
LARPing is storyfag shit? What are you on about? No one mentioned LARPing. Is your inability to read still holding you back from making decent conversation? Storyfag shit is storyfag shit. Having evil party members with hidden alignments suddenly turn on you at convenient points in the game instead of having party members with open alignments who you can treat however you want is indeed storyfag shit.

DraQ said:
Because BG where you join with a psychotic evil necromancer and psychopatic rat of a halfling as a pretty much distressed youngster, then tell them to give up their scrolls, weapons and armour and send the on their way is just so much better.
:roll:

There are two approaches. Either you treat your combat seriously and try to integrate it with the rest of the mechanics as much as possible, or you treat it as a minigame, not unlike other minigames, with little actual relation to the events it resolves.

If you want to mesh it well, then things like an NPC you've first met 5' ago not trusting you with their stuff, a cowardly rogue deciding to leg it when you expect him to charge into the fray and people's willingness to accept your orders instead of their own (AI driven) judgement being tied to your charisma, their discipline and opinion of you are yet another part of the deal in the same way as your best swordsman chopping you up because you gave him a cursed sword is.

If you want it to be yet another minigame, dissociated from the context keeping the game together, then play some genre where it fits - JPG for instance.
Your argument is so full of shit because you essentially want to sacrifice full party control for "believability" and "immersion", having characters who have their own opinions of you and only follow orders under given conditions. My characters are my characters.

DraQ said:
And those are mechanical means of learning character's alignment, completely unlike metagame'y "look at the character sheet".
But my characters are my fucking characters! Why the hell would I want their statistics to be hidden from me? How the hell am I supposed to use them effectively if they aren't who I think they are?

DraQ said:
There is always an option of performing setting-rape and limiting or eliminating easy ways to learn alignment. Setting-rape is only wrong when the setting is good in the first place anyway.
:mca:
Lorefag detected.

DraQ said:
What if you were always restricted to controlling only one character from a single box? :troll:

Plus, D&D has much shittier "role-playing" restrictions built firmly into the ruleset. I'd gladly exchange an arbitrary inability to wear armour as a mage or to use edged weapons as a cleric (there can be consequences for the latter if it angers cleric's deity of choice) for a sociopathic halfling not wanting to part with the only thing standing between him and enemy blades with a pretty much random passerby (Unless said passerby offers him something better to cover his back, that is).
A character not wanting to exchange gear unless for better gear, possibly overriden by various factors like trust, obedience and needing to buy a cure disease potion badly seems like a reasonable limitation in comparison to arbitrary ones imposed on you in IE games.

Hell, an alignment itself is shitty roleplaying restriction.
So why not apply that to the protagonist? You can't sell items if the protagonist deems it a stupid thing to do. You can't move items from the protagonist to a party member if the protagonist doesn't trust the party member. The game assigns a random alignment to the protagonist at the start of the game requiring you to figure it out. You have to build up the protagonist's trust scores with other characters in order to get the protagonist to perform certain actions. How about all that?

:retarded:

Sceptic said:
Click on target, watch your PC waste an ENTIRE ROUND while the pathfinding routine tries to figure it out.
Uh, no. They tend to finish off their current action first, for example when they are in mid-swing. The pathfinding does not last an entire round. In fact, if the game is paused when you issue new orders (it should be) then the actual pathfinding will compute when it's paused. The lag between issuing orders and then being performed is due to how time is kept in the game. It's not 100% "real-time".

Sceptic said:
Know Alignment is theoretically great, but considering how little thought was given to character sheets in the BG's relying on it is pretty dangerous.
Doesn't matter. It was an example. All I care about is for the alignments of party members to be displayed on their character sheets, which they are. DraQ wants the stats of party members hidden so you only have partial character sheets, requiring you to use spells like know alignment to figure them out. That would pretty much destroy all that is great about party-based RPGs.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
^^ INTJ detected ^^

Surf Solar said:
I thank god to this day that Fallout didn't feauture full party based control. The reasons have been discussed before, for me it is more enjoyable to see random stuff happening when the companions do their turn (I never really had problems with their AI and stuff like them shooting you in the back accidently only added for me). They aren't lifeless shells ordered around like some muppets, they have their own "life". It doesn't really make sense to give some people "orders" in this setting, as you're not controlling some elite commando, rather some random wastelanders travelling together, as they can get pissed by your actions or even decide to attack you at some point.

The story etc. is about you - the chosen one/vault dweller - not about the whole party. It is not centred around travelling in a party, it is just an option. Full party control would've made the game even more easy than it already is too, IMO.

^^INFJ detected^^

Hello soulmate.

Unfortunately we'll find ourselves in the minority here.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sceptic said:
MMXI said:

I liked BG, but this was rage-inducing.

Even though the part about wasting an entire round is not correct, having been used to the Gold Box games and loving them, I used to feel the same way about the IE games. Especially the pathfinding could almost send me into a berserker rage and make me want to smash the screen into goo. But the more I played it and got used to it the more I liked it, even though the extreme micromanagement needed in complex battles coupled with the lack of complete control can still be frustrating.

Baron

Arcane
I don't mind party based games. Not so big on NPC party members (I'm looking at you Dupre), unless they're included for short durations - like a single chapter, and included only for them to betray me or me to betray them.

Otherwise I prefer a solo character with the occasional temporary NPC, like Fallout 3. Travelling with Dogmeat until he's exploded by raiders. Then repair a military robot until he's overwhelmed by giant ants. Or hire a couple of Jet addicts as bodyguards. I don't care, it all adds to my story in the Wasteland. I just don't want to ever know their alignment or be such a pussy that I should desire to take off all their equipment or control their every move (Shotgunning them in the back then stripping their corpse is fine.) I would love a Fallout mod where every time you slept you took a risk that if your companion(s) were unhappy they could secret attack as you slept, ie. waking to a starving Dogmeat with his jaws around your throat. Probably shouldn't have kicked him so much as a puppy...

Eat or be ett, I say. But NPCs should have their alignment hidden simply because they're the DM's characters, not yours.

MMXI

Arcane
Baron said:
But NPCs should have their alignment hidden simply because they're the DM's characters, not yours.
NPCs are, yes. But I treat recruitable party members as my own characters. I'm talking about those that the DM has created for me to choose between. The only real exception is in older RPGs in which you create an entire party but get a few NPC helpers to tag along with you for specific quests (or even as mercenaries like in Pool of Radiance), as the created party is enough to treat as my own. In other words:

Single character = Don't want.
Single character + AI controlled companions = Don't want.
Single character + fully controllable companions = I'm fine with this.
Multiple characters + AI controlled companions = I'm fine with this.
Multiple characters = Excellent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom