Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview When You Press a Button Something Awesome Happens

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
didn't you pay attention, Mike Laidlaw personally said they will take care that the combat feels more visceral and that something awesome happens everytime you push a button, this is Dragon Age 2 FFS, awesome shit must happen

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"alternatively as of March this year ME2 had sold 1.6 million"

Didn't ME2 coime out in late Feb? Or wa sit late jan/ ME2 has sold as much as DA give or take a few thousand.

P.S. Anywone who thinks Bethesda's games are better than anyone's games - even the 2nd worst company ever - is stupidly delusional.

Bethesda has got to be the worst ever developer/publisher who was also a success. Goitta give them props for delivering turds that consumers wanna pay full price for. HA!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
denizsi said:
JarlFrank said:
I actually prefer Beth games to Bioware games, except for Oblivion which was shit due to level scaling.

Yes, the only significant flaw of an otherwise great game. amirite?

Well, it's still better than linear popamole/huge fucking filler encounters with lenghty cutscenes in-between.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
JarlFrank said:
denizsi said:
JarlFrank said:
I actually prefer Beth games to Bioware games, except for Oblivion which was shit due to level scaling.

Yes, the only significant flaw of an otherwise great game. amirite?

Well, it's still better than linear popamole/huge fucking filler encounters with lenghty cutscenes in-between.

RPG Codex: Comparing different flavors of diarrhea since 2006.

kris

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
didn't you pay attention, Mike Laidlaw personally said they will take care that the combat feels more visceral and that something awesome happens everytime you push a button, this is Dragon Age 2 FFS, awesome shit must happen

I am really looking forward to the new one-button XBOX360 controller for all these next gen games. Progress.

denizsi

Arcane
DON'T TELL ME THEY GOT TO YOU! That's what they want you to believe! They want you to become... one of them!

mydnight

Educated
I'm sure with their refinement with every version by the time we get to DA: 4 in 2014 bioware would have claimed that they have perfected the formula and DA: 4 turns out to be God of War. Congrats bioware.

I guess its part of their plan to capture both the rpg and casual gamer market in one package.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Mastermind said:
Exmit said:
ME2 has the worst selling number , conclusion ?

My conclusion is that the claims of both developers and codexfags that console/casual players like everything to be stupid simple is a lie. I've suspected it ever since xbox Morrowind outsold its PC counterpart despite being a mediocre port with atrocious loading times and constant crashing. I can understand why developers lie: they want to lower production costs without looking cheap, so they just say it's what the people want. What's the codexfag's excuse? I suspect the codexfag may not be lying after all. He's just retarded. If codexfags and their spiritual bretheren across the gaming world would stop bashing console players who haven't actually done anything to them and just pointed out to developers that their emperor has no clothes, we'd all be more likely to get a decent, complex RPG once in a while.

Bingo.. Its like I said before. Games like DA:O and Fable are much easier than the typical DS platformer. Level scaling is just a way to get out of QAing balance. Simplified 3 party combat is just a way to get out developing deep combat. EA already admitted they would rather sell two B class games than one A+ game. The casual gamer is a good scape goat but this may fall in their face. Most people hated on DA:O because it was a grind fest with scaled mobs. The solution is not to speed up the grind lol.

Achilles

Arcane
If only that were true. If the casual gamers didn't actually love this shit, they could just not buy stupid games and force the developers into making better ones. Haven't you ever tried to get a casual gamer friend interested in a "deeper" game? I have and it was both funny and tragic at the same time. I have no no doubt that developers are trying to cut gameplay corners, but the audience is just as responsible for the problem. They couldn't find Caius Cosades, FFS.

Topher

Cipher
Alexandros said:
If only that were true. If the casual gamers didn't actually love this shit, they could just not buy stupid games and force the developers into making better ones. Haven't you ever tried to get a casual gamer friend interested in a "deeper" game? I have and it was both funny and tragic at the same time. I have no no doubt that developers are trying to cut gameplay corners, but the audience is just as responsible for the problem. They couldn't find Caius Cosades, FFS.

I couldn't find him the first time I played, well not for some time at least, but I didn't stop playing.

denizsi

Arcane
Indeed. Let me quote a prestigious poster's thoughts on the matter from a recently necroed thread.

The biggest offense is in the modding scene. 9 out of 10 mod attempts are undertaken by clueless idiots who think they are the hot shit. When you look what their mod is about, it's either a Barbie dressing mod, or a mod that goes like this:

In this mod you're Cain Blake, who was special and now needs to show how special he is. This will be a special game with never before seen special shit. Let me show you: Here's the map list. Here's the weapon list. Here are my craptastic drawings. Fuck Yeah! PS. I need coders, modelers, animators, texture artists, concept artists, writers, beta testers, PR managers, forum managers and oh god know what else so in the meantime, let me masturbate again.

One would think mod scene would be blossoming with so many shit titles but shit only gives way for more shit.

Look at Bethesda games. Creating quests (quality notwithstanding) is as easy as it could be in MW, OB and FO3. Their tools are very functional. Yet, literally 99 out of 100 mods are nude/dressup mods. Whereas modders 10-15 years ago were creating wonders after much code-wrestling, apes today can't even be bothered to learn the basic functionalities in a toolset or basic scripting. Also compare the modding activity from MW to OB to FO3. It went shittier with every game, from more scripting/quest-centric to less and pretty heavily visual-centric to gigantic level of visual-centric.

No, I think there's a growing fundamental difference of mentality between the generations. Maybe it's that many people who did wonders with older games were coming from a background where didn't grow up being bombarded with shit titles with shiny graphics. I don't know but as graphical quality is rising, so are the tools and the means to produce them getting easier, more streamlined, so I don't think it has as much to do with the rising graphical bar as with the attention span and intelligence level of average gamer. They are just fucking dumb.

Relay

Educated
Bioware makes interactive movies, not RPG and not even remotely what I would call "games". Oblivion is a better game than any of the shit Bio sent flying on its fanbase since BG2. Two quest lines alone make Oblivion far superior than the usual straightjacketed Biowhore trite : the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood. I didn't find anything as remotely awesome in DA or ME2 as those two questlines.
Rogues in DA are just a flamingly gay (hay Zevran), dual wielding variation of the warrior (and DA2 reinforces this because they made it so only the rogue could use a bow and dual wield. Yes, your warrior can't use a bow in DA2!), I never felt like I played a rogue. What the game calls stealing is being allowed to pickpocket everyone a single time each with little reward and nil consequences beyond random encounters in Denerim. You can't kill anyone besides the NPCs with hardcoded (KILL) dialogue choice. You can't really steal from the merchant inventory. Stealth is absolutely useless and so are traps. The world is fully static and you can throw a bomb at the denerim market without it killing anyone.

That there was people like VD to defend DA and call it the best RPG since ARCANUM is beyond my understanding. You could practically do anything you wanted to in Arcanum, you had full freedom and control over your character and world interactions. How can one call DA the best since Arcanum ? DA is a fucking movie with filler combat. It's a JRPG with just a tiny bit more choice (chose the order of the four main tasks, a Biowhore classic since KOTOR).

denizsi

Arcane
They got to VD, man. He's been a different beast ever since.

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-pod1.jpg

Topher

Cipher
denizsi said:
Indeed. Let me quote a prestigious poster's thoughts on the matter from a recently necroed thread.

The biggest offense is in the modding scene. 9 out of 10 mod attempts are undertaken by clueless idiots who think they are the hot shit. When you look what their mod is about, it's either a Barbie dressing mod, or a mod that goes like this:

In this mod you're Cain Blake, who was special and now needs to show how special he is. This will be a special game with never before seen special shit. Let me show you: Here's the map list. Here's the weapon list. Here are my craptastic drawings. Fuck Yeah! PS. I need coders, modelers, animators, texture artists, concept artists, writers, beta testers, PR managers, forum managers and oh god know what else so in the meantime, let me masturbate again.

One would think mod scene would be blossoming with so many shit titles but shit only gives way for more shit.

Look at Bethesda games. Creating quests (quality notwithstanding) is as easy as it could be in MW, OB and FO3. Their tools are very functional. Yet, literally 99 out of 100 mods are nude/dressup mods. Whereas modders 10-15 years ago were creating wonders after much code-wrestling, apes today can't even be bothered to learn the basic functionalities in a toolset or basic scripting. Also compare the modding activity from MW to OB to FO3. It went shittier with every game, from more scripting/quest-centric to less and pretty heavily visual-centric to gigantic level of visual-centric.

No, I think there's a growing fundamental difference of mentality between the generations. Maybe it's that many people who did wonders with older games were coming from a background where didn't grow up being bombarded with shit titles with shiny graphics. I don't know but as graphical quality is rising, so are the tools and the means to produce them getting easier, more streamlined, so I don't think it has as much to do with the rising graphical bar as with the attention span and intelligence level of average gamer. They are just fucking dumb.

I used to make custom maps in Vampire the Masquerade and they were well received by those who saw them, speaking from a strictly design standpoint. I even made a few dungeons for Morrowind that were quite nice but my lack of any scripting knowledge has kept me away from undertaking a more serious project.

denizsi

Arcane
Let me guess, you weren't born with the innate universal understanding of scripting, that's why you couldn't be arsed to learn it. Assuming you wanted to.

Topher

Cipher
denizsi said:
Let me guess, you weren't born with the innate universal understanding of scripting, that's why you couldn't be arsed to learn it. Assuming you wanted to.

Why do people get so defensive about this? Anyway, I haven't had the motivation to learn it at this point because while it's something I might look into at some point it's not something I want on my plate at the moment. Messing around with engines and developer tools is just a part-time hobby. I've actually spent more time working with blender and the various developer kits then anything else, though I did spend some time with FIFE but I was admittedly pretty lost.

Topher

Cipher
denizsi said:
Don't mind me, you aren't exactly the subject of my estimations anyway.

That's quite alright. I know how annoying upstart modders/want-to-be developers are. It drives me nuts when they make topics about these ambition "best game evar" projects they've got planned but can't actually make because they have absolutely none of the required skills. I always assume they're just some overeager kid who has gotten excited. We all made paper board games or whatnot when we were younger and we all made more out of it then it really merited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom