Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview When You Press a Button Something Awesome Happens

Ancient

Erudite
When you stroke your dick something awesome happens :P

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
denizsi said:
No, I think there's a growing fundamental difference of mentality between the generations. Maybe it's that many people who did wonders with older games were coming from a background where didn't grow up being bombarded with shit titles with shiny graphics. I don't know but as graphical quality is rising, so are the tools and the means to produce them getting easier, more streamlined, so I don't think it has as much to do with the rising graphical bar as with the attention span and intelligence level of average gamer. They are just fucking dumb.
I think that perhaps the kind of games we're talking about here attract that kind of gamer. That kind of gamer is Bethesda's target audience. If you look at the strategy genre it seems that on average the mod's are generally more sophisticated even in the case of more accessible games like Civ 4.

Topher

Cipher
latexmonkeys said:
denizsi said:
No, I think there's a growing fundamental difference of mentality between the generations. Maybe it's that many people who did wonders with older games were coming from a background where didn't grow up being bombarded with shit titles with shiny graphics. I don't know but as graphical quality is rising, so are the tools and the means to produce them getting easier, more streamlined, so I don't think it has as much to do with the rising graphical bar as with the attention span and intelligence level of average gamer. They are just fucking dumb.
I think that perhaps the kind of games we're talking about here attract that kind of gamer. That kind of gamer is Bethesda's target audience. If you look at the strategy genre it seems that on average the mod's are generally more sophisticated even in the case of more accessible games like Civ 4.

How do we attract Oblivion players and people who love Fallout 3?

Topher

Cipher
denizsi said:
He used "here" figuratively.

Comprehension fail really is grand isn't it. Serves me right posting in so many topics at once, I just don't have the chops for it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Relay said:
Oblivion is a better game than any of the shit Bio sent flying on its fanbase since BG2.
Do explain why Oblivion is better than KOTOR.

Two quest lines alone make Oblivion far superior than the usual straightjacketed Biowhore trite : the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood. I didn't find anything as remotely awesome in DA or ME2 as those two questlines.
And what makes the Dark Brotherhood questline so awesome?

That there was people like VD to defend DA and call it the best RPG since ARCANUM is beyond my understanding. You could practically do anything you wanted to in Arcanum, you had full freedom and control over your character and world interactions. How can one call DA the best since Arcanum ? DA is a fucking movie with filler combat. It's a JRPG with just a tiny bit more choice (chose the order of the four main tasks, a Biowhore classic since KOTOR).
First, I said the best since Arcanum, not as good as Arcanum. I hope your grasp of English allows you to see the difference. Second, DA has quite a few choices, which were well explained in my review. Saying that it's a movie or that the only choice is the order of the main task is simply not true.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Alexandros said:
If only that were true. If the casual gamers didn't actually love this shit, they could just not buy stupid games and force the developers into making better ones. Haven't you ever tried to get a casual gamer friend interested in a "deeper" game? I have and it was both funny and tragic at the same time. I have no no doubt that developers are trying to cut gameplay corners, but the audience is just as responsible for the problem. They couldn't find Caius Cosades, FFS.

There isnt much else out there and most multiplatform RPGs are somehwat rightly billed as hardcore games. DA:O was supposed to be a throw back successor to BG. When Fable was Project Ego it was, well take a look. It was a C&C sim with child killing.
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/con ... ming/73319

When people speak with their wallets and the games don't deliver the expected sales the devs/pubs blame depth and difficulty and dumb the game down even further. This wont change until a few thought provoking RPGs with throwback combat slams the mainstream. The best way to speak with the wallet is to buy the good shit. Of coarse someone needs to deliver the goods first. AP would have been there with Full Spectrum Warrior's combat.

Rogue

Educated
Exmit said:
.Sigurd said:
The comments seems to be pretty impressive for the kind of site.

Random guy said:
to those who think they are doing this to reach a bigger audience here are some sales figures for you.

DA sold/shipped 3.8 million copies,Baldur's gate 2 sold 2 million, neverwinter nights + expansions nearly 3 million
kotor 3 million, alternatively as of March this year ME2 had sold 1.6 million and those figures come from both bioware and EA itself, so its not even like they are reaching a bigger audience by doing this. Has the audience changed, well they made DA to be more like the old school games (its still simple compared to those old games but still great game) and it became the best selling game the company have ever made, which makes it so hard to figure out exactly why they are continuing to simplify the games they make.

ME2 has the worst selling number , conclusion ?

non hardcore RPG newfags don't give a shit about rpgs , and hardcore RPG fans don't give a shit about dumbed down RPG that's why ME2 has the worst selling number - its target audience is no one , cause newfags like popamole and rpgers don't like dumbed down shit - seems like developers don't know anymore what they are doing.

If they made Baldurs Gate 3 with proper gameplay like the old ones (then i don't care if it's on xbox and ps3 also , a good game is a good game) the sells would sky rocket.

EA/bioware is shooting its own foot

Well said, good sir. :salute:

Kaanyrvhok said:
Mastermind said:
Exmit said:
ME2 has the worst selling number , conclusion ?

My conclusion is that the claims of both developers and codexfags that console/casual players like everything to be stupid simple is a lie. I've suspected it ever since xbox Morrowind outsold its PC counterpart despite being a mediocre port with atrocious loading times and constant crashing. I can understand why developers lie: they want to lower production costs without looking cheap, so they just say it's what the people want. What's the codexfag's excuse? I suspect the codexfag may not be lying after all. He's just retarded. If codexfags and their spiritual bretheren across the gaming world would stop bashing console players who haven't actually done anything to them and just pointed out to developers that their emperor has no clothes, we'd all be more likely to get a decent, complex RPG once in a while.

And you too, good sir :salute:

I personally don't give a shit which platform I play a game on. I think that the platform in general has a much lesser effect on preferred genres than some would like to believe. There are too many other variables in the equation. So I think that sooner or later, these developers will have to realize that even if everyone was using one platform or the other, visceral RPGs will not sell that well. They 'improved' ME, that wasn't brilliant to begin with, and I really don't know why the fuck anyone would want to play ME2. A bunch of shooter wannabe dumbfuckery combined with crappy cut scenes and dialogue. Give me a shooter or give me a RPG. Also, Shepard is a dumb annoying cunt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom