Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where are you on the FEV vs radiation debate

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Hmm? FEV did the master, super mutants, centaurs, and 9/11.

But when it comes to radscorpions and so on, was it FEV leaked into the air from West Tek combined with radiation or was it radiation alone? There is no word of god on the subject, or rather is should say the gods have differing stories.

I personally think the radiation theory fits the 1950's monster movie bit better.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What about the ghouls, I seem to remember that they were all from the necropolis vault, and the they only became ghouls because of slow exposure to radiation right? Then why are there ghouls on the east coast in F3?

Luzur

Good Sir
according to what i remember one of those rotten girls in that old museum told me the population of Washington hid in the subways which was not radiation proof and therefore made lots of ghouls.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That seems wrong somehow... that should have killed them rather than turn them into ghouls. A subway couldn't be as good as a vault when it comes to protection from radiation right?

Fomorian

Novice
I believe it was retconned that the Necropolis Vault was deliberately sabotaged to expose the inhabitants to a steady dose of radiation once the Vault Experiment angle got introduced.

So I guess you could argue the same thing could apply to a bunch of people in a subway. Not like Bethesda would risk coming up with something new.

Dragula said:
And that's why that annoying chick turns into a ghoul when you nuke the town?

Moira...doesn't count. She's special, like Harold. That, and she probably tests her homemade chemicals on herself.

That's right, I likened Moira to Harold and you can't punch me, because this is the internet.

I thought it was stated at some point that the side effect of FEV was that all affected creatures were rendered sterile? So certainly it shouldn't be any random monster you find on the wasteland, at best if some leaked out you would have an encounter with some kind of super-radscorpion boss monster, but it should be rare.

Of course, if you consider F3 to be cannon, super mutants apparently are made from magic :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Radiation for all those two headed critters and stuff, most likely.

Oh yeah, were deathclaws FEV experiments or pure radiation? Can't recall if it was mentioned in Fallout 2 that the FEV was used on them.

Squirly

Educated
Seeing Moira outside megaton after I nuked the shit out of it made me really sad.

On one hand I actually felt bad for what I did, on the other I realized that this game just went that much further to fucking stupid. God knows, Beth wouldn't want to deprive you of a trader in the game.

Bruticis

kingcomrade said:
Hmm? FEV did the master, super mutants, centaurs, and 9/11.

But when it comes to radscorpions and so on, was it FEV leaked into the air from West Tek combined with radiation or was it radiation alone? There is no word of god on the subject, or rather is should say the gods have differing stories.

I personally think the radiation theory fits the 1950's monster movie bit better.

I thought the Fallout bible answered this?

"3. Are the radscorpions a product of the FEV virus? When you talk to the doctor, Razlo, in Shady Sands, he tells you that they were once American Emperor Scorpions but that he has no idea how they mutated because radiation alone couldn't have done it. For that matter, what about all of the other creatures of the wasteland? Which ones have been mutated by FEV and which ones haven't? Maybe in the bestiary each creature could have a stat that shows it's level of FEV infection.
Answer:
• The radscorpions are a result of a combination of radiation and the FEV virus, and Razlo in Shady Sands is correct - they were originally Emperor Scorpions that have grown... big.
• FEV-Infected Critters in the wasteland include almost all the ones you've seen in F1 and F2:
Mantises.
Most species of rats.
Gecko lizards.
Brahmin
Scorpions
Ants
Various varieties of plants, including the Venus Flytrap.
Rumor has it some dogs were affected, but no one's seen any, so for now that's just rumor. Of course, the centaurs are a mash of human, dog, and various other parts... but hey, who knows how"

Clockwork Knight said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Of course, if you consider F3 to be cannon, super mutants apparently are made from magic :lol:

iirc, the process of creation is the same.

edit: yep, the same. They use the FEV on vault 87.

The problem is the whole sterile thing, combined with the fact that F3 takes place something like 50 years in the future. Given the fact that most super mutants are being shot on sight, they shouldn't still be controlling 3/4ths of the F3 wasteland.

I thought the Fallout bible answered this?

"3. Are the radscorpions a product of the FEV virus? When you talk to the doctor, Razlo, in Shady Sands, he tells you that they were once American Emperor Scorpions but that he has no idea how they mutated because radiation alone couldn't have done it. For that matter, what about all of the other creatures of the wasteland? Which ones have been mutated by FEV and which ones haven't? Maybe in the bestiary each creature could have a stat that shows it's level of FEV infection.
Answer:
• The radscorpions are a result of a combination of radiation and the FEV virus, and Razlo in Shady Sands is correct - they were originally Emperor Scorpions that have grown... big.
• FEV-Infected Critters in the wasteland include almost all the ones you've seen in F1 and F2:
Mantises.
Most species of rats.
Gecko lizards.
Brahmin
Scorpions
Ants
Various varieties of plants, including the Venus Flytrap.
Rumor has it some dogs were affected, but no one's seen any, so for now that's just rumor. Of course, the centaurs are a mash of human, dog, and various other parts... but hey, who knows how"

I guess that means either FEV doesn't cause sterility in non-humans, or there are some kind of underground FEV dumps poisoning areas or something. I remember the fallout bible definitively stating that super mutants couldn't reproduce counter to the joke Marcus made, but I can't remember if it said sterility happened to all FEV subjects.

Overweight Manatee said:
The problem is the whole sterile thing, combined with the fact that F3 takes place something like 50 years in the future. Given the fact that most super mutants are being shot on sight, they shouldn't still be controlling 3/4ths of the F3 wasteland.

Sterility isn't a problem since they "reproduce" by injecting FEV into captives (which is why they don't eat everyone they kidnap).

The other point is probably correct (it's stated that creating more of them is their main occupation, though, so they probably just haul a lot of people away).

Bruticis

Melcar said:
The FO wiki is filled with so much bullshit and contradicting info that I stopped caring long ago.

I'm not a big fan of the wiki either but I'm pretty sure the Fallout Bible is accurate (i.e. the best source we have available).

Radisshu

Prophet
Bruticis said:
Melcar said:
The FO wiki is filled with so much bullshit and contradicting info that I stopped caring long ago.

I'm not a big fan of the wiki either but I'm pretty sure the Fallout Bible is accurate (i.e. the best source we have available).

Doesn't he retract that FEV statement later on in the bible?

Bruticis

Radisshu said:
Bruticis said:
Melcar said:

Doesn't he retract that FEV statement later on in the bible?

In regards to the radscrops and FEV? Not that I found, just did a search and didn't find any retractions on that issues unless I'm missing it.

Phelot

Arcane
Honestly, I don't really consider FO2 or 3 to be cannon. Especially 3 which as VD has said just added in "cool" shit. Mutants in the East Coast? As if there were a legit reason other then "it's fallout! We need mutants!"

Bruticis

phelot said:
Honestly, I don't really consider FO2 or 3 to be cannon. Especially 3 which as VD has said just added in "cool" shit. Mutants in the East Coast? As if there were a legit reason other then "it's fallout! We need mutants!"

There's a Fallout 3?

Bruticis

I did find this towards the end of the bible:

- FEV (Forced Evolutionary Virus) explains the more grievous mutations in the wasteland (the Master,
the Master's pets such as the floaters and centaurs, super mutants, Harold), and radiation caused most of
the other giant-style mutations you see (scorpions, rats, ants, etc.) and some of the others (ghouls).

So, MCA did contradict himself a bit without ever really addressing which is correct.

Drakron

Arcane
treave said:
Oh yeah, were deathclaws FEV experiments or pure radiation?

Dearthclaws were pre-war bioweapons, they are Jackson's Chameleons genetically modified with the DNA of various other species.

Neither FEV or radiation was involved, Talking deathclaws on the other hand were created when the Enclave exposed Deathclaws to FEV in a attempt to improve then (it did, just not in the way they wanted).

Bruticis said:
I did find this towards the end of the bible:
So, MCA did contradict himself a bit without ever really addressing which is correct.

MCA was in the FEV camp and then switched to the radiation camp, I guess he saw the light as Radiation was SCIENCE! as FEV is more of a 80's thing.

The Fallout Bible contradicts itself a bit because of that, of course Bethsoft also made some dents with making Molerats being a pre-war bioweapon like Deathclaws.

The big issue with FEV is only direct exposure creates mutations, the vaporized and radiated FEV in West-Tek could not have caused it because it was mostly harmless (only affecting direct FEV exposure) so its impossible to create the amount of creatures in Fallout from a logical standpoint, also it breaks the SCIENCE! theme (giant insects from radiation were common in 50's movies) that is the reason I think MCA switched camps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom