Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FriendlyMerchant

I've heard many people ask the question "what do they eat?" in regards to RPG area design. But I never heard anyone seriously ask the question "where do they poop and where does it end up?"

For Todd Howard specifically, why isn't a bathroom routine for the radiant AI in elder scrolls games so that I can assassinate my targets while they're in the one of the most embarrassing (definitely far behind being found hanging in your closet with a belt tied around your neck wearing woman's lingerie with your dick out though) ways to die? Why can't I learn their poop cycle so I can rob their house after spiking their diet without risk of interruption as the sound of their grunts overpowers the sound of my character's footsteps?

Why hasn't any developer done anything like this yet and worked it out mechanically so it can be exploited? Seems like a game selling feature to me.

zlex1Dq.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Outer Worlds actually had a quest about a guy locked in a completely shat up toilet. Because that's the level of humor we're on now.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In Elex while exploring you find a lot of toilets sometimes with some situational humor. Plus you can be a dick and steal all the toilet paper (which comes in 2 types: regular and extra smooth, even post-apocalypse is not without certain luxuries).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
dos1-2 got those. Im a big fan of toilet related quests and there was a thread on codex about those already

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In Elex while exploring you find a lot of toilets sometimes with some situational humor. Plus you can be a dick and steal all the toilet paper (which comes in 2 types: regular and extra smooth, even post-apocalypse is not without certain luxuries).

The 2020 experiment made it obvious that toilet paper would be the hardest fought luxury in a post-apocalyptic world. That is what Fallout got wrong. Money would not be cola caps.

thesecret1

Arcane
I've heard many people ask the question "what do they eat?" in regards to RPG area design. But I never heard anyone seriously ask the question "where do they poop and where does it end up?"
Dan Vávra already called Skyrim out on it, and it's why you can find outhouses all over the place in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Anyway, this line of questioning usually attracts snide retards that go something like "You are wasting time with literal shit instead of making the game!" so most studios don't even bother. When GRRM (whatever you may think of his writing prowess) said LotR didn't deal with various practicalities of the setting (I believe the quote was "What was Aragorn's tax policy?" or something like that), trying to explain what he does differently in regards to worldbuilding compared to Tolkien, he instantly got ridiculed for it. So really, why even bother? People clearly prefer to have the setting full of cool but nonsensical shit, rather than having a self-consistent setting that deals even with the more mundane issues of the world.

jackofshadows

Magister
Underrail has them and that huge toilet in the zoners district contain XP, potential mugger and more. Expansion even provides opportunity to assasinate an officer in a military base's toilet in order to change into his uniform right there.

CP2077 also provides similiar opportunity (knock some guy out there and steal his vip card).

Arx Fatalis had them for sure although don't remember finding anything interesting related to them. Many other RPGs I'm sure, these just off the top of my head, maybe you just didn't paid attention until now?

I assume you're being ironic regarding selling feature but I think it's important enough. At least for any game that use the word immersive at any point for selling itself.

Kruyurk

Learned
Oxygen Not Included (a base building/colony sim) includes realistic poop gameplay (RPG). In it your characters need to have access to toilets or they end up pissing themselves. If they don't have access to a sink to wash their hands afterward (or if these little bastards skip that step) they can propagate germs which can lead to diseases. The wastes produced needs to be stored and processed with care, for example to avoid polluting your drinking water supply.

Obviously ONI is not an role playing game despite having this in-depth RPG layer. But such thing could be applied to a game like Kenshi, where you also build a base. Not washing after the business done could for example reduce your stealth ability, especially when trying to hide from the not so friendly fauna.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
"where do they poop and where does it end up?"

This conundrum in thoroughly explored in Dungeon of Naheulbeuk.
Each floor of the tower has at least one fully furnished WC, and the party holds a couple of insightful conversations on the very question you've asked.

Cross

Arcane
Dan Vávra already called Skyrim out on it, and it's why you can find outhouses all over the place in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Anyway, this line of questioning usually attracts snide retards that go something like "You are wasting time with literal shit instead of making the game!" so most studios don't even bother. When GRRM (whatever you may think of his writing prowess) said LotR didn't deal with various practicalities of the setting (I believe the quote was "What was Aragorn's tax policy?" or something like that), trying to explain what he does differently in regards to worldbuilding compared to Tolkien, he instantly got ridiculed for it. So really, why even bother? People clearly prefer to have the setting full of cool but nonsensical shit, rather than having a self-consistent setting that deals even with the more mundane issues of the world.
He was ridiculed for good reason. That comment from GRRM is stupid on several levels. Aragorn is not a main character in The Lord of the Rings and the book isn't about his future reign as a king, it's about destroying the Ring. The book ends when Aragorn becomes king.

The main characters of The Lord of the Rings are the Hobbits, and the book describes in detail how society is structured in the Shire.

Sotomonte

Learned
In The Shadows over Riva, in the "dungeons" inhabited by humans (the city castle, the necromancer's tower, etc.) you could find their corresponding toilets.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It appears that most fantasy worlds are not modeled after Medieval Europe or the Middle East at all, despite having architecture and clothing aesthetics that look medieval with some influences from 1001 Nights for the more exotic locations.

No, the lack of toilets shows that most fantasy worlds are actually inspired by modern India.
There are no toilets because everyone uses the designated shitting street.

SumDrunkGuy

You can shit and piss in Weird West. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose but it's there. The NPCs also blow up the toilet from time to time. I will say it adds a certain element of authenticity to the game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wouldn't wizards just create a butthole teleport vortex or DIMENSIONAL DEPENDS to piss/crap at leisure but the waste goes elsewhere? WARHAMMER 40K suits & tech games like probably recycle it. D&D games have pet miniature otyughs that lick your butthole clean. You can piss in their mouths like urinals or shit down their uh gullets. They enjoy that and might massage your ass with their tentacles.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom