Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Which game should Hexen 2 replace on the Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs?

Which shit game would you like to see canned so Hexen 2 can get on the list instead?

• Oblivion

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Undertale

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Gothic 3

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Nier Automata

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Falksi

Arcane
Having just returned to playthrough Hexen 2 for the first time in years, I still can't believe how enjoyable an experience it is, and how much it captures the feel & essence of dark fantasy RPGs.

SgxLuGL.jpg

gOMi9PU.jpg

Furthermore, it's fucking incredible that flakey, RPG-lite shite such as the likes of Oblivion make the Codex's top 101 PC RPG's list, yet Hexen 2 isn't featured on there.

Vy6kq8E.jpg

So which game does it need to replace for the Codex to hang on to it's credibility?

I've added my choices. Will add any further suggestions if I can be arsed.

Falksi

Arcane
It is embarrassing that people need validation from some list on internet to admit that they like the games they actually like.

On the contrary, it's embarrassing that we've created a society so full of slack jawed faggots that so many are willing to allow the mass consumer decline enablers seep into the Codex so much with their stank foulness.

Games like Oblivion & Undertale should be crushed underfoot by Codexers for quality such as Hexen 2.

Devastator

Learned
I played that thing on some crappy PC when it came out. I barely remember it, other than it overall seemed pretty good at the time. I guess you get some attributes, skills, and such without Oblivion's nonsense in the form of dialogue, mini-games, etc.

Of course, the current list isn't enough incoherent, let's include other 20 shooters, action games, jrpgs and visual novels to replace shitty or mediocre rpgs or some equally dubious non-rpgs.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hexen 2 is a great game, it was the second PC game I majorly got into (first being Descent). Even though it really is a shooter first and foremost, IIRC the RPG-ish elements are reasonably impactful.

RuySan

Augur
Back in the day I was really hyped for the first hexen, but then the game had bullshit design with lots of hidden switches and stuff. Does hexen 2 share the same issue?

Falksi

Arcane
Back in the day I was really hyped for the first hexen, but then the game had bullshit design with lots of hidden switches and stuff. Does hexen 2 share the same issue?

Yes, but I don't find it an issue.

I love the level design, and fact that to progress you actually have to do some serious digging. There is some bullshit, the Egypt level has a bit too much interlacing & 2 bullshit puzzles in particular, but overall I think it's a cracking game.

Even if the puzzles are too much for you, it's worth playing the first 2 levels anyway, which are fairly straight forward.

If they released a modern-day sequel, they'd likely have to keep the puzzles as simple as the ones during the first level.

I bought Hexen 2 on release and played the hell out of it, including multiplayer, which was a ton of fun. I miss games like these. Every once in awhile I go back to it, though I think Heretic has aged better.

Harthwain

Magister
So is Hexen 2 a RPG?
:troll:
Indeed. I don't think many people would call it an RPG in the past. More like an FPS with some RPG elements (classes, experience, etc.). Even more so because it's essentially Quake with a twist. Then again, nowadays anything that has RPG elements is marketed as an RPG, so I guess at this point it becomes merely a matter of perspective.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
As Falksi is a man of clearly refined taste, I thought I would share these. Back in 2008 there were a few open source port engines in the works for Hexen 2, and I was overly hopeful for a MP scene resurgence around the game. So, I created 8 MP maps and submitted them to the Hammer of Thyrion project. One is a version of Doom's e1m1, one is an arena map with traps, and the other six were conversions of Quake's DM1-6 w/ minor tweaks. I was pleasantly surprised to find these maps included in the 'The Ultimate Steam Patch for Hexen 2', including the original readme w/ my old email address on it ( I still own the email, I just don't use it. ). If you have it installed you can check them out by opening the console in-game by pressing tilde key, then typing map mapname and pressing enter.

Map names:
e1m1
cthulhu
dm1
dm2
dm3
dm4
dm5
dm6

Screenshots:

Deja Vu:
9imDRJz.jpg

I made good use of Heretic and Hexen textures:
Z1ZXlgo.jpg

This is an addition to the level - some items, a couple of switches, and a couple of portals:
vmaR1Ye.jpg

There are two items locked in the floor of this room - the grates are opened from elsewhere on the map:
nyNMEwi.jpg

If you dare dip in the lava you're rewarded:
5tZ4oYp.jpg

I'm very fond of the clock:
70aOaiu.jpg

If you dip in the icy water you're rewarded:
4BIheF4.jpg

Every stain-glass window in the map can be broken:
bCHvREA.jpg

There is an elevator in the center of the room to ride up. The bottoms of moving platforms can be seen protruding from the fiery ceiling. You can aim above them and maybe hit some asshole riding one:
uP2asH5.jpg

There is an elevator that can be taken to the control room on the second level:
depzL3B.jpg

The levers trigger emitters that fire on players riding the moving platforms, but the control room is also clearly trapped:
HbMMkvY.jpg

Suitably diabolical looking:
3O8E8Uz.jpg

How can player haz? :
01UiiJf.jpg

I heart Raven's textures:
PkAOZ7s.jpg

Something on a wall somewhere has to be shot to open that:
X1gZxfm.jpg

Emitters can be triggered from the control room to damage / knock players off moving platforms, but buttons can be shot at on the walls that trigger spike traps in the control room.
bIiZCpu.jpg

Meso texture set, and custom LIT:
uz2WNEq.jpg

Only minor map changes were made, mostly to account for the difference in physics between Quake & Hexen 2:
zgaw1fK.jpg

I hear 'Seasons In The Abyss' in my head whenever I see the portal skulls:
tUdt1Mu.jpg

What a great family room this would make:
ZsIB0co.jpg

Egyptian texture set:
K63316C.jpg

Raiding some tombs:
bEukQDK.jpg

MP games are all cotton candy-colored tranny havens anymore. Just look at this glorious dark atmosphere:
uP7gRmp.jpg

I don't remember Indiana Jones dodging lava:
q2jtwbr.jpg

I spent a lot of time tweaking this map:
PpgXr5Z.jpg

That rug really ties the room together:
x0ep4cF.jpg

Fort with an indoor moat. It's all the rage with the nobles this season:
fH6CSMw.jpg

In hindsight I could have added even more furnishings to this map:
qkg5kVR.jpg

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy:
MDFDJMJ.jpg

Warehoused goods:
RHJcwsd.jpg

I added windows and attempted force-perspective scenes w/ trees and grass slopes to make it seem like a real place one might live in:
5fCgZaa.jpg

That looks cozy down there:
nVgwMRT.jpg

Meso w/ custom LIT:
EKfPO4P.jpg

Are you there god? It's me, Margaret:
Gi2k9py.jpg

Spooky:
GKxY0Fu.jpg

I want your skull:
SANq9wA.jpg

Greco-Roman texture set w/ custom LIT. Minor map alterations (a trap was added):
A2Z0j6t.jpg

I like what the new owner has done with the place:
OoqbvTS.jpg

Even has a luxurious indoor bath:
gkbWtNn.jpg

I don't like the look of this, Scoob:
Tg3Q8nv.jpg

Greco-Roman w/ custom LIT:
jG5mG2v.jpg

View to a kill:
NS4Mi0b.jpg

Nice place:
N3gahJS.jpg

It's amazing what a different texture set can do to changing the feel of a map:
WuCGeO6.jpg

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
As Falksi is a man of clearly refined taste, I thought I would share these. Back in 2008 there were a few open source port engines in the works for Hexen 2, and I was overly hopeful for a MP scene resurgence around the game. So, I created 8 MP maps and submitted them to the Hammer of Thyrion project. One is a version of Doom's e1m1, one is an arena map with traps, and the other six were conversions of Quake's DM1-6 w/ minor tweaks. I was pleasantly surprised to find these maps included in the 'The Ultimate Steam Patch for Hexen 2', including the original readme w/ my old email address on it ( I still own the email, I just don't use it. ). If you have it installed you can check them out by opening the console in-game by pressing tilde key, then typing map mapname and pressing enter.

Map names:
e1m1
cthulhu
dm1
dm2
dm3
dm4
dm5
dm6

Screenshots:

Deja Vu:
9imDRJz.jpg

I made good use of Heretic and Hexen textures:
Z1ZXlgo.jpg

This is an addition to the level - some items, a couple of switches, and a couple of portals:
vmaR1Ye.jpg

There are two items locked in the floor of this room - the grates are opened from elsewhere on the map:
nyNMEwi.jpg

If you dare dip in the lava you're rewarded:
5tZ4oYp.jpg

I'm very fond of the clock:
70aOaiu.jpg

If you dip in the icy water you're rewarded:
4BIheF4.jpg

Every stain-glass window in the map can be broken:
bCHvREA.jpg

There is an elevator in the center of the room to ride up. The bottoms of moving platforms can be seen protruding from the fiery ceiling. You can aim above them and maybe hit some asshole riding one:
uP2asH5.jpg

There is an elevator that can be taken to the control room on the second level:
depzL3B.jpg

The levers trigger emitters that fire on players riding the moving platforms, but the control room is also clearly trapped:
HbMMkvY.jpg

Suitably diabolical looking:
3O8E8Uz.jpg

How can player haz? :
01UiiJf.jpg

I heart Raven's textures:
PkAOZ7s.jpg

Something on a wall somewhere has to be shot to open that:
X1gZxfm.jpg

Emitters can be triggered from the control room to damage / knock players off moving platforms, but buttons can be shot at on the walls that trigger spike traps in the control room.
bIiZCpu.jpg

Meso texture set, and custom LIT:
uz2WNEq.jpg

Only minor map changes were made, mostly to account for the difference in physics between Quake & Hexen 2:
zgaw1fK.jpg

I hear 'Seasons In The Abyss' in my head whenever I see the portal skulls:
tUdt1Mu.jpg

What a great family room this would make:
ZsIB0co.jpg

Egyptian texture set:
K63316C.jpg

Raiding some tombs:
bEukQDK.jpg

MP games are all cotton candy-colored tranny havens anymore. Just look at this glorious dark atmosphere:
uP7gRmp.jpg

I don't remember Indiana Jones dodging lava:
q2jtwbr.jpg

I spent a lot of time tweaking this map:
PpgXr5Z.jpg

That rug really ties the room together:
x0ep4cF.jpg

Fort with an indoor moat. It's all the rage with the nobles this season:
fH6CSMw.jpg

In hindsight I could have added even more furnishings to this map:
qkg5kVR.jpg

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy:
MDFDJMJ.jpg

Warehoused goods:
RHJcwsd.jpg

I added windows and attempted force-perspective scenes w/ trees and grass slopes to make it seem like a real place one might live in:
5fCgZaa.jpg

That looks cozy down there:
nVgwMRT.jpg

Meso w/ custom LIT:
EKfPO4P.jpg

Are you there god? It's me, Margaret:
Gi2k9py.jpg

Spooky:
GKxY0Fu.jpg

I want your skull:
SANq9wA.jpg

Greco-Roman texture set w/ custom LIT. Minor map alterations (a trap was added):
A2Z0j6t.jpg

I like what the new owner has done with the place:
OoqbvTS.jpg

Even has a luxurious indoor bath:
gkbWtNn.jpg

I don't like the look of this, Scoob:
Tg3Q8nv.jpg

Greco-Roman w/ custom LIT:
jG5mG2v.jpg

View to a kill:
NS4Mi0b.jpg

Nice place:
N3gahJS.jpg

It's amazing what a different texture set can do to changing the feel of a map:
WuCGeO6.jpg

Nice work, I really like the look of some of those!

I'd love to see a sequel to it. Yeah I accept in today's day & age the puzzles would have to be a bit less convoluted, alongside other tweaks, but the foundation for a real quality 3rd installment is definitely there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom