Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which has better combat? Deadfire or Origins?

Which has better combat?

• Dragon Age: Origins

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Votes: 48 53.3%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
An oldfag who hasn't played those games is worse than a newfag who hasn't. At least the newfag has an excuse.

An oldfag who couldn't get into Fallout back in the day is worse than a newfag who can't, too.

It's pretty embarrassing, especially on the 'Dex which has held Fallout as a yardstick since its inception. Troika's trio have been held high, too. :lol:

Lots of people don't follow my blog; readership is all that matters to Google.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
But the actual existence of these interactions is so limited that the game quickly becomes a rinse-repeat of the same tactic over and over. A bit more depth to that interaction network and the mechanics would birth an interesting system.

Try the RAVAge tactics mod. Only console gamers don't mod their game.

MMO design philosophy where your Rogue is a glass cannon and the mage is a glass cannon and your two-hander is a glass cannon and the shield guy is a tank. This has the effect of pigeonholing your characters into a role that they need not have to play.

Nice over-simplification. It seems you don't know how to build and equip combat units for different roles.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's pretty embarrassing

Whats embarrassing is is your relentless tryhard edgelording, Lilura. Do you have some kind of physical disability IRL causing inferiority complexes or something that compels you to be such an isufferable attention seeker online?

Its okay nudging the newfags a bit but your agenda shows once you start attacking the people who really don't have to prove anything anymore. And the way you do it shows your inane 2hardcore4attitude thats really just decline of the discourse because it favours that fucking childish hardcore posturing of which we already have more than enough, instead of being able to just have honest conversations.

If I remember correctly, you were also dumbfucked once by VoD and your feelers were hurt so much that you fucked off for months? Is that how it was? It certainly would fit in well with the impression I get from most of your posts, that you don't actually want to discuss things, you just want to pose and be Codex famous.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Whats embarrassing is is your relentless tryhard edgelording, Lilura.

Tryhard edgelording? What a tryhard insult. Step up your game, pls.

attacking the people who really don't have to prove anything anymore

Why are you white-knighting the oldfag as if he has never "attacked" me (and vulgarly)? Stong word, that btw. You sound like a redditor.

instead of being able to just have honest conversations

Where is the honesty in this thread? It's filled with lies, deceit and decline; nothing new.

If I remember correctly, you were also dumbfucked once by VoD

Which is written on my blog in the above link. You act like it's a revelation.

you just want to pose and be Codex famous.

srsly, this is what you come up with? Sad form, son. I blush for you.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay.

Now, would you care to answer my questions, do you have some kind of physical or psychological disability? I'd like to know cause I like to psychoanalyze the posters I don't like and your delusions of grandeur must come from somewhere. Please tell, you can trust me.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
An oldfag who hasn't played those games is worse than a newfag who hasn't. At least the newfag has an excuse.

An oldfag who couldn't get into Fallout back in the day is worse than a newfag who can't, too.

It's pretty embarrassing, especially on the 'Dex which has held Fallout as a yardstick since its inception. Troika's trio have been held high, too. :lol:

Lots of people don't follow my blog; readership is all that matters to Google.

Well, I have my own opinion of games.
If that causes butthurt, so be it.

And I don't post on the Codex because I worship the holy trio and Fallout. I post here because it's virtually uncensored and free from moderator meddling. Which is again why I can't be bothered with your blog.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
octavius is worth ten of Lilura in terms of valuable contributions to this site, if you care at all about RPGs released before 1997.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
octavius is worth ten of Lilura in terms of valuable contributions to this site, if you care at all about RPGs released before 1997.

Which almost no one does, anymore. And for good reason: Renaissance RPGs such as Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Jagged Alliance 2 left their Golden Age "equivalents" in the dust.

cRPG Addict is basically the only notable blogger for the Golden Age. And just by covering three Renaissance engines, my readership is already at the halfway mark of his. Also, he has been seriously blogging for eight years; me, only for two.

Your era is all but dead and buried, but the Renaissance era powers on 20 years later due to its inarguable GOATs and inexhaustible modability.

Do you know how big the Infinity Engine remains? It's huge.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
cRPG Addict is basically the only notable blogger for the Golden Age. And just by covering three Renaissance engines, my readership is already at the halfway mark of his.
Your numbers would be even higher if you covered Bethesda games.
Your era is all but dead and buried, but the Renaissance era powers on 20 years later due to its inarguable GOATs and inexhaustible modability.
It's funny, I never claimed that the Golden Age was better than the Renaissance. My point is that octavius and other monocled posters frequently provide interesting thoughts on RPGs and RPG design, and point me to underrated and forgotten games, while you post nothing but drivel.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Which almost no one does, anymore. And for good reason: Renaissance RPGs such as Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Jagged Alliance 2 left their Golden Age "equivalents" in the dust.

cRPG Addict is basically the only notable blogger for the Golden Age. And just by covering three Renaissance engines, my readership is already at the halfway mark of his. Also, he has been seriously blogging for eight years; me, only for two.

Do you know how big the Infinity Engine remains? It's huge.
:lol::lol::lol: It is amusing that your debate is in a thread about PoE VS DragonAge,by people that see IE games as shit and don't know even what the golder era is. It seems that your renaissance era is at an end and soon to be forgotten. Oh well it is the era of popamole rpgs,the era of Progress :lol:.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Commentary for Golden Age RPGs is also in more demand because not many people actually want to play the games (they find them difficult to set up, of insufferably low resolution, and lacking in functional UIs and controls).

Most people would rather just look at screencaps and read historical info, which makes clunky old RPGs seem less uninteresting than they are.

:lol::lol::lol: It is amusing that your debate is in a thread about PoE VS DragonAge,by people that see IE games as shit and don't know even what the golder era is. It seems that your renaissance era is at an end and soon to be forgotten. Oh well it is the era of popamole rpgs,the era of Progress :lol:.

There is Core Renaissance and then there is Extended, before the advent of Kickstarter. I cover up to Warband (and Dragon Age: Origins predates Warband).

Also, I think there is only one dick in this thread who claims to dislike IE (but secretly loves it).

Squid

Arbiter
He only recently played Fallout, Fallout 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 for the first time
So if someone recently played a game that's old, you're going to think less of their opinion on it?
I believe that every medium has a canon. If you treat the medium seriously you know the canon. You may don't like everything there, but you know it.
I agree with this. No one has to love Fallout to have a valid opinion on games or even the game but I think a lot of people are going to tell you to go truly experience the game and at least beat the end of the game (you can beat this game fairly quickly compared to most games).
ItsChon imagine if people came after one of your top 3 GOATs and bashed it after only playing through some starting area(s).

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Most people would rather just look at screencaps and read historical info, which makes clunky old RPGs seem less uninteresting than they are.
Out of curiosity, are there any pre-Fallout RPGs you think are worth playing? Which ones have you tried?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
So if someone recently played a game that's old, you're going to think less of their opinion on it?

But of course.

(you can beat this game fairly quickly compared to most games

Especially if you read a walkthrough (like Joined: 2018s such as yourself do).

Out of curiosity, are there any pre-Fallout RPGs you think are worth playing? Which ones have you tried?

I am not answerable to an impudent newfag such as you, but more than Octavius (he can't even set up WinUAE).

Squid

Arbiter
Lol. Well, I guess my appreciation for the game (imo it's the best Fallout and one of my top games of all time) despite not playing it in the 90s and my join date on a forum really dictates how I should be taken? So my birthday and my join date matter more than what I say and how I say it? Even if I delivered arguments in a well thought out, respectful way with strong arguments and no logical fallacies?
You really seem like the person people should have logical debates with.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Nah, it would go over your head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom