Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which is the best attribute in Fallout New Vegas?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Perception doesn't actually affect accuracy, that's cut feature that they must have forgotten to take out of the creation screen. Which is why perception is shit.

Charisma is no where near the worst for the playstyle it's meant to support, Companions are already as strong as you, 50% damage and DT is something that the pc could never achieve in game, so essentially companions become a stronger version of a regular pc, and there's two of the fuckers. (add that shit on top of things like Cass's damage perk, Veronica's DT, or Raul's cowboy perk and they fuck shit up, letting the diplomat do shit that he otherwise couldn't do.)

Or I can just shoot everything to death with GRX Implant Bullet-Dodge-Mode LAER drug filled berserk rampage.

Can Boone take out the Giant Roboscorpion in under 30 seconds? Nope because he's not portable to the DLCs.

Charisma is shit.

Can Boone take out the Giant Roboscorpion in under 30 seconds?
10 seconds is possible I'd imagine, without having to use drugs or anything else of the sort. Probably less for Cass or Raul. And again, two companion, you get two in the base game.
Nope because he's not portable to the DLCs.
Luckily every DLC besides OWB has companions.
Which I always thought was shit, until then the stats were very well balanced, fuck you Avellone.

The point is that high CHA makes it possible to play the game without having to shoot a single bullet. Which is why I said it was good for a diplomat playstyle. You bring up a good point that the shitty DLC break the attribute, mostly with the retarded Fallout 3 style level cap raises and not being able to bring companions in. Which is why I, and other people who don't play on xbawks use the jsawyer.esp. Lead dev knew it was shit, kept it in to appeal to the bethtards.

Perception is shit, it just happens to be tied to better criticals. The attribute itself is crap and it's kinda sad that Obsidian never bothered to balance it.

IIRC Robo-scorpion has about 2000(Maybe a little more hp) and about 15 DT, of course OWB is all level scaled shit, but never the last DLC anyone does. Something like Auto rifle would break through most DT, maybe avenger too depending on ammo, +50% Damage, and an extra 15% if Cass, Probably about 200+ dps with armor having damage, 10 seconds.

Not that it matters, since Robo-scorpion can just be shut off for a diplomat character. And if we were really going to judge how effective it would be to have the companions there in OWB you'd also have to take into account Ed-E's damage, 262 dps 30 dmg per shot, -2 dt, high crit rate, before +50% damage from CHA. As far as I know companions aren't affected by difficulty so that won't change on very hard. If anything companions aren't allowed in OWB because it would be easy to farm exp by just leading companions into never ending spawns, DT bonus from CHA to keep them safe.

In non jsawyer game you could still get pretty much all of the uber damage perks along with 10 cha, so you'd still be doing your same output, with 5-700 extra DPS depending on DT of enemy. Which I guess brings us to the point that vanilla NV is too fucking easy for how OP you can become.

Besides 6-700 extra dps, distractions to enemies, and perks,(Raul's perk being the best by far.) what's funny is that having high CHA makes perception even more worthless. Since Ed-E basically gives you 10 perception's worth of vision. Besides that they can carry 300lbs of equipment each, meaning you don't need to waste points on uber high str.

I would prefer to hear the reasons NOT to have companions. Yeah the sneaking sniper will complain that they can get you caught, but that's what the wait function is for, they still have your equipment, still give you your perks, and if your sneak attempt fails you lead the enemies into an ambush.(Besides, Lily boosts sneak damage.)

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I still need to play the DLCs besides Dad Money
Honest Hearts is worth a playthough, though it's a tad bit underwhelming. OWB's is really good, but the Fallout 2-esque LOL SO RANDUMB humor has justifiably put alot of people off from it. I've never actually completed Lonesome Road (the one playthrough where I was just getting on to it was cut short when my laptop was stolen).

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
'Underwhelming' is a fit description for Honest Hearts. They made a pretty nice looking environment to explore but forgot to fill it with content. While doing the mission to collect the supplies Joshua wanted for their trip I remember thinking "Okay, this is obviously just to get me acquainted with the area, afterward I'm sure I'll start getting interesting quests." but nope.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They're all good at different things.

Honest Hearts and Old World Blues have good exploration, Dead Money has good gameplay mechanics, Lonesome Road has good... combat, I guess? I didn't really like Lonesome Road, to be honest. It's just a linear combat fest, the worst thing to do with that engine.

OWB is al'right, I mainly like it for the characters, exploration is okay, but the trash combat is trashier even than Fallout 3.

Level scaling is turned up to 11, and random spawns of the same shit, especially boring to fight robo-scorpions, can get annoying. Although not considered difficult it quickly becomes the most difficult because of the tedious combat, expect to have no ammo very fast and most of your equipment broken, running around with crippled limbs as more generic spawns pick away at your health. And did I mention level scaling? Yeah, if you go there later, lvl 30+, things like lobotomites will all be armed with the arsenal you'd find on a veteran ranger.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Agree 100%. The endless HP bloated enemies really hurt that DLC's enjoyment factor. Especially if you play a roguish sneaker/sniper, which is what I tend to play.

Xeon

Augur
OWB is kinda of a cake walk if you play a rogue with the perk to disable robots. Also there is a stealth armor that talks I think, I kinda liked that for a little bit. The best thing is probably the base since you can travel there at anytime outdoor, pretty good if you use kinda of a realistic hardcore setting in Project Nevada since it disables quick travel.

Honest Hearts I hated it, I tried to play it a few times but always quit right after meeting the burned man. Dead Money was great, man I wish if I didn't have to kill Dean. Never played Lonesome Road, It kinda seems to be a DLC for after the main quest is done so I didn't feel like doing it.

Perception doesn't actually affect accuracy, that's cut feature that they must have forgotten to take out of the creation screen. Which is why perception is shit.
How can they cut one of the SPECIAL attribute without everyone freaking out.

Attributes I think kinda increase your skills a little bit and enable you to get perks, kinda of like in Fallout 1 and 2 IIRC. The only thing that affects accuracy in VATs I assume is skill I think. Also Perception helps you see enemies earlier than the when you have low perception, it kinda gets nulled if you get ED-E tho because of his antenna or something.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You don't actually have to kill Dean Domino, you just have to be *extremely* careful in your dialogue choices when talking with him. Pick any dialogue option that even remotely insults his ego (i.e. anything that indicates that you're more intelligent than him) and he'll turn against you.

Xeon

Augur
My bad, I thought you meant cut out the entire Perception attribute, not the false info. Sorry!

Thanks, Yes plz!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Im thinking of replaying Vegas one day with a character that doesn't fight at all if possible. Does the game support this? How would you go about it?
Just another testimonial that it is indeed more than possible. Beginning to end never pressing the attack button, AND I didn't use companions to do my killing for me either. (I admit I did have a companion or two for a little while until I figured out that there's no way to stop their constant homicidal rampages.) Completed every major and minor quest I found, though I may have missed some. (This was before any DLC.) Sneaking and Speech, and lots of running away. It may also bear mentioning that I didn't try to game a "build"; I just made up the character concept and picked the stats that seemed to fit, and it worked. It also bears mentioning that the game isn't really designed to support this playstyle and have it be fun, but I enjoyed the challenge despite the repetitiveness of constant sneaking/running.

Deleted member 7219

So I'm on my annual playthrough of New Vegas right now. Sided with Caesar's Legion this time, so that locks me out of a lot of the NCR quests which I usually do for the XP. I also picked the perk which gives you more skill points, at the expense of -10% XP. I took this because I remember on previous playthroughs, I hit the level cap with a lot of the game still left to play, but now I am at level 14 and struggling to find things to do before I go off and do the DLC and the endgame. I've done a lot and I'm not even at lv 20 which is slightly concerning. I usually wait until I'm lv 25-30 before I go off and start the DLCs.

Also decided to go with hardcore mode and JSawyer, things are a lot more tough which makes the combat much more interesting.

In terms of attributes, I go for INT of 8 or 9 to start with and then I get the implant ASAP. I tend to leave STR low at the start but then I use the Intensive Training perk to boost it up to 6, then the implant to boost it up to 7 because otherwise, you tend to hit the weight limit pretty easily - especially with all the food and ammo you have to carry around with you. END was pretty much useless in the normal game, but with hardcore & JSawyer I find it has suddenly become much more valuable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom