Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which programming language did you choose and why?

ds

Cipher
Patron
How can you have holy wars if you do not devote yourself to one faction. Using multiple languages? Burn the heretic!

Tbh, languages don't matter that much, most programming skills/concepts are cross language (at least among common OOP type languages), but programming in Python is like having sex while programming in C++/C# is like getting fucked by a bear.

behold_a_man

Educated
3. Can you name another high-level language without multi line lambdas?
I know it's a prehistoric post, but multi-line lambdas were always possible:
Python:
x = lambda: [1,
        2]
y = lambda: 0 or \
z = lambda x, y, \
        s: x+y+s
print(x(), y(), z(1, 2, 3))
Result:
Code:
[1, 2] 7 6
Which is a result of this:
https://docs.python.org/3.0/reference/lexical_analysis.html#explicit-line-joining
(Note, that it was already present in 2008).
What you can't have is having multiple expressions within lambda's body.

Also, are those new Python syntax features used really often (3.10+: type soft keyword, pattern matching, and exception groups)? I never used them, I never saw them in production, I don't see many uses for them, and I don't think their use cases justify extending the language reference by that much. I've always felt the language should converge at some point (i.e., the number of changes to the core of the language should be smaller and smaller every year; if anything, libraries should change). If not, it'll become as messy as C++ - which is something Stroustrup pointed out himself in 'Remember the Vasa!' essay - and shall probably fade into obscurity.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Meh, all these code monkeys making games in C/C++, and now in C# (Unity), meanwhile the Gigachad coded a 2.5 billion game in Java (Minecraft, supposedly a very slow language)
Then compare Minecraft Java's draw distance vs Minecraft C++'s draw distance vs Minecraft clones' draw distance...

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Meh, all these code monkeys making games in C/C++, and now in C# (Unity), meanwhile the Gigachad coded a 2.5 billion game in Java (Minecraft, supposedly a very slow language)
Then compare Minecraft Java's draw distance vs Minecraft C++'s draw distance vs Minecraft clones' draw distance...
It's less C++ and more having an army of MS engineers with perfect insight.

You are missing the point though. The gigachad used a higher level language (Java) to make something awesome quickly. Then of course the code monkeys can come in and optimize it, but by then the thing is already made. The same patterns shows up all over, most of the largest, well known websites/webapps were rapidly developed in Python, and then once they are a thing and bringing in mountains of gold, teams of later programmers re-code parts or the entire thing in faster lower level languages. But the higher level language allows a small team/in some cases individual to quickly develop a functional application and get the whole ball rolling.

If Microsoft ever hired an engineer with perfect insight, the same exact moment a giant black hole would appear in their Redmond headquarters and suck the entire company in, in order to avoid ruining the universe with an unsolvable paradox.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Okay, it was an exaggeration, but you know what I meant. They knew what the engine was meant to do and where the pitfall were.

Eisen

Learned
Mojang should've ditched Java for C++ and put an scripting language for mods, whatever

baboogy

Literate

You are missing the point though. The gigachad used a higher level language (Java) to make something awesome quickly. Then of course the code monkeys can come in and optimize it, but by then the thing is already made. The same patterns shows up all over, most of the largest, well known websites/webapps were rapidly developed in Python, and then once they are a thing and bringing in mountains of gold, teams of later programmers re-code parts or the entire thing in faster lower level languages. But the higher level language allows a small team/in some cases individual to quickly develop a functional application and get the whole ball rolling.

Honestly, I would tend to agree. If I think about it, it's rare for me to dislike a game solely off how well it runs, how polished, or janky, etc. it is, as long as the core gameplay is unique and interesting. I'm far more likely to put up with a slew of bugs and problems to play something fun than try to push through boring gameplay in an otherwise perfectly polished game.

Probably, a lot of people trying to hyperfocus on making an impressive feat of engineering in their game lose sight of the fact that the average consumer is probably not going to care about your clever solutions, or engine/language of choice, as long as the game is playable and has mechanics they like.

That's not to say people shouldn't think about these things when writing software. Obviously it's better if a program does what it needs to do well AND efficiently but the point is that memory/processing power is so cheap nowadays that people shouldn't feel like they need to practice until they are godlike programmers on the level of Carmack to just sit down and make something that works.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Mojang should've ditched Java for C++ and put an scripting language for mods, whatever
Can't blame anyone for avoiding C++98. It was the reason why languages like D, C# or Java exist in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom