Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Which RPG Should I Play Next #4: Episode 1

Which one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaekl

Educated
Patron
The others aren't RPG, at least the 90% of them.

anti-troll-zone-sign-by-qwert12345yuiop67890-d97ladj.png

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Caves of Lore - I haven't actually had fun in an RPG for a while until I played it. Amazing exploration, turnbased/party based and all made by 1 guy part time.

VtmB - I don't like this game nearly as much as the Codex seems to, that placing on the top 101 rpgs is insane to me, but worth a play. Even if I'm not a huge fan, I'm still replaying it right now.

Planet Alcatraz - beautiful rus jank, need I say more?

Last edited:

behold_a_man

Educated
My wild guess is that if you didn't like Age of Decadence, you won't like Dungeon Rats. It's pretty much completely linear (you can make some choices to include companions based on your charisma, though), and it had some questionable decisions. The game is, for example, much simpler than Underrail; yet having a very narrow, seemingly normal specialization (solo dagger + dodge with lots of alchemy and some crafting) screwed my character completely; to make matters worse, the game became nigh impossible at the very end rather than at Depot A.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
play Caves of Lore jaekl its a personal guarantee. support a 1-man team who actually created some fun in crpg community and isn't some lonely old retard like the digusting weeb pigs on this forum

Anyone who places ATOM RPG above KoTC 1 and Bloodlines can safely be ignored. Click those names on the poll and remember them for future reference.
I had the same feeling playing Bloodlines as I did playing Bully. Don't put that game on a pedestal. It's great atmosphere but it feels more like playing an action adventure than it does an RPG.

agris

Arcane
Patron
My wild guess is that if you didn't like Age of Decadence, you won't like Dungeon Rats. It's pretty much completely linear (you can make some choices to include companions based on your charisma, though), and it had some questionable decisions. The game is, for example, much simpler than Underrail; yet having a very narrow, seemingly normal specialization (solo dagger + dodge with lots of alchemy and some crafting) screwed my character completely; to make matters worse, the game became nigh impossible at the very end rather than at Depot A.
You play a role: prisoner trying to escape from a pit with a single entrance/exit.

The maps are linear but the character building is non-linear and combat encounters are sublime. There’s also secrets related to your build choices that are decidedly old school, making a second playthrough feel very natural if you enjoyed it the first time.

As to your build, sorry it was frustrating. Did you struggle for most of the game only to hit a wall? It is old school in the sense that if your build sucks the experience is gonna suck, and savescumming will only get you so far

Edit: the reason I ask is that DR is quite different from AoD. The common AoD complaints of teleporting and CYOA gameplay don’t really apply, as DR falls much more on the turn based tactics side of the cRPG spectrum.

behold_a_man

Educated
As to your build, sorry it was frustrating. Did you struggle for most of the game only to hit a wall? It is old school in the sense that if your build sucks the experience is gonna suck, and savescumming will only get you so far
The game wasn't so hard until I had to fight the robots by the very end; I couldn't get to the final(?) fight with any resources. Developing my character based on endgame enemies is crazy. What was I supposed to do? Metagame beforehand?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The game wasn't so hard until I had to fight the robots by the very end; I couldn't get to the final(?) fight with any resources. Developing my character based on endgame enemies is crazy. What was I supposed to do? Metagame beforehand?
You played solo. Yeah, you were supposed to metagame.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You played solo. Yeah, you were supposed to metagame.
Ah I missed this reading comp check. Solo is definitely a second playthrough thing, when you know the meta

Falksi

Arcane
Bloodlines or, baring in mind your comments on Summoner, Summoner 2.

Honestly, Summoner 2 was fucking awesome. Still a lot of jank, still got that awkward PS2 era feel to it, far too easy with some summons, but fuckinghell the rest of it rocks hard. The characters, the world, the story, the combat, even the ending is fucking mint. Don't forget this one.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Anyone who places ATOM RPG above KoTC 1 and Bloodlines can safely be ignored. Click those names on the poll and remember them for future reference.
I had the same feeling playing Bloodlines as I did playing Bully. Don't put that game on a pedestal. It's great atmosphere but it feels more like playing an action adventure than it does an RPG.
I always thought it was the balance between RPG and action adventure that makes the game so awesome and memorable.
The atmosphere, the soundtrack the voice acting, all those elements blending seamlessly.
I guess you might call it one of the first "modern rpgs" for better or worse.

Lemming42

Arcane
Summoner 2 is amazing, though I'm speaking from memory since it's been a long time since I played it. The first Summoner is a decent enough game but Summoner 2 is just captivating. Maia is also a way better protagonist than Joseph, since she's everything Joseph wasn't (funny, self-assured, not a massive loser, able to speak in full sentences and not just repeat the last thing someone said with a question mark, etc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom