Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPGs can be played with a fight stick?

ind33d

Educated
Computer mice were buried underground by the Devil to make us doubt God's word.

I'm convinced that if arcade sticks had remained the default input device, gaming would have adapted to the limitations and went in a much better direction.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Games would have been better if they only used a keyboard
I agree with that to some extent, for example I mostly dislike the kind of combat which were introduced with pointing & clicking, a mouse can possibly help to target enemies but I don't want RTS combat and prefer every game to use turn-based combat either on a grid or abstracted. Controlling my melee dudes on a grid with the keypad until they bump onto enemies is perfect, and so is pressing a bunch of keyboard shorcuts if combat is abstracted.

Movement on a grid as fast as I press a button is perfect, I don't need and generally don't want seamless movement.

I don't like all the keyboard based controls (I mean I don't even think Wizardry controls are that pleasant in the end but maybe that's more because of all the things you've got to do in town when reloading and such rather than the actual controls) yet there are some I totally love (Might & Magic 2 controls are a joy to me). Games with possible full keyboard controls yet supported mouse often don't work as well with full keyboard as the ones which don't support a mouse because compromises were made so you end up play the game with the mouse yet maybe it could have been better with full keyboard, in general we can't really know.

I can certainly enjoy some pointing & clicking mechanics in RPGs yet I could possibly leave without that, I'm not certain.

I don't agree about controllers though, I want my numbers to select the 8 characters in my party and many other shortcuts.

That said for some reasons Buck Rogers : Countdown to Doomsday and Buck Rogers : Matrix Cubed are great games I played with a controller, it's not perfect (and neither are the other kinds of control) but it works, so you can take a look at these.

Falksi

Arcane
The biggest crime and admittance of gaming journalistic retardedness, is when they make these "Greatest Games Evar!" lists and don't include any arcade games, maybe other than Mario based stuff.

Journos will tell you stuff like Final Fantasy 7 and Super Mario 64 influenced gaming massively, but I didn't see either of them draw crowds of hundreds of people fighting over each other to play them every week. Whereas I did Afterburner, Double Dragon, Space Harrier, Street Fighter 2, Daytona etc. etc.

All of them. Then again, you can play Half Life with an Atari 2600 controller.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom