Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are people dumb enough to preorder when unsure about it?

Krash

Arcane
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:

Yeah, they're among the few who give genuine support after release in the form of serious patching, though I'd like their games to be less broken to begin with.

Repressed Homosexual
Most of the time there's a slight pre-order discount.

Waiting for games to get heavily discounted isn't all that good of an idea because then you just hoard them and they're rarely so inciting when they're old.

People buy games to partake in the culture just as much as to have fun. It's often not the same when you play long after the dust has settled.

Same reason people go see a movie in a crowded first day of exhibition instead of waiting a week or so - because it's cool to play a game / watch a movie when it still has the new car smell. You tend to be less critical of flaws, obvious as they may be. If I'm especially hyped about a game (last time this happened was with Ocarina of Time, though :lol:), I just buy it one or two weeks after its out.

Also some people are afraid that every copy will be bought and they will be "left out" until more are produced (which I think is unlikely unless you live in Japan and a new Dragon Quest is coming out, or few copiess were made to artificially create that situation, for hype purposes).

Lastly, there's the fact that all your friends will be talking about it (I'd say "herd mentality" but people usually hear that as "I HAVE NO FRIENDS")

DakaSha

Arcane
Krash said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:

Yeah, they're among the few who give genuine support after release in the form of serious patching, though I'd like their games to be less broken to begin with.

Plenty of indie devs give much better support. And a couple of the games are even amazing.
Of course according to a very revered member here indie games are the largest contributors to the :decline:

zool

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
I don't even buy games new at all now, pretty much everything is £10 within a year of release. Buying before that is just terminally stupid.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
z o o l said:
Admiral jimbob said:
I don't even buy games new at all now, pretty much everything is £10 within a year of release. Buying before that is just terminally stupid.
This. Unless it's something really good.

I got talked by the codex into pre-ordering Twitcher 2, nevar again.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
MapMan said:
Ask kingcomrade.
Pre-ordering RO2 gave me access to the beta, where I could test if I liked the game or not. Steam only refunds pre-orders. If I had no pre-ordered, I would not have been able to test whether I liked the game or not. After the release date, there would be no way to test whether I liked the game or not unless someone set up private servers or something. Pre-ordering RO2 was the best course of action, you're a herp derp. I got my pre-order money back.

TripJack

Hedonist
so who wants to piss their money away

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom