Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do Humans always suck as an RPG race?

Lt Broccoli

Educated
And that kinda sucks doesn't it? It makes sense. We are humans. If we were transported to a Standard Fantasy World® we'd marvel at the stoutness of the dwarves, grace of the elves, magic of the tieflings, and so on. We'd also be prime candidates for seeking magical power in the first place since we are born with none of it. Therefore all the stories about how humans are go-getters. Even though settings like Golarion and Forgotten Realms read more like homo sapiens are just outbreeding everyone the way they outbred the neanderthals.
Human reproduction rate is falling at an alarming rate. Most of our country's populations will likely halve by 2100.

I have little doubt that RPGs written in this future time will show humans as the opposite how we portray them now - living in a dying emptying world both in reality and reflected in our fictions.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The extra feat is pure
codex_copium.png
since every race gets.
gets what? prof with rapiers or whatever?
Meanwhile my blackguard/cleric/bard needs all the feats I can get
Humans in KotC2 get 2 additional feats. If you play on hardest difficulty (and even if not) feats are a very valuable commodity. Humans are - by far in my opinion - best race for most classes. Also they have their special skill (diplomacy iirc) just as any other race.

kinzadza

Scholar
In pathfinder, humans can take an alternate racial trait instead of an extra feat, gaining another +2 bonus on any ability score. That means humans can have +2/+2 on any two ability scores, without any penalties. Far better than most other races.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
only humans can be paladins, every other race is evil.
I could also accept a dwarf paladin. But other than that, no. Not only other races are evil but they also don't have the stamina or looks to wear badass heavy armours which are absolutely necessary for paladins. Not having one is like being a wizard without a pointy hat - preposterous.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
only humans can be paladins, every other race is evil.
I could also accept a dwarf paladin. But other than that, no. Not only other races are evil but they also don't have the stamina or looks to wear badass heavy armours which are absolutely necessary for paladins. Not having one is like being a wizard without a pointy hat - preposterous.
Dwarf paladin, yeah, I can dig it. For Moradin and justice and truth.
Elf and half-elf paladins no way.
The only awesome paladin of elven heritage is Aribeth "Pussycat" de Tylmarande.

Norfleet

Come to think of it, I don't recall human heaven having dwarves and elves in it stinking up the joint.
That's because dwarves return to the stone (so humans do not see them in their heaven, which is not full of stone) and elves are soulless fey creatures that simply dissolve into the ether on death. That is why back in First Edition, they couldn't be raised or resurrected.

AD&D 1E Raise Dead said:
When the cleric casts a raise dead spell, he or she can restore life to a dwarf, gnome, half-elf, halfling, or human.
NOTICE WHO IS NOT INCLUDED.

AD&D 1E Resurrection said:
See raise dead for limitations on what persons can be raised.
Elves are SOULLESS ABOMINATIONS.

Norfleet

I have little doubt that RPGs written in this future time will show humans as the opposite how we portray them now - living in a dying emptying world both in reality and reflected in our fictions.
RPGs won't be written in the future because there won't be humans to write them.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Come to think of it, I don't recall human heaven having dwarves and elves in it stinking up the joint.
That's because dwarves return to the stone (so humans do not see them in their heaven, which is not full of stone) and elves are soulless fey creatures that simply dissolve into the ether on death. That is why back in First Edition, they couldn't be raised or resurrected.

AD&D 1E Raise Dead said:
When the cleric casts a raise dead spell, he or she can restore life to a dwarf, gnome, half-elf, halfling, or human.

Orcs too.

PapaPetro

AD&D 1E Raise Dead said:

Finding the reasoning behind old D&D rules is an adventure in itself.
This metaphysical take originally came from Tolkien who also said Dwarves go back into the Earth and Elves go to the Halls of Mondos.
Only Men get to walk with Eru Illuvitar in Heaven.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
meh, isnt being paladin just about zealotry anyway? Its just that elf zealot sounds like someone hugging trees. Perhaps sneaks around human farmlands at night and spreads the seeds for new forests to grow, only for humans to cut them down and ultimately cry in the corner.

yeah... I can see why elf paladins wouldnt be a thing.

or halflings for that matter. You see mazzy and just laugh.

Radiane

Cipher
When they make dwarven womyn they have to make them extra beardy cause that's how it was intended!

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
92aabd6af0e10124a972e011e6cce9af.jpg

The only awesome paladin of elven heritage, Aribeth "Pussycat" de Tylmarande.

Anyway, humans are the best paladins, bar none.
I could accept dwarven paladins, but not paladins of other races.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
And that kinda sucks doesn't it? It makes sense. We are humans. If we were transported to a Standard Fantasy World® we'd marvel at the stoutness of the dwarves, grace of the elves, magic of the tieflings, and so on. We'd also be prime candidates for seeking magical power in the first place since we are born with none of it. Therefore all the stories about how humans are go-getters. Even though settings like Golarion and Forgotten Realms read more like homo sapiens are just outbreeding everyone the way they outbred the neanderthals.
Human reproduction rate is falling at an alarming rate. Most of our country's populations will likely halve by 2100.

Slightly off-topic:

Hate to say it, but most of the world's populations should've never have gotten that large in the first place especially in the Third World.

As it is, there are already not enough jobs for all the people out there who want one; lots of people out there literally just sucking up limited resources. This is only going to get worse with automation/AI in the future.

Of course, the debt-based fiat monetary system demands more people to buy MOAR stuff to keep the economic Ponzi scheme from completely collapsing.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The human is the Ideal Form in this scenario, the virtual or conceptual simulacrum of which is the mechanical formulation of Protagoras most famous aphorism. Humans are subordinate to nature, not the other way around. Feeling this unconsciously to be so, our fantasy reflects it appropriately. In comparison to nature, that is, not to other known carbon-based lifeforms. Yet animals also play games, even if of only a much cruder sort absent formalized imposition of rules the impetus to victory is nevertheless ubiquitous.

We think we are the masters of nature (well, some of us do anyway), but I suspect that we are being manipulated by nature to bring its chthonic cognizance out through the veil of matter. Technology is the reshaping of nature, I think to bring into existence an unknown but sensed "something" the malevolent adumbrations of which thrum at the very heart of being itself, what I call the animate God, the demiurge; the great attractor at the end of time is the exteriorizing of the Anima Mundi. Our role in the affair of casting the mind of animate God into matter is crucial but not one of willed autonomy. The recalcitrant and the prudent stand aghast, frozen with fear as the primal will (what rough beast) slouches nearer and nearer towards Bethlehem to be born.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Only humans love oral..... the other races shun it. Thus the sucking.... (misnomer it is except for the breast fetish crowd).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom