Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Am I gay?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
  • Large open world
  • Turn-based combat
  • Branching quests and meaningful C&C
  • Skill check heavy dialogue
  • Nice story and worldbuilding
  • Good visuals and music
  • Relatively polished and bug free
  • 40 hours of content

Age of Decadence, Underrail, and Kingmaker have threads with over 500 pages. How the hell does this gloriously inclined CRPG, which has been out for over a year, only have an 18 page thread? It's criminal!

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I didn't think it was that interesting honestly. I beat it but don't really remember anything about it because it was so forgettable. The devs should put more effort into writing and consider moving to a fantasy-based setting that they have more creative control over compared to chaining themselves to a semi-historical setting.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • Large open world
  • Turn-based combat
  • Good visuals and music
  • 40 hours of content

Age of Decadence, Underrail, and Kingmaker have threads with over 500 pages. How the hell does this gloriously inclined CRPG, which has been out for over a year, only have an 18 page thread? It's criminal!

Well, as for why those games are popular:

(a) the Codex has a large Slavic population that war ships Eastern European releases

(b) the first two games are spiritual successors to the Fallout lineage of game design (Codex primally being a Fallout/Troika fan site)

(c) Kingmaker is the first real Baldur's Gate II successor, Pillars of Eternity is more of a re imagining -- Baldur's Gate 2 was a mega popular game. Also a faithful interpretation of Pathfinder, so it has some often underestimated PnP/brand name cred.

As for why Expedtions (including the first one) isn't popular:

(a) there aren't that many Danes here

(b) it's not a clear successor to any beloved classics, although Vikings did import some design sensibilities from outside lineages, Baldur's Gate especially

(c) despite what people constantly say, most people aren't interested in a grounded historical setting as opposed to a fantasy or sci fi one -- the ones who are are the ones who follow Expeditions threads

Last edited:

Morkar Left

Yeah I find vikings in general rather boring as a setting. A Rome setting or Conquistadors 2 with the suff from Vikings would actually have done it for me. I'm not completely against the game and would play it and enjoy but there are still a lot of others rpgs that come before.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Those wooden longhouses and boats they have, the specific weapon and armor designs, etc. Everything that has to do with their usual stereotype.

I don't know much about Danish culture, but their depiction seems believable and historically accurate. Most of the game takes place in Northumbria and Scotland anyways.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Yeah I find vikings in general rather boring as a setting. A Rome setting or Conquistadors 2 with the suff from Vikings would actually have done it for me. I'm not completely against the game and would play it and enjoy but there are still a lot of others rpgs that come before.
I would dig a Vikings in the Med setting - leads to some interesting conflicts.

Anyway - even then, combat was just okay, character building was just okay. It was a very "okay" game.

Durian Eater

Learned
Can only speak for myself, but:
  • It looked like the devs were too lazy to shill their game on forums and social media, or they just did a poor job of it. I didn't hear anything about it until a long time after it was released.
  • Expeditions Conquistador was just OK, and had some pozzed elements. If you're going to be kinda-historical-but-not, just make a fantasy game.
  • Game has never dropped below $15 during Steam sales, and that's higher than my 'take a chance on an indie game' threshold.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The combat was incredibly monotonous on release. After the first few hours every fight played out the same. Sounds like they’ve patched in more variety.

But the main reason it didn’t get much attention here is that Expeditions had its own subforum that was segregated from GRPG.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
And Underrail has a huge thread because a) the Dev posted here regularly (and solicited Codex feedback + actually fucking listened to it), and b) it's the greatest RPG ever made. So yeah.

Suck my dick Fallout nerds. Underrail rules all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Observation: It's not just Expeditions: Viking. Many decent RPGs don't get the attention they deserve on the Codex. What most of them have in common, I think, is that they're niche experiences instead of "full-scale" isometric RPGs. Blobbers, mission-based tactical combat RPGs, stuff like that.

What makes Viking unique is that it appears to be a classical full-scale RPG, yet it suffered a similar lack of attention. The logical conclusion is that the game was somehow perceived as not being full-scale.

Last edited:

Bocian

Arcane
Am I gay?
He doesn't seem to be the happiest person on this forum.

But the main reason it didn’t get much attention here is that Expeditions had its own subforum that was segregated from GRPG.
Separated subforums were plainly visible on the main page. Now they're hidden in general RPG and barely visible with current layout. At least it's a definite downgrade from what it was.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
  • Large open world
  • Turn-based combat
  • Good visuals and music
  • 40 hours of content

(a) the Codex has a large Slavic population that war ships Eastern European releases

(b) the first two games are spiritual successors to the Fallout lineage of game design (Codex primally being a Fallout/Troika fan site)

(c) Kingmaker is the first real Baldur's Gate II successor, Pillars of Eternity is more of a re imagining -- Baldur's Gate 2 was a mega popular game. Also a faithful interpretation of Pathfinder, so it has some often underestimated PnP/brand name cred.

(b) it's not a clear successor to any beloved classics, although Vikings did import some design sensibilities from outside lineages, Baldur's Gate especially

(c) despite what people constantly say, most people aren't interested in a grounded historical setting as opposed to a fantasy or sci fi one -- the ones who are are the ones who follow Expeditions threads

a) Is just absurd, it's nonsense, it's retarded. Sure, for example all the Potatos here are so fond of games made by Ruskies because... those games are made by Ruskies and not because they like the games. That's the most ridiculous thing I've read for a while here.
Not to mention the tiny little fact that Vince, the founder of ITS is a native English speaker (Canadian or whatever).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI Vault Dweller has lived in Canada for many years and certainly has perfect English, but he's an immigrant from Ukraine.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
  • Large open world
  • Turn-based combat
  • Good visuals and music
  • 40 hours of content

Typical Turk. Posting another faggot poll

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What makes Viking unique is that it appears to be a classical full-scale RPG, yet it suffered a similar lack of attention. The logical conclusion is that the game was somehow perceived as not being full-scale.
If I have to guess, the Vikings was perceived as more of the same (reskinned Conquistadors with better graphics; not saying that's what the game was, obviously) and suffered from poor marketing (meaning many people didn't know what this game was, what its strengths were, and -most importantly- why they should play it).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • Large open world
  • Turn-based combat
  • Good visuals and music
  • 40 hours of content

a) Is just absurd, it's nonsense, it's retarded. Sure, for example all the Potatos here are so fond of games made by Ruskies because... those games are made by Ruskies and not because they like the games. That's the most ridiculous thing I've read for a while here.
Not to mention the tiny little fact that Vince, the founder of ITS is a native English speaker (Canadian or whatever).

I mean, you say that, but a lot of posters appraise the role of culture and country and its role in shaping game development and business practices, and more often than not, express positive attitudes toward the culture/countries/regions they inhabit and negative ones toward ones they don't.

At best, I'm just wrong because due to exaggerated perception of the importance of what I'm describing, but as long as posters are publicly engaging in the specified behavior it can't be nonsense.

The fact people aren't computer programs and possess variable degrees of objectivity or simply possess different priorities that don't include (or heavily reduce the role of) tribalist tendencies doesn't stop the behavior from occurring in those instances where it does occur.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I understand your average person thinking it would be like the first game, but word should have travelled faster on the codex.

Vikings isn't like the first game. It's a full blown 40 hour traditional CRPG. It should have got more than 18 pages of attention here of all places.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom