Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why morons shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
<a href=http://www.gamasutra.com>Gamasutra</a> has asked its obviously retarded audience what game defines a genre. Here are the <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050415/hong_pfv.htm>RPG-related answers</a>:

<blockquote>For RPGs, the Final Fantasy series has been the pinnacle of the genre. Even its faults have had their own unique ideas, and shown that they are willing to take challenges to pursue better gaming. The storylines, the characters, the gameplay, the music, the different procedures for leveling… I could go on for a long time. The creators own the RPG genre, and I hope to see great things from Square/Enix in the future.
When it comes to RPGs, I personally have not played any better game than Planescape: Torment. From quick glances, it may just look like a Baldur's Gate clone, but it is not until you actually play the game that you truly realize that this is a game that truly defines the role-playing genre. With Torment came incredible story telling (in my opinion, the only game to come close to the story telling in Torment was Knights of the Old Republic)...
RPG - Baldur's Gate II. This game had everything that I think a great RPG should have - compelling story, dynamic characters, strong rulebase (who can beat AD&D?), fast-paced and yet controllable action and opportunities for differing strategies. I _love_ RPGs in which you are able to create at least one character, and then are given control over other NPCs later on.
I'm a RPG fan, and I would have to say the Baldur's Gate saga is the defining game of that genre for me. An epic story, lovely looks, lots of spells, monsters, side quests, world-affecting decisions, robust character creation... it just has everything an RPG fan like me would want. I miss that saga like a lost kid in a mall misses his mommy.
For pure RPG, Baldur's Gate really captured the genre. It gave you the feeling that there was a complete world out there that you could go off and explore - that you weren't just following some pre-determined script that "carries" you through the levels. </blockquote>
Have fun.

Surlent

Liturgist
Bioweenia hits Gamasutra ! The new hit sensation spreads like wild forest fire !

DemonKing

Arcane
What's the problem - there are far worse CRPGs out there than the BG series - hell, one of them even likes Torment. They don't seem particularly moronic to me...unlike the citizens of the USA who re-elected Bush - now there's a real example of why morons shouldn't be allowed to vote!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'll take Baldur's Gate over Final Fantasy any freaking day of the week. BG might not have been the RPG rennaissance man that GameSutra heralds it to be, but it was definitely a fine specimen of an RPG, and a great game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Don't forget a few things though. The question is not "name a decent RPG" and the issue here is not whether the BG games are good RPGs or not.

First, BG may be a fine game but it's not something that defines the genre. Second, don't look at what games the morons vote for, look at why.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
DemonKing said:
They don't seem particularly moronic to me...unlike the citizens of the USA who re-elected Bush - now there's a real example of why morons shouldn't be allowed to vote!

Couldn't possibly agree more...

Vault Dweller

Developer
About that. As the saying goes, every nation has the government it deserves. From that point of view, there are many nations way more stupid than the Americans. How did that communism thing work out in Romania?

Jora

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
When it comes to RPGs, I personally have not played any better game than Planescape: Torment. From quick glances, it may just look like a Baldur's Gate clone, but it is not until you actually play the game that you truly realize that this is a game that truly defines the role-playing genre. With Torment came incredible story telling (in my opinion, the only game to come close to the story telling in Torment was Knights of the Old Republic)...
IMO The only thing that is stupid about this is the part where something positive of KotOR's story is said.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
The comments about BG make me note that (in an RPG,) size matters. :)

Baldur’s Gate games did provide a feeling of a world to explore (thought I didn't finish SoA so maybe it didn't hold up). But there wouldn't have been that feeling if it wasn't so big.

The new, 20-hour style of RPG is a big loss in this regard. It's like a tiny virtual playground instead of an amusement park.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Jora said:
Not Vault Dweller said:
IMO The only thing that is stupid about this is the part where something positive of KotOR's story is said.
That was one of the reasons I included that paragraph. Another reason is that PST was a game with a great story, great characters, and great dialogues. It's one of the best games I've played, but I'm not sure it was a great RPG though.

Haris

Novice
After playing Fallout series most other rpg games seem really flat and boring. Not that i dont play them but playing BG after F2 made it seem extrimly lame. Only thing i can really enjoy now is mmorpgs and strategy games cause i dont expect deep story with lots of options and ways to go. I remember when i bought Diablo. My opinion was "the greatest game ever" Now there is no way i could play another Diablo clone or sequal for longer than 2-3 days that it takes to beat it.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh man all those retarded morons that think differently than the Codex does. What a bunch of retarded morons!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Re: Why moro, Baldur's Gate ns shouldn't be allowed to vote.

For RPGs, the Final Fantasy series has been the pinnacle of the genre. Even its faults have had their own unique ideas, and shown that they are willing to take challenges to pursue better gaming. The storylines, the characters, the gameplay, the music, the different procedures for leveling… I could go on for a long time. The creators own the RPG genre, and I hope to see great things from Square/Enix in the future.
What?!

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
About that. As the saying goes, every nation has the government it deserves. From that point of view, there are many nations way more stupid than the Americans. How did that communism thing work out in Romania?

Let's also not forget what a rockin' good time Romania's obviously more sensible leaders had in forming an ALLIANCE with Nazi Germany. I read somewhere Romania's involvement in the Eastern Front was integral in the German victory there :roll:

taks

Liturgist
DemonKing said:
They don't seem particularly moronic to me...unlike the citizens of the USA who re-elected Bush - now there's a real example of why morons shouldn't be allowed to vote!
why? because unlike morons like you, we were actually able to see through kerry?
good one there, demonking.
i bet ur reel smrt.

taks

DemonKing

Arcane
taks said:
DemonKing said:
why? because unlike morons like you, we were actually able to see through kerry?
good one there, demonking.
i bet ur reel smrt.

taks

Yep - I can spell "you're", "real" and "smart"!

Enjoy your president!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Judas said:
Oh man all those retarded morons that think differently than the Codex does. What a bunch of retarded morons!
What a convinient defense of stupidity: they are not stupid, they just have different opinions. Yes, they do. Stupid people have different opinions. Because they are stupid :lol:

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
Vault Dweller said:
What a convinient defense of stupidity: they are not stupid, they just have different opinions. Yes, they do. Stupid people have different opinions. Because they are stupid :lol:
Now you've confused me. Don't smart people have different opinions as well? Or do all smart people think exactly the same, and that's what makes them smart?

I feel like such a retarded moron... :cry:

Vault Dweller

Developer
The point that you are missing is that there is nothing wrong with having a different opinion and I respect those. But some opinions are just plain stupid and there is no reason to be politically correct about that and filing them under the "different" category. Different is one thing, stupid is another.

In case you didn't notice, and in that case you are one blind motherfucker, the Codex is filled with people who have different opinions on fucking everything. There are very few things that the local denizens agree on, so there is no need for "OMG! They think differently than the Codex!" statements. Even the replies in this thread prove you wrong.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
IMHO, the only retarded one is the first one about Final Fantasy.
BG or PS:T are not my favourite RPG's EVAR, but I can see why a large number of people might consider them as "defining" the genre. It's not a massive stretch.
BTW, did anyone say "Fallout"?

Edit:
just had a quick look at the article.
The question actually was "For any genre of your choice, what is the game that defines that genre for you?"
That explains the couple of console-esque responses.

If you can't see the difference, put it this way: in the general version, I would obvioulsy say something like Fallout, BG, or whatever I consider to be the most representative of the good bits of the genre, while still being kinda representative of what is most common in RPGs. The closer you can get these two qualities togther (not necessarily easy) the more "definitive" the choice it will be.
But add the "for you" then it becomes something rather potentially fruity, different, personal, and contentious (such as Wizardry 8) simply because, while hardly perfect, its the type of RPG that I most enjoy and want to see a more of. (possibly because it preys on my nostalgia for those "first-person party" games I used to play on my Amiga). Though I am quite possibly retarded, it may (cos Im not certain :wink: ) define what I look for in the RPG genre.

Edit one thousand: sorry for the heaps of edits! :(

Greatatlantic

Erudite
For the RPG, simply Final Fantasy 6. It has the best story, greatest variety of characters, tons of different music, and added many secret areas. It was the first game to truly to define a real experience of an RPG to the player.
-Anonymous

Ughh... somebody needs to be beat with a stick to knock the ignorance out of them, or at least knock them out.

Final Fantasy was a fun flick for middle schoolers, and casual gamers might find it interesting, but really... greatest variety of characers? They gave you 16 predefined characters, a lot for that style of game, but its nothing compared to the custom characters you can create with Fallout, Arcanum, or even Neverwinter Nights. I'm not even going to mention that music and secret areas have nothing to do with RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom