Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wing Commander Series and Prophecy

MetalCraze

Arcane
So I've just completed WC4 and WC3 before that. I haven't played them before but they are awesome games and the amount of C&C in them will make any cRPG fan wet.
Yes C&C - at first I've thought that non-linearity only meant "next missions depending on the success or failure of the previous ones" - and that's true for WC3 and WC4 too, however there is also a form of that "next-gen" (WC3 was released in 1994) dialogue-wheel that Bioware used in ME (like you choose what PC (starring Mark Hamill) will say based on his "thoughts"). There are only 2 options unlike 3 in ME - however Bioware failed at it so miserably - while WC3/4 indeed have a strong C&C based on your dialogue choices. And it influenced anything - the way missions will go, who will stay on your crew, who will die, what NPCs will think about you, multiple endings. Consequences there are going far beyond fighting elves or order in the exact same location that won't affect anything else.
More so in WC4 where your actions influence everything so heavily that you can have a totally different storyline (and different set of locations, characters you meet because of that) and the game even has the trial which will put the linear pile of poo from NWN2 to shame. The only downside is the same as with Blade Runner - the games are short, especially WC4 which is too short (however on the bright side the amount of content easily makes up for that and I intend to replay it).
And finally a great set of actors (charismatic Malcolm McDowell especially) - and while WC3 was a solid space b-movie (something Bioware terribly failed to do) - WC4 is more mature and reminded me about all good space sci fi shows out there.

OK mad fap-fap-fap mode off for now and to the question at hand - I've heard some bashing of WC Prophecy (I think the departure of Roberts brothers to make Digital Anvil and Starlancer which should've been true WC5 played a role) but I want to know - should I bother with it? Does it have the same amount of C&C, non-linearity and quality of characters as previous two games do? Or is it just shit?
(Yeah I know that main character is different and I kinda used to play as Mark Hamill and his acting here was much more better than in that fantasy trilogy where people were larping as some superheros and pushing each other with the magic and hitting each other with long lamps and one of them carried a lame bucket on his head)

Talonfire

Scholar
skyway said:
So I've just completed WC4 and WC3 before that. I haven't played them before but they are awesome games and the amount of C&C in them will make any cRPG fan wet.
Yes C&C - at first I've thought that non-linearity only meant "next missions depending on the success or failure of the previous ones" - and that's true for WC3 and WC4 too, however there is also a form of that "next-gen" (WC3 was released in 1994) dialogue-wheel that Bioware used in ME (like you choose what PC (starring Mark Hamill) will say based on his "thoughts"). There are only 2 options unlike 3 in ME - however Bioware failed at it so miserably - while WC3/4 indeed have a strong C&C based on your dialogue choices. And it influenced anything - the way missions will go, who will stay on your crew, who will die, what NPCs will think about you, multiple endings. Consequences there are going far beyond fighting elves or order in the exact same location that won't affect anything else.
More so in WC4 where your actions influence everything so heavily that you can have a totally different storyline (and different set of locations, characters you meet because of that) and the game even has the trial which will put the linear pile of poo from NWN2 to shame. The only downside is the same as with Blade Runner - the games are short, especially WC4 which is too short (however on the bright side the amount of content easily makes up for that and I intend to replay it).
And finally a great set of actors (charismatic Malcolm McDowell especially) - and while WC3 was a solid space b-movie (something Bioware terribly failed to do) - WC4 is more mature and reminded me about all good space sci fi shows out there.

It may be because I'm not too into Sci-Fi, but Wing Commander never caught on with me. It may also have been because it felt like a poor man's X-Wing or TIE Fighter since it required absolutely no strategy. You just went from battle to battle by pressing A.

OK mad fap-fap-fap mode off for now and to the question at hand - I've heard some bashing of WC Prophecy (I think the departure of Roberts brothers to make Digital Anvil and Starlancer which should've been true WC5 played a role) but I want to know - should I bother with it? Does it have the same amount of C&C, non-linearity and quality of characters as previous two games do? Or is it just shit?
(Yeah I know that main character is different and I kinda used to play as Mark Hamill and his acting here was much more better than in that fantasy trilogy where people were larping as some superheros and pushing each other with the magic and hitting each other with long lamps and one of them carried a lame bucket on his head)

Prophecy plays like the first Wing Commander games for the most part, the only difference is that it has nothing to do with the Kilrathi (featuring lame looking bug aliens instead), and as you already know you don't play as Mark. Its pseudo sequel "Secret Ops" on the other hand, is just a straight forward fagfest. It was free when it came out, though; so that is somewhat forgivable.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I used to be a HUGE WC fan. However I went straight through the first three and, even though I loved them, never had the chance to get the fourth.

So no, I haven't played Prophecy. But WC is definitely my favorite space-sim shooter (a genre I'm not very fond of). If only I still had a joystick!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Talonfire said:
It may be because I'm not too into Sci-Fi, but Wing Commander never caught on with me. It may also have been because it felt like a poor man's X-Wing or TIE Fighter since it required absolutely no strategy. You just went from battle to battle by pressing A.

It felt much like Freespace indeed in terms of being arcade-y (really vice versa but anyway) but I'm ok with that - it is a good arcade but I was playing it mainly because it was a non-linear movie like Blade Runner game.
And also because games that are 14+ years old totally beat all that "next-gen" "omg your choices have consequences" bs and even some of older rpgs and adventures in terms of non-linearity and C&C.

If Prophecy won't get much love from the Codex I will move onto Starlancer which as I've heard was a true "sequel" to WC in terms of non-linearity (too bad that without outstanding live-action)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
prophecy sucks monkey balls, especially after wc4, which imo is the best game of the whole franchise.

secret ops was fun for a while, but that's it.

edit: iirc prophecy has only one ending and the only branching happens with some of the missions, and is only minor. other than that, when you fuck up it's either lose game or the enemy fighter setup in the follow-up changes.

kris

Arcane
The funny thing I remember from prophecy was how they constantly talked about how great and awe inspiring those aliens were, but every pilot on the crew had like 200 kills.

NiM82

Prophet
Try Secret Ops maybe as it's much better than Prophecy and was standalone. Overall though WC5 was pretty crappy, the only thing going for it was Accelerated 3D graphics, which doesn't really mean shit given how fugly it looks now. Huge disappointment at the time, probably worse now.

Starlancer was quite fun to begin with, though I got a bit bored towards the end. The scripted missions became rather daft/tedious. No live acting, but the CGI FMV was pretty good.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the online registration thingy for secret ops is still up?

DaveO

Erudite
You don't need warez/abandonware sites to try Prophecy: Secret Ops. The WC CIC site(wcnews.com) has all the episodes as a free download. I felt the AI being the most disappointing thing about WC Prophecy and Secret Ops. The bugs never felt that threatening to me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I would but I can't find a way to make it work. Windows version constantly crashes when I try to get off the planet (and there is no workaround till this day) - and the DOS version works bad in DosBox - when there are no ships on the screen the framerate is crazy fast and I simply get killed in one second but when something (a planet f.e.) appears on the screen - framerate drops too much and game lags - fuxxing with CPU cycles does not seem to help this.

Guess the only real solution for me will be to install win98 and play there (thankfully NVidia aren't such pricks as ATI and have drivers for win98 for GF7 and lower).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom