Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Video leaked

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
bhlaab said:
Arcanoix said:
bhlaab said:
New engine? Hope it runs better than Witcher 1 and isn't as CPU-bound.

The shader engine is new and can generate shadows based off of the GPU, not the CPU.

The first game runs terribly for me no matter what my settings are because the whole thing is so dependant on clock speed. I have a core 2 duo but it's only 2.33ghz. I'd probably be better off with a 3ghz pentium 4.

Though I guess it's fair to expect multicore optimization this time around.
WAT? I've played it on single core 1,8GHz (AthlonXP) - and it was running pretty well on medium-max settings?

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
bozia2012 said:
bhlaab said:
Arcanoix said:
bhlaab said:
New engine? Hope it runs better than Witcher 1 and isn't as CPU-bound.

The shader engine is new and can generate shadows based off of the GPU, not the CPU.

The first game runs terribly for me no matter what my settings are because the whole thing is so dependant on clock speed. I have a core 2 duo but it's only 2.33ghz. I'd probably be better off with a 3ghz pentium 4.

Though I guess it's fair to expect multicore optimization this time around.
WAT? I've played it on single core 1,8GHz (AthlonXP) - and it was running pretty well on medium-max settings?
Quite the same. The only problem I really had with TW performance was the awfully long loading times (though it improved with each patch). I remember that CDP did pretty well with the engine actually, much better than Obsidian did at least.

Angthoron

Arcane
Definitely giving it a benefit of doubt as it's for internal marketing, but I must say that the mentioned "Bioware" dialogue model was present in the video and that's a tad disturbing. I hope they just decided to use a piece that was voiced and that it's not indicative. The "I wish I could stay but I should do this"/"Not now" dialogue choice paired with the guy telling of vastness of choice and consequence through dialogue was a touch lulzy.

Otherwise, looking forward to it. It's not like the first Witcher's ad campaign was any better until they started actually showing gameplay/environment vids.

Phelot

Arcane
Oh boy...

The guy in all black in the hallway was INTENSE!

Geralds haircut looks Japanese.

The first game wasn't very good so this one probably won't be good either.

Dragons.

No one seems to notice that there is 300 mph wind.

Blood blocks the screen adding to the eXtreme!

Blowing people off cliffs is reminiscent to that bad Might and Magic game were you kick people into spikes.

Poland.

z6913421N.jpg

bhlaab

Erudite
Ogg said:
Quite the same. The only problem I really had with TW performance was the awfully long loading times (though it improved with each patch). I remember that CDP did pretty well with the engine actually, much better than Obsidian did at least.

I dunno, maybe you are low spec kinda guys and are used to games being a bit jittery or something, but inconsistent framerates bug the shit out of me

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Now that I've actually seen it: lol wut the blood splats.

They've a life-size figure of Geralt in their office.They seriously.

I can see the remarks about Biwarish dialogue, but even though I liked the first game a lot, the dialogue in it could be pretty iffy esp. translation mishaps. Anything to do with women was always borderline skeevy/sleazy.

What the fuck, Geralt's hair. Very nice graphics, though. Looks way nicer than DA, though that's not saying a lot--superior art direction, for sure.

Oh, QTEs. Well fuck. But at least now the bitchers will finally learn what QTEs actually are and that the first game's combat sure wasn't it.

I still think the sequel should've been Witcher 2: Revenge of Yennefer.

Angthoron

Arcane
bhlaab said:
Ogg said:

I dunno, maybe you are low spec kinda guys and are used to games being a bit jittery or something, but inconsistent framerates bug the shit out of me

Never had that on any systems that I've played, unlike the trainwreck of NWN2 OC. Very smooth most of the time except for the Burning Vizima part, but they overdid it with effects and crowd there so it's a surprise the engine actually managed to handle it at all.

Lesifoere said:
I can see the remarks about Biwarish dialogue, but even though I liked the first game a lot, the dialogue in it could be pretty iffy esp. translation mishaps. Anything to do with women was always borderline skeevy/sleazy.

Oh, absolutely. The translation team utterly failed with any and every colloquialism they encountered, and the original Princess/politics talk was fucked up beyond belief starting with stylistics and finishing with the content. And there was some "zero choice" dialogue options present in the original too, so... Just a stupid thing to pick for a presentation, that's all.

1eyedking

Erudite
The Ticktockman said:
1eyedking said:
Dialogue seems to have taken a BioWarish turn and that is unforgivable.

lolwut.
Maybe you didn't pay attention (understandable - too much blood, QTE, and other unwanted crap).

In the original Witcher, Geralt would say to the NPC the exact same line which you picked. Yes, at times he would have his way and carry the conversation forward without you choosing any line, but this is pretty much the same as Fallout's fake one-choice conversation carriers.

In this video:

"You'd best stay with me."

Line picked: "Believe me, I'd really like to."

Line spoken: "Princess, under any other circumstances I'd stay, but...this is important. Besides, I'm broke."
More like Geralt Shepard, am I right?

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm hoping they just slapped together a voiced version for an investor presentation. Otherwise, yeah. Both the Bioware Choices and Bioware Presentation are there.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Oh, hah. Yikes. I didn't notice that Shepard deal because I wasn't paying attention to dialogue choices (indeed didn't even notice any being shown).

Silellak

Cipher
Ahahahaha "innovative" and "quick time events" in the same sentence. Fantastic. Comedy gold.

I guess I should just be glad this isn't a leaked video for The Director's Perfected Cut of The Witcher: Limited Collector's Ultimate Edition. After all, I enjoyed the first game, so I'm sure I'll pick up the sequel.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
In terms of visual and atmospheric design, the game seems to shine. As far as combat system is concerned - I can't help but to agree with everyone, whose bright idea was it to implement quick time events? It's relatively obvious their intention is to cater to the console crowd.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
bhlaab said:
Ogg said:

Maybe, like me, they once played games that looked like this so they aren't bothered by small glitches in particle effects or shading.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It sure looks fucking pretty.

'Cinematic experience', bleh an feh.

Using aard to blow people off ledges looks fun.

QTES, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :?

1eyedking

Erudite
VonVentrue said:
In terms of visual and atmospheric design, the game seems to shine. As far as combat system is concerned - I can't help but to agree with everyone, whose bright idea was it to implement quick time events? It's relatively obvious their intention is to cater to the console crowd.
It's not like the original's combat deviated far from QTE type mechanics.

It's not QTE what hurts; it's that the shitfest combat is still in.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Monocause said:
On the other hand, it seems that you can now actually dodge attacks and projectiles headed your way, and that's good.
You could dodge in the first one too, by double-clicking on the ground in top-down mode or double-tapping WASD in 3rd person mode.

No one seems to have noticed, which is kinda odd since it's in the tutorials.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:
That's Ausir isn't it?
Yes.

Screw QTE, what really makes me worry are those damn Bioware dialogs which made me rage when playing ME. Fuck.

Well, they are going to the console market... it had to happened. Well, it still looks good so I will probably get it if my rig can handle it.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Agreed with the consensus here; the blood spatters are retarded (ripoff from DA?), and the Mass Effect-like dialogue system where you choose a short phrase and the character says 5 full sentences is stupid. Otherwise, it seems much like the first part; good visual design, good atmosphere, clicky combat.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Wait a minute, it just occurred to me... if they used the Biowares dialogues once does it meant they will implement it in the whole game?

fuuuuum.png

Listen up you CDPR Devs, I know you people are reading this. If you implement those dialogues in the whole game I will find you and it will be bad, very bad for you.

Just let you know.

yarpen

Novice
One thing you don't have to worry about are voices, they're placeholders surely, I recognized some of developers there...

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Oh hi yarpen... so as I was saying they can use those dialogues in the console version, but on the PC, oh come on.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I actually don't think the Mass Effect dialogues are that bad. Not when there aren't that many options to begin with (and let's face it, The Witcher didn't have more dialogue options than Mass Effect.) A game like Torment is another matter entirely. But in a game that doesn't have sophisticated dialogue trees it really doesn't matter, to be honest. And the original Witcher already did a lot of assuming about your/Geralt's intentions when he was talking on his own, which was frequent.

In a game where the main character is voiced, it's strange to pick a line and then hear him recite verbatim what you just read. Say what you will about the Mass Effect system, but it IS true at least that it creates a more cinematic experience since you can pick the options faster. And if you're going to restrict player freedom anyway, there's no reason not to go that route.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom