Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 2 will have ironman mode

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
To me, the whole point of ironman is to make the player use his tactics wisely in order not to screw up, i.e., to make the player think more and better. That's why I've never understood the point of going ironman in a click-clickity-clicky, totally non-tactical game. Why subject yourself to the needless pain of mindlessly, or almost mindlessly, clicking all the enemies in an area all over again? Even a fucking platformer has more reasons for having an ironman mode than the Witcher has. (And that's coming from someone who liked the first Witcher as an action-adventure by the way.)

KalosKagathos

Learned
Crooked Bee said:
To me, the whole point of ironman is to make the player use his tactics wisely in order not to screw up, i.e., to make the player think more and better. That's why I've never understood the point of going ironman in a click-clickity-clicky, totally non-tactical game. Why subject yourself to the needless pain of mindlessly, or almost mindlessly, clicking all the enemies in an area all over again? Even a fucking platformer has more reasons for having an ironman mode than the Witcher has. (And that's coming from someone who liked the first Witcher as an action-adventure by the way.)
CDPR supposedly improved the combat in The Witcher 2 by making it play like a proper action game instead of a QTE fest. Time will tell if their idea of a proper action game is DMC or Dynasty Warriors.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't want an action game, I want RPG. If I'd like an action game, I'd play Metal Slug, or Shenmue, in fact even Risen would do better.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-17-witcher-2s-insane-difficulty-revealed

"Here's a rune of fire, it boosts poison damage."

Makes perfect sense to me. :smug:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Raghar said:
I don't want an action game, I want RPG.

By their nature RPGs are a hybrid genre. If you don't like arpgs stick to frpgs like fallout.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Konjad said:
DraQ said:
Konjad said:
Idk if that's a good idea... I mean it certainly isn't bad - no one has to play ironman because it's optional. On the other hand what's the point in including it in story driven game?
Because it's manly and including it in such an extremely manly game makes sense.
Duh.
:smug:

Yeah but will you replay two chapters doing the same shit with different choices? Ok, once is okay. But five times if some boss is too hard? I guess they don't have that many C&Cs to make replaying so fun every time.

As I said - imo in story driven game it's rather pointless. In sandbox or semi-sandbox games it makes perfect sense but not in games like Wiedźmin. I would get pissed of if I had to repeat the same thing the same way again just because some goblin sneak attacked me.

Got to agree here. Ironman in combat-based or randomised games like Wizardry or roguelikes? Great, makes sense and definitely adds a new element to the game. In a story-based action game where you're going to be watching the same cutscenes, hacking through the same filler (not that I mind Witcher combat, but I wouldn't want to play it over and over) in much the same way... no thanks. Nice to see it included regardless, though.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Raghar said:
I don't want an action game, I want RPG. If I'd like an action game, I'd play Metal Slug, or Shenmue, in fact even Risen would do better.
Congratulations, you aren't a part of CDPR's target audience. You have one less game to spend money on.
Mastermind said:
By their nature RPGs are a hybrid genre.
They really aren't. They lend themselves well to hybrids, true, but pure RPGs (turn-based dungeon crawlers) still exist.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
KalosKagathos said:
but pure RPGs (turn-based dungeon crawlers) still exist.

There's no such thing as a pure RPG. Whether a game is turn based has nothing to do with whether it's an RPG. Same applies to dungeon crawling (which is just another word for endless grinding). Turn based RPGs are generally (shitty, dumbed down) turn based tactical/strategy games hybrid (like Fallout). Actually, shitty (action game, tbs, rts, adventure game) with character sheets sums up most RPGs produced pretty well. What makes a game an RPG is player driven character development, both internally (stat sheets) and externally (what to do, how to go about doing it). Turn based, real time, action hybrid, tbs hybrid, rts hybrid, it doesn't matter. The only reason why some oldfags associate TB dungeon crawling with "pure" rpgs is because those were the first ones out (in part due to tech limitations, in part due to the crossover from tabletops).

Doubt they would have implemented this if NV's "hardcore" mode hadn't been so popular, ironman mode will probably have a much bigger impact on gameplay experience than NV's hardcore ever did.

The more ways they find to make gameplay more challenging without resorting to HP bloat the better.

Baron said:
Yeah, but that was avoided by getting the Drowner charm bracelet, a clever feature to avoid combat and a money sink. They always had good ideas, I'm confident they'll continue it in the sequel.

Which is useless since you're still considered to be in combat while the fuckers are near, so you can't pick up stuff or enter caves.

Raghar said:

Metal Slug, high five! And I can say the same, I'd rather have non-action rpg's.

Iron Man is cool in tactical squad-based games, where you have a pool of squad members to choose from even if a few of them die.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
I played Oblivion on super-iron-man mode once. This involved, upon a death caused by me being so fucking interested in what was happening that I left the game running and went somewhere else for two hours, immediately uninstalling and giving the game away to my idiot cousin. Wish I'd gone the next iron-man step up and put the disc in the microwave.

Anyway... don't see the point in this unless it adds to/alters gameplay in some way, other than mandating via code something I can do myself if I want.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Mastermind said:
KalosKagathos said:

There's no such thing as a pure RPG. Whether a game is turn based has nothing to do with whether it's an RPG. Same applies to dungeon crawling (which is just another word for endless grinding). Turn based RPGs are generally (shitty, dumbed down) turn based tactical/strategy games hybrid (like Fallout). Actually, shitty (action game, tbs, rts, adventure game) with character sheets sums up most RPGs produced pretty well. What makes a game an RPG is player driven character development, both internally (stat sheets) and externally (what to do, how to go about doing it). Turn based, real time, action hybrid, tbs hybrid, rts hybrid, it doesn't matter. The only reason why some oldfags associate TB dungeon crawling with "pure" rpgs is because those were the first ones out (in part due to tech limitations, in part due to the crossover from tabletops).
This is the most hypocritical thing I've ever said, but... Bloody '10-fags.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
KalosKagathos said:
Mastermind said:
KalosKagathos said:

This is the most hypocritical thing I've ever said, but... Bloody '10-fags.

Mastermind's right, '10-fag.

bhlaab

Erudite
I'd like an ironman mode where when you die you're sent back to the beginning of the game but keep all of your stats, Mystery Dungeon style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom