Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher fanboys: the emporer is nakey.

I had written most of this post in the disappointments thread, so it might sound somewhat disjointed.

The Witcher. Dunno how anyone can say this is an RPG and Final Fantasy isn't and keep a straight face. It's a glorified adventure game, and not even a very good one at that. Story is weak. Characters are weak. Writing is godawful. There is nothing mechanically interesting about the game (gear is standardized, there is no character specialization as you can just buy everything with the amount of skill points that are thrown at you). I care nothing about the characters or story and simultaneously have no interest in improving Geralt's abilities or searching for phat lewt or something equally Monty Haul to maintain, at very least, my inner child's interest.

I have no fucking idea why this turd is the lap dog of the community this year, aside from it being Polish and thus edgy and indie. Geralt is the exact same character the hardcore community (myself included) make fun of in JRPGs -- the stoic, cursed/blessed, hardass but emotional, long-white-haired mutant ninja/superwarrior. It's just bizarre to be laughing with the rest of you at the next big-eyed anime bullshit 'RPG' and then suddenly be the only one laughing at the exact same archetype, except now it's Polish and hey I heard there were some novels and no I haven't read any of them because I can't read a word of fucking Polish but since there are novels I guess that means this game can magically get away with all the lame bullshit I would mock if it was made by slants instead of sexually repressed dweebs in wooden shoes.

I mean seriously, the incomprehensible story? The action/adventure combat? The fucking tacky/corny sex cards? The JRPG stereotypical Geralt himself? Christ, it's a Polish Mass Effect. Except for some reason everyone can tell Mass Effect is a pretty bad RPG, and yet completely miss the point when it comes to the Witcher.

I mean, it'd make sense if you loved both The Witcher and Mass Effect. You enjoy shitty action/adventure games and like to hang out on RPGCodex and pretend to be a big boy. That's fine, I hear Volourn is going to have a smashing Christmas party (after all, in the immortal words of... Major Blackheart, was it? 'Everyone is a girl face-down') .

I don't get this either/or bullshit though. Frankly I think it's because you probably do like both games because you have no taste, except to sit at the big boy table you need to (rightfully) bash Bioware, so you do it to fit in and secretly fap to the lesbian alien sex scene, of which you have a savegame right before, just as often as you do to the naughty Witcher sex cards (and you bought the International version so you could see the nippies and some bush). That or you haven't even played Mass Effect because it's an "action/adventure" game, and those suck, but hey guys the Witcher is totally an RPG and totally GOTY!!!~

Quite frankly, I am disgusted to be a hardcore RPG fan this year.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
undead dolphin hacker said:
after all, in the immortal words of... Major Blackheart, was it? 'Everyone is a girl face-down'
That was Fez.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the other subject matter, but am looking forward to some good ol' angry cunt shenanigans. Let it roll.

Kortalh

Liturgist
... if it was made by slants instead of sexually repressed dweebs in wooden shoes.

Right there's where you show your true colors as an uneducated moron. The Dutch are the wooden shoesies, not the Pollocks. Duh.

Suicidal

Arcane

niggayr5.jpg

I haven't played more than two hours, but I think I can throw some bullshit together with emphasis on bullshit.

The Witcher. Dunno how anyone can say this is an RPG and Final Fantasy isn't and keep a straight face.

Because the Witcher has that all important choices with consequences thing. Not the best implementation, but it beats Bioware's "I saved you, here's my life savings, my first born child, my grandmother's soul, and my cock. Want a blow job too?"/"I saved you, gimme money cause I'm evil!" and Bethesda's "Do I do the quest or do it later? HOLY SHIT CHOICES!"

Plus Final Faggotry is like gay in the twink kind of way, like those types of guys who shave everywhere and get waxes. Fucking hell that is so fucked up.

Story is weak.

Whoop de doo. A good story is nice, but good gameplay is what matters. And I bet the story has it where it counts....

Characters are weak.

What are you talking about? Geralt and company are fucking ripped.

Writing is godawful.

Read the Throne of Bhaal novelization. That is godawful. THROAT SLITTING SCENE WITH LESBIAN UNDERTONES WHAT THE FUCK!? The Witcher just has translation issues.

There is nothing mechanically interesting about the game

Not even the potions/alchemy? Because playing chemist and drinking the stuff is always fun.

gear is standardized

That's because Geralt doesn't need some fancy shmancy sword because he isn't a pansy trying to overcompensate. I'm looking at you Drizzt.....

there is no character specialization as you can just buy everything with the amount of skill points that are thrown at you

If you powergame (I'm assuming) the character can do everything? No way...

I care nothing about the characters or story and simultaneously have no interest in improving Geralt's abilities or searching for phat lewt or something equally Monty Haul to maintain, at very least, my inner child's interest.

Uhhhh.....maybe popa few prozac and see if the interest comes back if not call the suicide hotline. We'll be here for you too bro. Holy shit this joke was totally relevant and edgy and not more fucktarded than the spawn of an inbred Nascar driver and a Vietnamese whore with Parkinsyphillis.

I have no fucking idea why this turd is the lap dog of the community this year, aside from it being Polish and thus edgy and indie.

The 2-3 years of absolute shit beforehand couldn't have anything to do with it now could it? Nope....not in the least. Why that idea is as preposterous as the idea that the government is corrupt.

Geralt is the exact same character the hardcore community (myself included) make fun of in JRPGs -- the stoic, cursed/blessed, hardass but emotional, long-white-haired mutant ninja/superwarrior.

Okay, let's break this down.

Geralt
-Manly
-Big muscles
-Has sex with every woman he meets and still hasn't picked up any diseases or is too badass to be harmed by them
-Kills stuff
-Kills more stuff
-Kills big fucking dogs
-Kills Christian extremists
-Kills even more stuff
-Fucks more
-Gruff voice
-Emotions? Character development? THIS. IS. POORLY. TRANSLATED!

Sephiroth
-Faggot
-Skinny loser
-Has a fucking Oedipus complex
-Killed a hippie girl by falling on her
-Overcompensates for his tiny Asian penis with a gigantic fucking sword
-Got killed by an equally effeminate Arayan twink

It's just bizarre to be laughing with the rest of you at the next big-eyed anime bullshit 'RPG' and then suddenly be the only one laughing at the exact same archetype, except now it's Polish and hey I heard there were some novels and no I haven't read any of them because I can't read a word of fucking Polish but since there are novels I guess that means this game can magically get away with all the lame bullshit I would mock if it was made by slants instead of sexually repressed dweebs in wooden shoes.

I see your anti-chinks, nips, and the like and raise you a display of antisemitism.

I mean seriously, the incomprehensible story?

Uh....it actually seems pretty damn simple to get. He kills stuff, there are stupid untermensch dwarves and elves that need to be eradicated, and Geralt must have a huge throbbing cock loaded to the brim with juice. The only thing that was incomprehensible was whether on not he was circumcised or not.

The action/adventure combat?

Action/adventure combat? The fuck? It's an action RPG with some choices

The fucking tacky/corny sex cards?

[seriousmode]I actually agree[/seriousmode]

Sometimes he might have a case of blueballs impeding his combat effectiveness with no women in a 2 mile radius. A man's gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Christ, it's a Polish Mass Effect. Except for some reason everyone can tell Mass Effect is a pretty bad RPG, and yet completely miss the point when it comes to the Witcher.

Except you know, Mass Effect has no consequences for your actions except getting raped for being a racist and the Witcher has some.

blah blah blah FRIED CHICKEN blah blah blah two cocks rammed up a tight lubed asshole blah blah blah blah DO A FUCKING BARREL ROLL blah blah blah FUCKING GOOKS POLLUTING OUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite frankly, I am disgusted to be a hardcore RPG fan this year.

I bet that's such a huge ass change from 2005, and 2006?

Slylandro

Scholar
Poor translation is not an excuse, though. You review the game, not what the game could or should have been.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
There is nothing mechanically interesting about the game.
For me it's trying different sides.

I care nothing about the characters or story and simultaneously have no interest in improving Geralt's abilities.
There was only one ability I desired trough the game - Savage: +50% attack and + 50% evasion at night.

hey I heard there were some novels and no I haven't read any of them because I can't read a word of fucking Polish but since there are novels I guess that means this game can magically get away with all the lame bullshit
I played the game right after reading the whole series [in russian] and thus Witcher looked like a good addition to it.
Except for one thing: both books and game many times mentioned Geralt's mutated eyes which alowed him to see in the dark yet in the game you still need to use torch or drink potion to actually see in the dark. WTF?

I mean seriously, the incomprehensible story?
Incomprehensible, seriously? It was as plain as bad.

The action/adventure combat?
Reminded me of Jedi Academy's one but "click-in-the-right-monent" spoiled the fun.

The fucking tacky/corny sex cards?
This one sucked hard. I even thought it's game for teenagers.

The JRPG stereotypical Geralt himself?
But good designed.

I mean, it'd make sense if you loved both The Witcher and Mass Effect.
I'll see when pc version is out.

You enjoy shitty action/adventure games and like to hang out on RPGCodex and pretend to be a big boy.
ha-ha. I'm teh hardcore roleplaya and u r all fags.[/quote]

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Slylandro said:
Poor translation is not an excuse, though. You review the game, not what the game could or should have been.
Sometimes living in Russia has unexpected benefits. :) Having a proper translation of TW is one of them. Even the voice-overs are above average, and that happens very rare in these parts.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Not even the potions/alchemy? Because playing chemist and drinking the stuff is always fun.
It wasn't THAT fun but yeah, it's the best alchemy system in modern games.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
gear is standardized
That's because Geralt doesn't need some fancy shmancy sword because he isn't a pansy trying to overcompensate. I'm looking at you Drizzt.....
I liked how you don't need to change your three-red-meteor steel sword for some weird stuff until ch4.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Geralt
-Manly
-Big muscles
-Has sex
-Kills stuff
-Gruff voice
Oh no, Geralt is so cool I can barely hold not to shit my pants.
edit: It's more funny remembering Sapkowski's "world is changing, oh no, I have to adapt myself to it" attitude and overall "manipulated by women using sex" theme.

Lestat said:
Speaking Russian has benefits.
fixed

made

Arcane
Ok, I'll bite.

"there is no character specialization as you can just buy everything with the amount of skill points that are thrown at you"

This is simply false. The talent point progression table has been posted in another thread; in a regular playthrough you won't get enough points to take them all. From personal experience, I was able to max out all sword styles and most physical talents, neglecting everything related to magic. I completed all available quests, but didn't go out of my way to grind levels on mobs that give progressively less xp.

A more valid complaint would be that, past a certain point, the combat is so unbalanced that it doesn't matter which talents you pick, it's generally too easy and certain overpowered talents (igni spam + energy regen) only trivialize it further.

The rest of what you wrote can be contributed to personal preference rather than objective analysis.

Writing is generally of high quality in the Polish version, but there are exceptions. Not all dialogue in a game is written by the same person, and occasional bits are sub-par. Same goes for the voiceovers, which are cringeworthy in some cases, yet excellent in others - as an example take Jaskier and Foltest for two extremes.

The sex feels tagged on in some places, as if the devs felt they must include it whether it makes sense or not, resulting in a "gotta catch all cards" minigame that can be ignored but nontheless feels lame because it's there.

There a lot to nitpick in the game, and it's far from perfect. Especially late in the game I noticed a decline in overall quality as the novely wore off. Still, considering the trend of the past years, the game does many things right and is worthy of the RPGOTY title people throw at it, not the least for lack of competition.

Andhaira

Arcane
I am still flabbergasted by the thread's title.

I do agree though, that Geralt is a carbon copy of Elric.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
No way in hell. Elric is a lot whinier and stupider ("oh hai thar here's a cousin who wants to kill me--I know! I'll put him on the throne while I go away on a soul-searching journey"). That, and he's physically a wimp.

Andhaira

Arcane
But with Stormbringer he's pretty ubAh! Also, even without the demon blade as long he has access to his drugs he is quite competant in man to man kombat.

Elric is the original badass badboy with long white hair and glowing eyez.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Yeah, but there's a pretty big difference between "derived from" and "carbon copy." :P

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Edward_R_Murrow said:
blah blah blah FRIED CHICKEN blah blah blah two cocks rammed up a tight lubed asshole blah blah blah blah DO A FUCKING BARREL ROLL blah blah blah FUCKING GOOKS POLLUTING OUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Man I haven't laughed that lloud in quite a while :lol:

And I agree with your points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom