Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wizardry 8 Enhancements - A Call to Arms!

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Work in progress - Marten's Pagoda
0ab83f71555c4a7c21b93428b737cb4ec281c48ac721935773f3e35f5320d65f6g.jpg

What do you think? Blatant rehash of existing architecture? Clever variation? Meh?

Will add some custom art to make it stand out a bit. Thinking of some more tribal decorations and maybe some new depictions of Marten's deeds. Maybe distinct lighting could do wonders. But my goal is to mesh with vanilla content seamlessly, so don't be afraid of some BOOM AwesomeButUnfittingShit!

So far all was done in Cosmic Forge remixing vanilla assets. But I have finally figured out the Blender obj export with UV mapping, so I will start adding custom objects now. I'd like to make some new, real dungeon from scratch. Matching Wiz8 complexity shouldn't be that difficult. And I've always liked making architecture, starting with papercraft. :)

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The trees are a bit much I think.
I think you would do well to add some floating lamps like those you see in that magic free zone.
It also helps to add some mysticism, which Trynton is chock full of remember.
Perhaps a magic refill fountain of some sort (like on the first level of Trynton, the one that hex's you).
What's going to be in Marten's Pagoda?

Rpgsaurus Rex

Work in progress - Marten's Pagoda
0ab83f71555c4a7c21b93428b737cb4ec281c48ac721935773f3e35f5320d65f6g.jpg

What do you think? Blatant rehash of existing architecture? Clever variation? Meh?

Will add some custom art to make it stand out a bit. Thinking of some more tribal decorations and maybe some new depictions of Marten's deeds. Maybe distinct lighting could do wonders. But my goal is to mesh with vanilla content seamlessly, so don't be afraid of some BOOM AwesomeButUnfittingShit!

So far all was done in Cosmic Forge remixing vanilla assets. But I have finally figured out the Blender obj export with UV mapping, so I will start adding custom objects now. I'd like to make some new, real dungeon from scratch. Matching Wiz8 complexity shouldn't be that difficult. And I've always liked making architecture, starting with papercraft. :)

Nice one!

You might also want to look into the blatantly unfinished areas in the original that need work. For instance, Arnika and its 90% empty housing.

Some modders went over the top and filled them with tasteless crap. (Dodd's, lunastralis)

A simple nice refurbishment with a monster encounter, some interior objects + maybe even a hidden exit/portal to somewhere would be perfect.

DraQ

Arcane
You might also want to look into the blatantly unfinished areas in the original that need work. For instance, Arnika and its 90% empty housing.
I've always thought that inhabitants fled and took their stuff with them, except for those close to the tower who fled as they stood.

There is still this house sealed by HLL, maybe allow player to enter it somehow and find stuff? Was it Marten's?

Rpgsaurus Rex

I've always thought that inhabitants fled and took their stuff with them, except for those close to the tower who fled as they stood.

There is still this house sealed by HLL, maybe allow player to enter it somehow and find stuff? Was it Marten's?

This would make sense, except there is a "fish store", a bank, a blacksmith and an inn - surely they weren't there in a deserted town just waiting for an adventurer party to show up? Well, there are the monks and Higardi patrols, fair enough, but it's still kinda fishy.

In any case, I don't mind the "everyone fled" explanation. It's fine, it makes sense (Savant tower is dangerous), a game is an abstraction etc. But - from a gameplay perspective - why not fill at least a few (not all) abandoned houses with some content, like monster encounters, hidden items and such? As it is, it's just "open door => empty house", "open door => empty house", 10+ times. A wasted opportunity IMO. Don't go full-on tacky "every house must have imba vendor/item" a la Dodd/lunastralis, but you get my drift.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Playing with textures...
2c3510de427fa40cc2de35ff1f8282e5abddbca9effa72dbc75ab2f104c67dc26g.jpg

Thanks for being honest, since my own perception is jaded after hours spent with those meshes.

Arnika - yes! I think some furniture will be a nice start with imported geometry before I start something bigger.

And any ideas are welcome
-new areas
-expanded existing areas
-new encounters and loot found in new areas, to make sense and preferably contribute to the story

EDIT: alternate starts - great idea, I'll look into it. I'll try to make it play the apropriate intro as well.
And what about the ring? Should we "emulate" Wiz6 export too?

Rpgsaurus Rex

I'm not so keen about "alternate start" idea personally, as that means at least 2 areas in-game that are closed/uninteresting to other playthroughs (for being too low level). With unlimited modding resources (mainly, time) it would be great, sure, but IMO it's better not to overextend one's goals so much and focus on creating a great one-time (albeit linear, yes...) experience as opposed to several good ones.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That looks much better actually.
I would suggest some enemies of some sort.
The place is probably a bit holy to the Trynnies, so maybe some oak saplings or some such.
What are you going to put in there?

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
I was thinking of:

a) guardians of the sacred place as you suggest. The building could have a 10 tumbler lock, keeping low level parties out, so the battle could be considerably harder than the rest of Trynton.
b) Savant's servants who are after Marten's secret, the player could get another hint at Savant's plans from them.

Still hoping for something better, more spectacular, but fitting. It definitely needs to be tied to the story at least a little, or its presence will never feel natural.

Items found in there will most likely include some Monk equipment. Maybe some bard instrument too?

And Blender seems to be good friends with Cosmic Forge after all. Managed to import entire Arnika, and except a few missing textures and trees being upside down, everything looks all right.
Exporting whole areas back is probably stupid, but building everything in Blender, then exporting the new geometry only and placing it in CF all at once still sounds pretty comfortable compared to CF's built-in modelling and texturing tools. Don't get me wrong, it's incredible piece of software and I proclaim Mad God, its creator a genius!

But if the guys who made all these mods used only CF, it's no wonder the new areas look the way they do. Actually, amazing job at times.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Nice, putting guardians there would definitely be good.
I wouldn't suggest a ten tumbler lock.
Rather, I would say put an item in Marten's Bluff or someplace else and make it a key for this location.
Make us do some scouring of the earth for it man!
Besides that, some Monk gear is sorely needed.
Maybe a set or robes, or enchanted Nunchaku. That would be an interesting concept.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
You are right, simple lock is boring.

My first new object:
8ce82ce17480099d3975dc090e196dbce430e76270da7f7feae00af48715ff286g.jpg

Now just some clutter on it...

It may become a cointainer, but I'm not animating the doors.

DraQ

Arcane
This would make sense, except there is a "fish store", a bank, a blacksmith and an inn - surely they weren't there in a deserted town just waiting for an adventurer party to show up?
RPG.
:troll:

Playing with textures...
2c3510de427fa40cc2de35ff1f8282e5abddbca9effa72dbc75ab2f104c67dc26g.jpg

Thanks for being honest, since my own perception is jaded after hours spent with those meshes.
I think it might look better this way, still, maybe try messing around with the layout a bit so that it isn't a rehash of anti-magic courtyard, add some z-axis, think of the purpose of this place:

Is it where Marten was hiding out? Make it fairly utilitarian, a place to live in. Add some possible lookout posts too, Marten was likely wary of his HLL pursuers. Or maybe remove all possible lookout posts instead to emphasize that Destinae Dominus essentially made Marten into the awesomest oracle ever?

Did it serve any role later on? Maybe a Marten memorial - you know how Trynnies love their carved idols?

Anyway, have some clear concept of the place.

EDIT: alternate starts - great idea, I'll look into it. I'll try to make it play the apropriate intro as well.
And what about the ring? Should we "emulate" Wiz6 export too?
I don't see why not. Alternate start content is already in.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
But also, I'd like to point out that I utterly agree with DraQ on the designs in some respects of Marten's Pagoda.
My suggestion however is a bit different.
Keep certain utilitarian aspects of it, yes, but at the same time, Trynnies are nothing if not artistic peoples. I can definitely see them artsying up the place like crazy after Marten left.
Sure, they'd keep alot of the stuff he left behind, writings and such, in pristine condition. Maybe organized into a little library perhaps? He might have been a busy beaver. Who knows how long he really stayed with them.
It might even be haunted by higardi spirits of some sort. Restless spirits that spawn until they're put to rest? Nah, too much like the cemetery.
But putting in ghosts would definitely be a good idea.
So, my ideas?
Ghosts of some sort (the harder type Higardi Spirits) and a library. Could have a few spellbooks and scrolls in there as well, and clues as to where Marten went, maybe a bit of insight into his particular breed of madness (basically knowing everything at once, way too much man).

What type of lock? Just a simple find this and put it here type of lock, like the others. However, my suggestion is to put it someplace different, maybe unexpected. You could put it in the Sea Caves, but that's a bit too high level of a place maybe, maybe too of a wait. I do suggest that, like all Wiz 8 puzzles, minimal hints if any at all be given. Just "you see an empty space. Something square should go here perhaps." yada yada yada.

I also strongly suggest some sort of fountain in there, maybe across from the meditation spot in the center of the pagoda. Gussy that bad boy up with some art, hanging vines, flowers and shit of Trynnie styling.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Rare, but not overly powerful.
Perhaps Psionic books should be given precedence, as they're not too common in the game if I recall.
And Marten is mindsnapped after all.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Awesome ideas, I see the place shaping up nicely...

Starting a new interior from scratch in Blender, for a new crypt in the graveyard.

Just a little proof of concept:

(got lazy with the floor and used vanilla texture, couldn't wait to see it in motion. :lol:

In the end I will most likely make heavy edits to the pagoda as well, seeing that import/export is no big deal.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Kaucukovnik

Whoa, exciting!

Have you thought about making a monastery-like dungeon but mid/late game-oriented? Even a small one would be fantastic, with a puzzle a two, a few monsters groups and a boss encounter + treasure, maybe even a quest piece. I could continue with the ideas, but I'm sure you have your own artistic vision and don't want peasants to interfere. ;)

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Holy cow, you surely are progressing quickly.

All those shitty vapourware crpgs people make so much fuss about should be handed over to you.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks nice. so you are able to make 20 new zones?

What sort of size restrictions do you have.

I always imagined an Island off that zone where you enter the Trynnie Tree house. You know where you climb down that rope and run around the water. Or maybe a pirate cove, no not those kinds of pirates. I'm thinking like space pirates that hide their ships in a cave along the ocean.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That would be pretty interesting actually, pretty fucking cool.
I don't think it needs to be made into a new zone tho. Just edit the existing map appropriately.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Another update, most of the rough architecture is done. 15k vertices, 13k+ faces (before triangulation)
Shots made in Blender so the lighting and shadows will be totally different in-game.

f16a8d5c6a82c06c497461230e8dafaa62e780885b9b48c4fff89722b7329ff96g.jpg

7e4be44f739683af73352e8c0c52b3d61d3cf8de0d9e2487c08cf3a871c6b8486g.jpg

bdd4d1c4993e3f61e3823b7e4e120ff30aa886ccfc95cf4cd45f9bcff6f6a6f36g.jpg

9d9c63713a40f65437dd2a55960e1be55a5c3b375c403db43a4024c1f779e7936g.jpg

The major limitation isn't total polycount, but density. So it's a good idea to put detail-intensive places further apart. Managed to overload the game with several unoptimized statues in one room. The game needs adjajcent geometry compiled into groups, but none of them can exceed 10k triangles for the game to run the area. The room with two knight sarcophagi was such case before optimizations.

I will be making my additions as new zones, because I don't see myself reaching the limit anytime soon, and it should also reduce the risk of me screwing the vanilla content somehow. :lol:

And yes, I plan to use most of these additions as rather late-game stuff that teases you with locked doors for half the game, muhehehe!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom