Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry 8 - surviving high level mobs

Zoo

Novice
That Arnika road was annoying yes, but not to the extent of dropping the game or looking for some cheese tactics online. It's not even that long
I never had trouble with arnika road, but my god, that first giant cricket (forgot his name) did filter me hard on my first playthrough
Maybe the Gregor battle is the hardest in the monastery, but it isn't that hard, if you take your time in this section (without powerplayier grinding). The encounters on the Arnika Road also isn't that hard, but there are too many, you hav few consumables yet, and if you rest, the enemy will respawn. You can run away from the fights to Arnika, it is actually very easy, but tedious. Obviously, it takes shorter time, than fight all of that battles.

Of course, the Gregor fight much harder, if you are underleveled, but then the Arnika Road will be much easier. I think, this is the real answer to your question.

Without much grinding, you can easily get to level 4 or 5 if you pick normal (non hybrid) classes. That gives you enough firepower to be able to defeat him. You can even make him unconscious if he drops his stamina to 0, which can happen somewhat easily. By then you also should have access to at least two bombs, a stink one and a cherry one. That can help. When I fought him I was joined by those crocodiles you meet a bit later in the monastery, that made it somewhat fun, but Gregor is more of a challenge if you are an absolute beginner. Which, to be fair, might be the case for someone dipping their toes into blobbers for the first time, since they might be into W8's presentation a bit more than, say, 6's or 7's. Also, Wizardry 8's systems aren't instantly intuitive, even though everything is properly explained even in game.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Easiest way to deal with Gregor is, of course, to paralyze his ass. Although I guess the spell is not exactly a priority for div casters and odds of having a psionic in your party aren't that great. But he is very dangerous otherwise, and can quickly drop weaker classes.

Terenty

Liturgist
Maybe I got lucky, but I killed Gregor without leaving monastery or grinding, I played on normal difficulty though.

Another thing to the game's credit is that you don't actually have to grind to beat the game. Though again maybe it was my party configuration or normal difficulty that made it easier.

I think Wizardry's class system is flexible enough to be able to say everything works and will be able to carry you to the endgame, but some classes are better at that than others, which doesn't mean those others aren't good enough.

Zoo

Novice
Maybe I got lucky, but I killed Gregor without leaving monastery or grinding, I played on normal difficulty though.

Another thing to the game's credit is that you don't actually have to grind to beat the game. Though again maybe it was my party configuration or normal difficulty that made it easier.
Some areas (especially Old Mine Tunnels and Rapax Castle) have too much enemy groups with frequent respawn. Even if you don't grind for levels, you can call grind even the trespassing. Of course, old blobbers like Might and Magic 1 may have many random battles, but M&M1 has much quicker battles than Wiz8.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

Grinding in the traditional meaning of the word is absolutely unnecessary.

Ditto for skill grinding, although it's technically v. useful for getting the most out of certain classes.

I think Wizardry's class system is flexible enough to be able to say everything works and will be able to carry you to the endgame, but some classes are better at that than others, which doesn't mean those others aren't good enough.
Bigger difference to note is that everyone starts owning at some point, but some classes take much longer time to get there than others and some also need special care to do it properly. Which is fine and the xp requirements are a p. solid indicator, gadgie being the only misleading one (by far the crappiest one early game, but also lowest xp reqs).

Zoo

Novice
If you has a good melee damage dealer (fighter is overpowered for the early game, and my dwarf fighter was a monster even in the endgame), can paralyze (eg. freeze flesh, web) and can buff your party's resistances, you are good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom