Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Chronicles for Windows (PC) - Translation Project to English COMPLETE!!! V0.983b Released!!

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I turned off the sound (from Window's "Mixer") long time ago, so long ago (like several weeks) that now I forgot why. Usually I turn off sound when there's no separate controls for sound effects and music, since constant music starts to grate on my after a while.

EDIT: turned on sound again, put on my headphones to check, and I must say the sound effects are quite weak, and you don't miss much. No constant music, though, so now I wonder why I turned off sound in the first place.

If you're got the game as an ISO its possible there is background music and it just wasn't working due to the way the file was burned

what do you mean?

The ISO I got was in mdf/mds format. The mds is kind of like the cue file I guess and it was too annoying to figure out how to make it work imo so I am just playing the game without whatever sound it is supposed to provide

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Mine came in the same format.
But I purchased a physical disc and burnt the game on it, and the sound effects are working well.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Trying to add this game to mobygames.
Anybody have any idea where i can find a brief game description?Copying previous entries description and modifying gets me immediate fuck no from the anal mods.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't think such a thing exists yet, but how about something like this:
Wizardry Chronicle is Japanese Wizardry game made for the PC. It is very derivate of the original Wizardry games, with a menu town and a maze below to explore, monsters to defeat and items to be found. But it is much bigger and harder than Wizardry 1 and will take a long time to complete.
The game features five races, of which all but Humans are new: Sadeeq, Mirelli, Tairon and Wallbach. There are 15 different character classes, most of them familiar from other Wizardry game. There's no Valkyrie, though. Your characters' sex has no impact on the game at all.

Some final thoughts on the game.

I think I figured out most of the class restrictions:
caKJETq.jpg

When rolling new characters you can get up to 20 bonus points. There's an exceedingly small chance of getting more; I once got 25 and once 30.

If I were to play the game again I think I'd go for the following party, and have all the races represented :

Sadeeq Monarch
Tairon Greater Thief -> Ninja
Wallbach Samurai
Human Bard -> Archer
Mirelli (Tairon if powergaming for better initiative) Mendicin
Tairon Philosopher

Use first Ninja's Tanto found to change Greater Thief to Ninja. Needed due to alignment restrictions, and it's much better to use items to class change since you keep all the stats and levels.

Replace Bard with Archer (the Bard can hang around in the guild and ID items brought back) once monsters start becoming Sleep immune around floor 6. An Archer with a Wilhelm Bow will be of tremendous help against the most annoying monsters in the game: Poison Giants and Death Giants.

EDIT:Wallbacks get a special magic spell, but the idea of a mage with 20 STR and 16 DEX is rather repulsive, so he's better off as a Knight or Samurai who can also cast magic spells. I'd prefer a Samurai since they can wield the Muramasa Blade, while Knights who are almost identical in abiltities don't have any custom items. Not any that I found, at least.
Both the Knight and Samurai get a special lvl 6 spell; the Knight a spell that damages one enemy group and the Samurai a spell the insta kills one enemy, but which of course never works on enemies worthy of that attention.

EDIT 2: Argh! Forgot Wallbacks can't use most armour, so forget about making him a Knight or Samurai.

Last edited:

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
So I got this game working and was excited to play it but I can't get the translation patch to work properly. Anybody have any tips on that?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Did you rename the exe file?

No, am I supposed to?

Come to think of it, it most probably doesn't matter.
But it just seems prudent to me to move the original file to another folder and rename the patched file to the original. And of course replace the item.dat and monster.dat files.
Also, avoid installing in the Program Files folder always helps avoid trouble.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Did you rename the exe file?

No, am I supposed to?

Come to think of it, it most probably doesn't matter.
But it just seems prudent to me to move the original file to another folder and rename the patched file to the original. And of course replace the item.dat and monster.dat files.
Also, avoid installing in the Program Files folder always helps avoid trouble.

When I run the patch exe I don't get the KSS splash screen or any other graphics. I get the text menu to Continue and then I get the town text menus. When I go to the Gate to enter the dungeon I briefly get the hourglass then a full crash. Meanwhile all of the graphics display in the original japanese exe and I am able to enter the dungeon successfully.

Biggus

Scholar

(NOTE: Not the latest patch! Video was recorded while Richard and company were still halfway done. However I thought people reading this thread would like to see the game in action.)

Hey Aweigh, any chance of reupping the vids? I've got this up and running and wouldn't mind a few pointers :)

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
copying this from GameFAQS:

Here's a preliminary list of the classes and their requirements that I whipped up for myself using Cheat Engine to nail down what was what. As far as I found, there are no gender specific classes this time around (i.e. Lord and Valkyrie) and Luck has no bearing on getting any class. I didn't try every race, but I doubt there are any race specific classes. I'm using the shortened names in the list when creating a character, not full class name.

Soldier - Str 11, Alignment All
Mage - Int 11, Alignment All
Priest - Pie 11, Alignment GE
Thief - Dex 11, Alignment NE
Bard - Int 13, Spd 13, Alignment NE
Archer - Str 14, Dex 12, Alignment GE
SwrdMan - Str 15, Vit 11, Spd 11, Alignment NE
Philoso - Int 15, Vit 12, Dex 10, MD 12, Alignment NE
Medicn - Pie 15, Vit 12, Dex 10, MD 12, Alignment GN
GrThief - Int 12, Spd 12, Dex 15, Alignment GE
Knight - Str 13, Int 12, Vit 14, Dex 10, Alignment All
Sam - Str 13, Int 12, Vit 14, Spd 10, Dex 10, Alignment GN
Bishop - Int 14, Pie 14, Vit 12, Dex 12, MD 12, Alignment GE
Monarch - Str 15, Pie 12, Vit 13, Spd 10, Dex 12, MD 10, Alignment G
Ninja - Str 12, Vit 12, Spd 15, Dex 13, MD 10, Alignment E

octavius

Arcane
Patron
copying this from GameFAQS:

Here's a preliminary list of the classes and their requirements that I whipped up for myself using Cheat Engine to nail down what was what. As far as I found, there are no gender specific classes this time around (i.e. Lord and Valkyrie) and Luck has no bearing on getting any class. I didn't try every race, but I doubt there are any race specific classes. I'm using the shortened names in the list when creating a character, not full class name.

Soldier - Str 11, Alignment All
Mage - Int 11, Alignment All
Priest - Pie 11, Alignment GE
Thief - Dex 11, Alignment NE
Bard - Int 13, Spd 13, Alignment NE
Archer - Str 14, Dex 12, Alignment GE
SwrdMan - Str 15, Vit 11, Spd 11, Alignment NE
Philoso - Int 15, Vit 12, Dex 10, MD 12, Alignment NE
Medicn - Pie 15, Vit 12, Dex 10, MD 12, Alignment GN
GrThief - Int 12, Spd 12, Dex 15, Alignment GE
Knight - Str 13, Int 12, Vit 14, Dex 10, Alignment All
Sam - Str 13, Int 12, Vit 14, Spd 10, Dex 10, Alignment GN
Bishop - Int 14, Pie 14, Vit 12, Dex 12, MD 12, Alignment GE
Monarch - Str 15, Pie 12, Vit 13, Spd 10, Dex 12, MD 10, Alignment G
Ninja - Str 12, Vit 12, Spd 15, Dex 13, MD 10, Alignment E

Whaaat? How long has this info been available?
It sure as hell would have helped me two months ago. :negative:

sejtano

Barely Literate
Still, dungeon isnt working properly. I will try it on my laptop

I couldn't make it work using DxWnd too. No matter which version I tried. I got either a black dungeon or black dungeon with white walls, no textures or anything.

I found a solution posted on the DxWnd forum though:

Quoting:

> NullAnnos - 2017-01-21

> Pretty cool game. I looked into how to fix the dungeon not rendering correctly ( I had the same issue ) and found a fix. It doesn't use dxwnd and I can't seem to force it into a window but at least > it works perfectly.

> Grab dgvoodoo2 and paste the dll's into the game's directory and it should work without changing any of the settings. I tried to get the game to scale to 1080p through the setup for dgvoodoo2 > but that just caused crashing, so I don't think that'll work.

I did exactly that. I copied the DLLs from dgvoodoo v2.7, the MS/x86 directory, directly into the game's directory and it seems to be working.
It also seems to be a lighter solution to me.

Matt `da Wolf

Barely Literate
I've tried getting this to work within a VM without any success on Windows 7, 10, and 11. Tried it on a PC with Windows 10, using wincdemu. I get the error message about that dll when I first started so I made sure to put it in system and system32. I click on the app to start and I get nothing to signify anything happening.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom