Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry & Disco Elysium: how are these games the same genre?

They're in different subgenres.

Wizardry is a first-person dungeon crawler blobber( Might and Magic , bard's tale, Ettian Odyssey ). Disco Elysium is a RPG-novel (text heavy rpg) like Planet escape: Torment, Torment Tides of Numenera, Xenogears, The legend of heroes, Persona 4.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Disco Elysium is a RPG-novel (text heavy rpg) like Planet escape: Torment

Please dude

DE is not a text-heavy RPG, as there is no combat (in other words it's an adventure game)
PST is not a text-heavy RPG, you never played PST. It was ridden with trash mobs, it was combat-heavy, the text heavy thing is a myth by people who never played it
all the other titles you mentioned (Numenera, Xenogears, etc.) have combat. Disco doesn't.

I've only played a bit of PST, all i recall is a lot of text. I've never played Disco Elysium, so i made assumptions from what i've seen and heard from the game.

I disagree, If fallout 1 had no combat, it would still be a RPG since there's multiple ways to solve quests and stuff with non-combat stats\skills.

To make a non-combat RPG you need to make non-combat stats\skills to matter in different situations like in Fallout 1.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'll go so far as to say you can have a CRPG without combat, even if it's never been done. The reason Disco Elysium doesn't count is that your build makes no significant difference to the gameplay, and as such the game is essentially just reading. No matter what you do with your skills and attributes, you can't solve the case until you've been to the tribunal and until Klaasje tells you to go to the island. Everything before that is flavour text.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I disagree, If fallout 1 had no combat, it would still be a RPG since there's multiple ways to solve quests and stuff with non-combat skills.

Solving stuff (?) is not a principal tenet of RPGs.

CRPGs came from TTRPGs, and TTRPGs came from wargaming, so they need to have combat systems.

I disagree, If fallout 1 had no combat, it would still be a RPG since there's multiple ways to solve quests and stuff with non-combat skills.

Solving stuff (?) is not a principal tenet of RPGs.

CRPGs came from TTRPGs, and TTRPGs came from wargaming, so they need to have combat systems.

You can play non-combat campaigns in tabletop RPGs. it's all depends on what the DM and players want. The original idea from TTRPGs is to create a narrative and role-play characters in it. It can go anywhere after that. Now, most TTRPGS are combat focused indeed, but even in a combat focused TTRPG like D&D you can still play non-combat campaigns, if you want.

Latro

Arcane
There's a plethora of actual adventure games out there with more involved stats and character builds than DE; it's quite simply that za/um latched on to "RPG" because it came out of a PNP session + lucrative advertising. Adventure/Visual Novel games are a second tier genre in the industry, billing it as RPG and "in the fashion of such epics as planet escape torment" just helped it sell more copies. Helps that za/um was financed by some billionaire mogul that lined pockets of professional paid reviewers.

Can't sell your shitty novels normally, so sell it through a game-studio and make bank.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
They're not. DE isn't a RPG. A good game, but not a RPG.

People who have not played Age of Decadence in full combat route have never really played AoD tbh.
It can be said that people who have not played AoD in full diplomat route have never really played it as well. Because the game is meant to be replayed multiple times, experienced with different approaches each try. It's a very specific game, you don't beat it once and say "Yeah, I got the AoD experience".

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One is a CRPG derived from the tradition of dungeon delving RPGs, with emphasis on combat, defeating and escaping the dungeon and amassing treasure. The other is a CRPG derived from the tradition of storytelling RPGs, with emphasis on developing a character inside a story - constructing his motivations, his relationship with the world and other characters - while achieving story defined goals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom