Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

wizardry, ultima, etc.

kosie99

Novice
I am sure you all had this discussion before, but I don't want to search. Lazy, you see...

Of all the "old" RPGs, pre-fallout, PST and BG1, which one stand out to you as the bestest one evar?

Wizardry 7? Or is it an Ultima one?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Binary said:
Most people would agree on Ultima 7

A bold and unsubstantiated claim, sir.

(Anyway, don't most people think that Ultima 7-2 is better?)

A user named cat

I'd say Betrayal at Krondor. Or Lands of Lore, though it's more of an adventure game.

Andhaira

Arcane
I personally like Star Trail followed almost immediately by U7. However, U7 was the better game; it had better grafix, animations, dialogue, npc interaction, world interaction, etc. That game was far, far ahead of its time.(It was the first game EVER to be COMPLETETLY interface-less. ANd totally mouse driven. Back in 1992!)

The resolution for the time was amazing as well. As was the fact that there was NO loading during the entire game.Yep, a totally free roaming world, row a boat, captain a ship, dirve a cart, ride a horse, enter homes, enter dungeons, cast spells, use magic caarpets, etc with no loading screen.! (I think dungeon siege was the only other game to manage this after U7; though U8 may have been load-free as well)

Andhaira

Arcane
In 1992, that was pretty amazing. As wass being completely load free, open non-linear world, vehicles, no interface AT ALL, totlaly mouse-driven, interactive world... etc.

Name one game other than U7, U72 that has all those features even today.

I am of course most amazed by Ultima 7, but that game is still the one I admire above anything else when it comes to making the gameworld feel alive. When it comes to story I think Betrayal at Krondor is the best one from the pre-Torment era. It's also the best written RPG until Torment. But when it comes to simple dungeon crawling made fun for the whole family then nothing can beat Might and Magic series. Lands of Lore and Eye of the Beholder 2 are also wonderful.

As to Wizardry or Realms of Arkania, those games are just too complex for my taste.

Section8

Cipher
Ultima Underworld, without a doubt. Simply an amazing game on all levels, and unmatched as a FPRPG nearly 15 years on. Otherwise:

As a dungeon crawl, probably Wizardry 7. As a living world, Ultima 7. As a story-based game, Betrayal at Krondor.

BigWeather

Augur
Ultima V or VII, though IV still has a soft spot in my heart. Also great memories of Wasteland, but that may be residual fuzzies.

SkeleTony

Augur
ecliptic said:
I prefer U6 personally.

I was going to say...

Oops! Scratch that. I read that as U5 at first. u5 was impressive. u6...not so much IIRC.

Binary

Liturgist
cardtrick said:
Binary said:
Most people would agree on Ultima 7

A bold and unsubstantiated claim, sir.

(Anyway, don't most people think that Ultima 7-2 is better?)

I personally prefer Ultima 7 part 2 to Ultima 7, but I can perfectly distinguish which one is the better game (in contrast to the codexers that answer "Fallout" or "PST" to any question regarding RPGs)

I stand by my claim that if you gather votes from a representation of people that have played cRPGs throughout their history, Ultima 7 would win.

Educated
Phantasmal said:
I'd say Betrayal at Krondor. Or Lands of Lore, though it's more of an adventure game.

Ahem, no it's not. I like both genres and I can't see an adventure game fan getting anything out of this game. Lands of Lore is just EOB with a storyline, that doesn't make it an adventure game. RPG all the way (dungeon crawler to be exact).

The best in my eyes is Ultima VII, and I consider both parts as one game (meant to be played that way anyway). Mostly because I don't like discussions about which is "better" since they both have their own qualities.

Krondor would probably be a damn close one, along with Planescape and Fallout for me. For jap RPGs (even though I know most here probably hate em) I'd say Chrono Trigger.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From the "older" RPGs? I'd say Might and Magic 4 + 5. Good old dungeon crawling fun that hasn't been as difficult as the Wizardries [which were a challenge, though, and a pleasant one at that] and just plain fun, with good artwork. There are many other DOS RPGs that are probably better, but from the top of my head I'd pick M&M World of Xeen as the most fun of them.

Rondel.

Novice
There is SNES version of Ultima VII. Is it worth playing? Do you know some good old crpg ports?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Shit, I liked Ultima VI for SNES, wasn't bad.

Ultima V still has the soft spot in my heart, and is still relatively playable. I am trying to get through Ultima IV and I am getting a little bored. I guess I am a big whore. I couldn't make it through Wasteland again either, though I played the shit out of it back then.

But yeah, Ultima VII is great.

Rondel.

Novice
Jasede said:
No it's not. Good ports? Sega Master System (2), Ultima IV.
Thanks! It is my first Ultima (well, first from single player series :)), and im impressed :). Winter Holidays are coming, so I will try to finish this game and some other titles as well :).

cardtrick

Arbiter
Hey -- this is only marginally off topic. I remember someone (Jasede?) posting fairly recently about the pros/cons of Wizardry VII vs. Wizardry Gold, but neither a forum search nor a quick Google search turned up the thread. Could anyone tell me what the differences are? Do both have skill-based automapping? Is one buggy? Etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom