Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst E3 ever?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Adventure games were on consoles since forever

Scooby+Doo+Mystery_002.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Adventure games were on consoles since forever

Scooby+Doo+Mystery_002.jpg
That's from 95, and a rare exception. I had that game, and god it was BAD. Puzzles with time limit + PC controls badly ported on a Genesis made this game annoying as hell.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I also remember 3DO having some FMV adventures with pixel hunting and no combat

Resident Evil and Silent Hill are your typical console adventures as well.

JimProfit

Barely Literate
th_Shikamaru.jpg

Honestly, all the E3s suck. It's just one big circle jerk for the companies, without tackling any of the tough questions. Honestly... if the interviewers actually press an issue against the industry, it's accidental. Like Morgan Webb. Poor girl... when the slut doesn't have a dick in her mouth, she doesn't know what to do, and just starts blurting out words. Like when she revealed PS3 had no games, PSP had no games, so why would this new model be any different?

So then there was ten seconds of awkward silence, and then a change of the subject. Because Sony knows it cannot keep a promise that any of their systems will have a decent library of games. See... this is why they should jump on exclusives more often. Pay a little more to get exclusive rights, instead of multiplatforming everything. It's honestly difficult to tell one system from another at the current rate it's going.

But honestly... how can you expect E3 to be good, when gaming hasn't been good since 1998? You kids will never know what it's like to have decent video games. How is it before we had fucking internet, our N64 and PS1 generation was still light years ahead of you in creativity and fun factor?

If you Minecraft hipsters want to play a REAL game. Download a ROM of LSD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6YWbTSGFLQ

MetalCraze

Arcane
PS1 era? Best in consoles?

PS1 era killed what was best in consoles.

Instead of light arcades we started getting retarded action crap

Ermm

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
PS1 era? Best in consoles?

PS1 era killed what was best in consoles.

Instead of light arcades we started getting retarded action crap

To each his own. It didn't harmed PC's, and N64 had these ''light'' arcades.

And what is that what you call retarded action crap?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Consoles had its own genres that were good - especially arcades/platformers. With PS1 and its 3D genres were ruined while non-console genres started to get popularized there - like shooters and strategies.

In the long run it did hurt PC gaming.
The difference is that games were ported from PC to consoles - but console devs started to try to copy non-console-genres on noticeable levels at that time.

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/p ... n/shooter/

Like take this list of console shooters for PS1

Either ports from PC that don't fit or "clones" of them made with PS1 in mind = crap.

Syphon Filter, Mission Impossible, Fifth Element and especially Metal Gear Solid are but few examples of that console crap.

Ermm

Erudite
Syphon Filter was pretty good at time (and still is). Ahh, I forgot, it is not ARMA so it sucks.

MetalCraze said:
Consoles had its own genres that were good - especially arcades/platformers. With PS1 and its 3D genres were ruined while non-console genres started to get popularized there - like shooters and strategies.

In the long run it did hurt PC gaming.
The difference is that games were ported from PC to consoles - but console devs started to try to copy non-console-genres on noticeable levels at that time.

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/p ... n/shooter/

Like take this list of console shooters for PS1

Either ports from PC that don't fit or "clones" of them made with PS1 in mind = crap.

Syphon Filter, Mission Impossible, Fifth Element and especially Metal Gear Solid are but few examples of that console crap.

HA. Yeah, before that everything was hugely different? Very first Metal Gear was a kingturd (and PS1 Metal Gear is much better)
So Mission Impossible for PS1 was bad? Try out NES version.
Want more kingturd movie licensed shit (since you mentioned them)? It had plenty before ps1 era.

And who cares about shooters for PS1? LOOOOOOLLLLLLL. It had a few at best. Almost nothing, except first Medal Of Honors, REALLY mattered for this console. And from that list half of these games I have never heard of, or they are some japanese only stuff. And chunk of them are compilations of older games.
But since you mentioned, Quake 2 was actually a good port (it had a more varied color palette), Doom for PS1 was actually good (with a good soundtrack), Medal of Honors for PS1 actually were maybe the best WW2 shooters after Wolfenstein (does that count as WW2 shooter?).

And it didn't hurted PC. There are only some really ''obscure'' clones made with PS1 in mind. And as I said, shooters on PS1 were released almost once in a blue moon.
And what about Doom for the SNES? SNES raped that game, but PS1 port was on par with PC (especially if you don't care about multiplayer.)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

MetalCraze

Arcane
Rasputin said:
Syphon Filter was pretty good at time (and still is). Ahh, I forgot, it is not ARMA so it sucks.
No it's just primitive

HA. Yeah, before that everything was hugely different? Very first Metal Gear was a kingturd (and PS1 Metal Gear is much better)
Want more kingturd movie licensed shit (since you mentioned them)? It had plenty before ps1 era.

You seem to miss the point. Games weren't going into non-console territory on NES and Genesis.
With PS1 rare exceptions started to become standard. Dumbed down shooters started to appear and stay that way. They started to become popular. The point is - since then dumbed down shooters killed even more genres and now overwhelm the market.

And who cares about shooters for PS1? LOOOOOOLLLLLLL. It had a few at best. Almost nothing, except first Medal Of Honors, REALLY mattered for this console.
Apparently many people cared. Otherwise PS1 wouldn't be getting them every year along with other action-ey games not even holding a candle to PC, while arcades, the bread and butter of console gaming, started to become secondary or ruined by trying to be TPS (see Contra)

And what about Doom for the SNES? SNES raped that game, but PS1 port was on par with PC (especially if you don't care about multiplayer.

You miss a point quite a bit here.

Ermm

Erudite
Rasputin said:

No it's just primitive

Like your light gun arcades?

You seem to miss the point. Games weren't going into non-console territory on NES and Genesis.
With PS1 rare exceptions started to become standard. Dumbed down shooters started to appear and stay that way. They started to become popular. The point is - since then dumbed down shooters killed even more genres and now overwhelm the market.

Shit hit the fan in PS2. Did PS1 hurted Deus Ex? Unreal? No. Xbox and PS2 - yes (Thief 3, Deus Ex 2). And PS1 library of shooters was miniscule compared to PC, and consoles of today. And as I said, most in that list was a shit that was torn apart in reviews, or are just simply there (Army Men? Realllllyyyy?).
And large part of shooters were ported FROM PC not CONSOLE TO PC.

And who cares about shooters for PS1? LOOOOOOLLLLLLL. It had a few at best. Almost nothing, except first Medal Of Honors, REALLY mattered for this console.
Apparently many people cared. Otherwise PS1 wouldn't be getting them every year along with other action-ey games not even holding a candle to PC, while arcades, the bread and butter of console gaming, started to become secondary or ruined by trying to be TPS (see Contra)

Third Person Contra is a thing of a past, long forgotten. Who still remembers that abominatiion of Contra?
And actually TPS Duke Nukem Time To Kill was better than DNF. Sure, it wasnt DN3D, but it was alright. About arcades, well it's library shrunk, but PS1 had some great ones also.

P.S. Damn quotes.

MetalCraze

Arcane
PS1 actually hurt PC. And console gaming too.
PS2 and XBox were merely a consequence. They started having crappy shooters and action games upon release and many too.

PS1 with its terrible catalogue of crap just showed that anything sells.

PS1-to-PC crap game ports started appearing before PS2 and XBox.

And as I said, most in that list was a shit that was torn apart in reviews
Most games on any platform are shit. It's the crap-to-good ratio that counts which on PS1 was 10000:1. And you just agreed.

However crap wouldn't be released if it didn't sell.

or are just simply there (Army Men? Realllllyyyy?).

Army Men is a decline crap too. And yes it also had a TPS version.

And large part of shooters were ported FROM PC not CONSOLE TO PC.
Isn't that what I wrote?
Remember my point? "PS1 started having games that shouldn't have been there and cause console clones to appear - which later started to get ported to PC as well". PS1 was the turning point of crap going the other way.

Third Person Contra is a thing of a past, long forgotten. Who still remembers that abominatiion of Contra?
Once I showed a Pripyat screenshot from CoDMW together with its HUD to a CoD fanboy - and he didn't recognize the game even though it came out just 4 years ago. True story.

Remembering doesn't have anything to do with the argument at hand.

And actually TPS Duke Nukem Time To Kill was better than DNF

Big achievement.

Ermm

Erudite
You just showed a list which was full of games that didn't mattered to anything. It was full of games and bad ports, long forgotten, and forgotten even before released.

As I said, big chunk of ''shooters'' there were some Activision classics, Collectovision classics etc.etc.

And about from ps1 to pc ports, it was just MOSTLY A STUFF that didn't really mattered to anything.
Ok, they ported some Resident Evils, Dino Crisis etc., so WHAT?

But Playstation 1 also had a great deal less of declining. And about from PC to PS1 ports, I meant that in the process of porting PC games to PS1, they were not dumbed down.
Like Warzone 2100. Yes, strategy game on PS, OMG, but it was a very good port.

In the PS2 era, developers started to act like fucking JACKASSES. Onimusha 3 port to PC controls were described like on PS2, so at one place when I had to make a move and I had to press R1 and O+god knows what, I was like WTF?

And yes I have difficulty understanding you. This is also going to nowhere (like when talking about bugs of ARMA), so just let's make it even.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
MetalCraze said:
I also remember 3DO having some FMV adventures with pixel hunting and no combat

The 3DO was a niche system -- it cost around $500+ (in mid 1990's dollars so possibly closer to $700 today).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Rasputin said:
You just showed a list which was full of games that didn't mattered to anything. It was full of games and bad ports, long forgotten, and forgotten even before released.
Yes of course it was. That's why they kept releasing them for 6 years.

And about from ps1 to pc ports, it was just MOSTLY A STUFF that didn't really mattered to anything.
Ok, they ported some Resident Evils, Dino Crisis etc., so WHAT?

Porting simplified crap to PC which was the beginning of the end is not enough?

But Playstation 1 also had a great deal less of declining.
Yes it only started the decline.

In the PS2 era, developers started to act like fucking JACKASSES. Onimusha 3 port to PC controls were described like on PS2, so at one place when I had to make a move and I had to press R1 and O+god knows what, I was like WTF?

And Silent Hill 1 ran through an emulator which was worse.
Why are you starting to go on about the port quality?
Crappy ports don't ruin gaming. Making games for people with dual-digit IQ does.

And yes I have difficulty understanding you. This is also going to nowhere (like when talking about bugs of ARMA), so just let's make it even.
Of course it is going nowhere. I'm giving you examples of PS1 crap being crap starting crap, yet you keep talking about quality of PS2 ports and hundreds of PS1 decline games not mattering to you

Metro said:
The 3DO was a niche system -- it cost around $500+ (in mid 1990's dollars so possibly closer to $700 today).

Ugh... and?

Repressed Homosexual
Vita made up for a lot of it. Damn I want one. It's the penultimate handheld system.

And what's with these obtuse Skyway posts about "oh the PS1 ruined gaming, it had too much crap on it!"? I think someone forgets all the horrible shovelware that was present on... well, on every console (and computer) system ever. Look at the library of any cartridge based system, and it's basically an orgy of licensed games which copied Mario or the action game du jour.

The only difference with the PS1 is the introduction of pressed CDs as the medium, it favored third parties because the cost of every copy was lower, and it was possible to make a higher output of games as a consequence.

Also, what? He'd have preferred simplistic arcade-based games forever? It's only normal that as the media capacity increased developers would try to venture into new genres. Also it has absolutely nothing to do with the PlayStation, it simply happened to be the dominant system at the time.

I think if you gave Skyway a 24K gold bar, he'd still find a way to be angry.

Renegen

Arcane
Wasn`t the PS2 the best console? It had some really niche games, although a lot of them had japanese influences. It was such a widely sold piece of hardware that it covered all genres. Then the publishers didnt like that Sony was making too much money off its PS2 monopoly and they decided to promote the 2 headed dragon we have today of the X-Box 360 and PS3...

Same story for the PC. What`s good for consumersm choice, is bad for publishers.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Renegen said:
Wasn`t the PS2 the best console? It had some really niche games, although a lot of them had japanese influences. It was such a widely sold piece of hardware that it covered all genres. Then the publishers didnt like that Sony was making too much money off its PS2 monopoly and they decided to promote the 2 headed dragon we have today of the X-Box 360 and PS3...

Same story for the PC. What`s good for consumersm choice, is bad for publishers.
True, the PS2 had so many games that it all depends on how you are looking at it. Any point you make will have lots of examples upholding or denying you.

Ermm

Erudite
To Metalcraze: I already said it to stop this nonsense, and to answer your guestion, no, you didn't convinced me of anything you said. I can't see how PS1 hurt PC, since PC released good stuff to at least 2002, but I know I am talking to a brick wall, so don't quote this, ok?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom