Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst E3 ever?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I've been following E3s for many years now and this one really disapointed me. Heres why:

- Nintendo did the WORST presentation ever made by man, showing just the Wii U controller, making people think it was just an Wii controller. Also, all the games shown were running on Xbox or PS3, and some of the announced games, like Smash Brothers hasnt even BEGUN to be developed.

- Sony had good games, but most were already shown before, or just another sequel (most of E3 was made of "3" games - Ninja Gaiden 3, Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 3, MW 3, FarCry3, etc...). PSVita was "okay".

- Xbox was just the same games that PS3, but with Kinetic. :?

- PC games, as always, were just an "also available on PC" collection of ports.

Although we got 2 new consoles revealed this E3, it was quite boring. No surprises, just sequels and bad presentations. So, did I just wacthed the bad parts, or did it really sucked?

MetalCraze

Arcane
felipepepe said:

PC exclusives:

Crusader Kings 2 (global strategy)
ArmA3 (tactical shooter)
Take On (chopper sim)
Iron Front (tactical WW2 shooter)
King Arthur 2 (fantasy total war)
Torchlight 2 (h'n's)
Sword of the Stars 2 (strategy) <<< many are relatively high budget titles too

maybe add Red Orchestra 2 (MP shooter) into the mix although it wasn't there

Possible "made-with-PC-in-mind-first":

Risen 2 (action-adventure)
Carrier Command (FPRTS)

And I'm sure I missed some

Yes PC gaming is in deep shit if you'll look only at big console booths.

MMXI

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
felipepepe said:

PC exclusives:

ArmA3 (tactical shooter)
Take On (chopper sim)

Carrier Command (FPRTS)

No RPGs.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, it seems the only games created towards PC now are Strategy or Adventure games. Or MMOs.

And still they were already annouced before, so no surprises at E3.

MetalCraze

Arcane
MMXI said:

Yeah well. Who cares about them anymore. Dead for years now.

felipepepe said:
Yeah, it seems the only games created towards PC now are Strategy or Adventure games. Or MMOs.
If you'll ignore 3 FPS I've named that is. And a hack'n'slash. Which may be good too in their respective genres.
Also I don't see how strategies = bad? Paradox is inclining steadily with what they make and what they publish.

Have you noticed how for once many upcoming PC exclusive titles are quite high-profile and not some underground indie games with no budgets? Guess we finally got enough gaming vacuum thanks to everyone moving to do retarded console shooters and action games (also known as RPGs today because all of them have those +10 hp unlocks) - and now it's slowly being filled by proper games and they do sell too.

And still they were already annouced before, so no surprises at E3.
There was not a single announcement on E3 that people didn't know about.
E3 is just to showcase games (in case of good games) or give a developer concert (in case of retarded Ubisoft presentation with that unfunny clown and some douchebag standing with a gamepad in front of a big CoDMW3 screen like this is some fucking massive gig)

Ermm

Erudite
Just saw a video of new Tomb Raider. Similar to Hitman in terms what developers of the game consider as ''innovation.''
C'mon, items that needs to be used for puzzle solving are highlighted now.
Of course everyone knows it is not dumbing down. It is ''time consuming,'' ''not enough cinematic,'' ''boring'', ''not enough buttons of awesum'', ''streamlined but enough for hardcore fans to enjoy'' etcetc.

Why do I get the idea that all modern developers have read the same ''lie up to your ass dictionary'' books?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rasputin said:
Why do I get the idea that all modern developers have read the same ''lie up to your ass dictionary'' books?

It's called a marketing textbook.

Achilles

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
felipepepe said:

PC exclusives:

ArmA3 (tactical shooter)
Take On (chopper sim)
Torchlight 2 (h'n's)

Carrier Command (FPRTS)

An excellent post Skyway, bravo :salute:. People really need to look beyond the popamole.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
E3 hasn't been good for many years now. First it got derailed with all the booth babes and schwag. Now it's being derailed with shit that has nothing to do with video games, like hurr partner ships with netflix and AT&T.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Alexandros said:
MetalCraze said:
felipepepe said:

PC exclusives:

ArmA3 (tactical shooter)
Take On (chopper sim)
Torchlight 2 (h'n's)

Carrier Command (FPRTS)

An excellent post Skyway, bravo :salute:. People really need to look beyond the popamole.

What are you talking about? There's just 10 titles on that list and 7 are sequels(one a bog standard budget H&S, another just a continuation of the conveyor belt shovelware from BI), another is a remake and there's a crappy heli sim in there as well. Man, the PC industry is ABSOLUTELY THRIVING!

J1M

Arcane
The only reason they keep E3 running is because they don't want to admit that PAX is better.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why do people expect anything different from E3? The PAX conferences usually have the most PC-centric titles.

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
What are you talking about? There's just 10 titles on that list and 7 are sequels(one a bog standard budget H&S, another just a continuation of the conveyor belt shovelware from BI) , another is a remake and there's a crappy heli sim in there as well. Man, the PC industry is ABSOLUTELY THRIVING!
Since when did you start disliking sequels? Also "you just watched gameplay videos and read reviews you can't criticize but the game I criticize has next to nothing info about it and it's ok"? Why do you suddenly care about PC gaming? Weren't you going to tear me a new one when I dared to point out how crappy console pollution that is TW2 was?

And yes these sequels bring more new in them with each one than whatever copy-pasted console crap is shock and awe of GRP/GD/ this month.

But you are totally right - as we all know on the Codex the quantity is an indication of a given platform's health, not quality.

Lunac

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
felipepepe said:

PC exclusives:

ArmA3 (tactical shooter)
Take On (chopper sim)
Torchlight 2 (h'n's)

Carrier Command (FPRTS)

Crusader Kings 2? Got the first one. I want my money bak!

ArmA3? Got the first one. Was told the game was tops. I want my money bak! Luckily had the brains, ignored the hype, and tried the demo for the 2nd one and avoided that bullet.

Sword of the Stars. Got the first one. Motherfuking hell do I want my money bak! This shit is a game? It sure plays like a unfinished pre-alpha shit devs send to publishers, except it got published right away in such format.

The rest?

Take On? A helo sim, a civilian helo sim, where you can walk around your civilian and unarmed helo and take screenshots? I thought you could do this in X-Plane titles since mid 90s.

Torchlight 2? Screams console, except they couldn't find a way to pimp that shit onto any consoles.

Iron Front? ARMA circa WWII is that you? WTF is a "tactical WW2 shooter"? Is that fancy for piece shit WW2 shooter?

King Arthur? WTF?!

Risen 2? Shit!!!!

Carrier Command? FPRTS? RTS as a genre died around 2002. What is this zombified shit?

So many ??????? so little time.

MetalCraze

Arcane
By the "PC = primary platform"-hype speak they mean that it will have fancier shaders and better textures on PC with 64 p multiplayer but another SP campaign riped off from CoD - but wasn't it exactly the same for BFBC2?

Technically you can add it too though

RatFink

Educated

frogwares new sherlock holmes adventure is multi platform...complete with walking around..looking for clues..AND THEN: SUDDENLY LOKKING GLASSES APPEARING at points of interest plus a pop up of yellow, green and red buttons and a description of the action they perform :(

...game over man...GAME OVER! ..they found adventure games..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom