Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst RPGs All Time?

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Wait did Eye of the Beholder 3 not merit a mention

DaveO

Erudite
Yes, but not enough votes to hit "cutoffs". No mention in the old 2012 thread on my new tabulation. The other two threads may be different.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Have you guys played Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Slayer for the 3DO? It's the second best DND-based game on the 3DO.

This game has randomly generated levels that all look the same!

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
idk bro, are you going to argue with professional video game critics?
Ahmed Kamal Nava said:
BEST real-time strategy game Winner: Total Annihilation Other choices:
Lords of Magic, Dungeon Keeper Total Annihilation is undoubtedly the
most impressive strategy game I've played with many different types
of units (new ones being made every week) all made up of polygons.

The illusion of depth in the terrain was very convincing as well as
the fact that all those polygons on screen didn't require a lot of
processing power.

Best role-playing game Winner: Descent to Undermountain Other
choices: Lands of Lore 2, Shadows Over Riva Utilising the Descent
engine and the AD&D rules, Descent to Undermountain is a very
impressive piece of work with great replay value.
Yeah, bro, who are you to argue about the opinion of some random Malaysian writer that I'm sure is highly respected in his homeland. Pfft!
Yes, that's an actual quote from that writer. There's more, but I ain't paying for the rest of it.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Ahmed Kamal Nava said:
BEST real-time strategy game Winner: Total Annihilation Other choices:
Lords of Magic, Dungeon Keeper Total Annihilation is undoubtedly the
most impressive strategy game I've played with many different types
of units (new ones being made every week) all made up of polygons.

The illusion of depth in the terrain was very convincing as well as
the fact that all those polygons on screen didn't require a lot of
processing power.

Best role-playing game Winner: Descent to Undermountain Other
choices: Lands of Lore 2, Shadows Over Riva Utilising the Descent
engine and the AD&D rules, Descent to Undermountain is a very
impressive piece of work with great replay value.
Yeah, bro, who are you to argue about the opinion of some random Malaysian writer that I'm sure is highly respected in his homeland. Pfft!
Yes, that's an actual quote from that writer. There's more, but I ain't paying for the rest of it.

...this is a massive disservice to Total Annihilation holy shit

It's the second best DND-based game on the 3DO.
Going to go out on a limb and guess the 3DO only has two D&D games?

Didn't know it had ANY. 3DO's library was pretty fucking sparse and the only deece games on it I can even remember were Bladeforce, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (and you had to get an aftermarket pad with 6 buttons to play it properly) and Gex

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
3DO's library was pretty fucking sparse and the only deece games on it I can even remember were Bladeforce, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (and you had to get an aftermarket pad with 6 buttons to play it properly) and Gex

3DO had a few other decent games. Road Rash was dope. Also, the only console port of Star Control 2 (which the Ur-Quan Masters fan project is based on btw).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Didn't know it had ANY. 3DO's library was pretty fucking sparse and the only deece games on it I can even remember were Bladeforce, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (and you had to get an aftermarket pad with 6 buttons to play it properly) and Gex
I haven't touched anything 3DO related, but it seems to have quite a few decent and surprising PC ports. And I've heard people speak fondly of Captain Quasar.
Still better than the Jaguar CD. The only exclusive that isn't a sequel to a regular Jaguar game or a remake is Highlander - Last of the MacLeods.
Road Rash was dope.
Isn't that technically better than the PC version, which was mostly the same as that version but was missing a few music tracks?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Descent to Undermountain
Ahmed Kamal Nava of the New Straits Times called it the best role-playing game of 1997.[9]
Lordy that game was awful. Such wasted potential and such a shame to all of Waterdeep and esp Undermountain. Halaster, himself, didn't want to be caught dead in that game.

As to the 3DO...
Qzjjqi0.jpg

LW8boQF.jpg

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Isn't that technically better than the PC version, which was mostly the same as that version but was missing a few music tracks?

I wasn't aware of the differences between the PC and the 3DO versions, so I did a quick search. Apparently it had online multiplayer on PC. Not sure how that worked.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I never played Slayer nor Death keep. Looking at these AD&D 2e games side by side....

Mostly randomized EOB 3 (always was annoyed they left out some simple EOB 1 & 2 mobs.

I don't know what engine this is tbh. I originally thought maybe randomized using the same Ravenloft games engine but... I never played those either. I always jumped to Heretic or doom.

Vs

I was annoyed that both weren't pc and i sure as hell wasn't going to buy a 3DO (well, never saw one in the stores).
Shit... i should have picked one up via mail order... oh well. Free emulation i guess.
or just watch youtube playthroughs.. :popcorn:

Eh.... looks more annoying than enjoyable. AH! I just had Witchaven flashbacks with Death Keep!

edit... those intros and voice acting. Yeesh. Gotta say... the story just by that is total WTF?!?! Maybe the manuals shed better light. The dwarf took the stupid target? Why? So while the engines changed and game play was different you started to lose choices from DH to S to Dk.

DH to S
First the customization starts to drop for random dungeons. Next you can't make your own char but use pregrens. Hmph!

S to DK
Character choices even slimmer probably for stiryfag cutscrnes. NO dungeon customization here it appears. Sooo... just random or what? Got lazy there ssi.

AUTO ITEM PICK UP! Yeah that's shooter dope. It is fine. Auto-map is good enough. I like they reused various item assets from EOB, DH, WOTES, GK, etc. Familiar shit for your paper doll.

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
KeighnMcDeath there's a very good 3DO emulator called Phoenix that is actually pretty easy to use one you get the English patch for it (or if you can read Russian).

DeathKeep actually did get a PC port, unlike Slayer. Like many post Windows 95 games, running it on a modern OS may involve some kind of blood ritual.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah... win95 games & some 98/Xp give me headaches on some of my laptops. I have an old 98 desktop around somewhere but its so lacking it doesn't even have usb ports.

DaveO

Erudite
Ok, so let me put in the totals by date order:

Oldest thread:
Oblivion - 39
NWN - 24
DA2 - 20
Fallout 3 - 30
Gothic 4 - 7
Dungeon Siege - 5
Mass Effect - 11
NWN2 - 12
MM9 - 8
Ultima 9 - 16
Pools of Radiance: Myth Drannor - 6
Dragon Age: Origins - 11
Morrowind - 8
Skyrim - 12
Planescape - 8
Arcanum - 9
Witcher 1 - 6
Witcher 2 - 6
Mass Effect 2 - 8
DA: I - ?
Mass Effect 3 - 5
Lionheart - 7
Alpha Protocol - 5
Gothic 3 - ?

2nd oldest thread:
ArcaniA: Gothic IV
42 vote(s)

Descent to Undermountain
7 vote(s)

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
10 vote(s)

Might & Magic IX
7 vote(s)

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
12 vote(s)

Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny HD
13 vote(s)

Ultima IX: Ascension
46 vote(s)

Fallout 3
31 vote(s)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
19 vote(s)

Dragon Age: Inquisition
15 vote(s)

Dragon Age 2
18 vote(s)

Newest thread(this one):
Fallout 3 - 41
DTU - 10
Lionheart - 11
Arkania Remake - 14
MM9 - 9
Ultima 9 - 50
Oblivion - 25
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor - 16
Gothic 4 - 46

That's it for me. I'm NOT doing this again for the inevitable fourth thread. May you all have a happy Chinese New Year(aka Lunar Year)!
:shredder:

DaveO

Erudite
I wanted to thank all of the participants in the three separate threads. Now DTU, which is my vote went on the "upswing" in terms of votes from oldest to newest threads. Take that however you wish.

:brodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom