Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worth it to get a new gaming rig?

blrrmmmff

Scholar
I was planning to get a new gaming pc. My current one is almost 8 years old now. But then I started watching trailers of upcoming games, and I did not see a single game I want to play. All generic first and third person games. You shoot something, watch a boring cut scene and then go back to shooting. All reskinned version of eachother. No innovation whatsoever really. Except for slightly better graphics. Open worlds look bland and empty. No environmental destruction (would have expected more of that after Battlefield bad company 2 by now?). AI still seems the same as 10-15 years ago.

But maybe I did not look closely enough. So what to do? So I thought I would ask the vinegar pissing Codex! If you guys find graphically intensive games worth playing, I will get my gaming PC.

Melcar

Arcane
Wait for next gen video cards. See how the market reacts and if the performance gains are worth it.

SumDrunkGuy

the-boys.gif

Get a Nintendo switch instead. It's infinitely cheaper.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Buying a gaming pc is a fucking scam. Two days ago I was able to enjoy 30fps gaming, but after spending 1.500€ everything below 80fps feels unplayable.

But at least the games actually look pretty with Raytracing

blrrmmmff

Scholar
Buying a gaming pc is a fucking scam. Two days ago I was able to enjoy 30fps gaming, but after spending 1.500€ everything below 80fps feels unplayable.

But at least the games actually look pretty with Raytracing
What games do you play?

If you got a GTX 980/ti or better with 16GBs ram and 8+ intel threads at 4GHz+ 8 years ago you should still be able to play everything with good graphics since all the "next-gen" games on PC and consoles so far are PS4 gen ports. Not all the garbage graphical options turned on but who can even tell.

I'd suggest waiting until there's a game that actually requires a new generation of hardware (directstorage?) and actually promises to be any good (less likely).

As far as Nintendo goes just emulate the WiiU/Switch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom