Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Worthplaying previews Oblivion

Drakron

Arcane
Cimmerian Nights said:
Oh blow it out your ass. That's only because Mark Hammil can't get a job that shows his face.

Like in Wing Commander III,IV and P?

I was suprised when I read that he did a voice in "Full Trottle" ... can you guess who?

ExMonk

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
ExMonk said:
Vault Dweller said:
ExMonk said:
Well said. But reaching conclusions on the basis of complete ignorance is obviously a way of life for almost everyone here on rpgcodex. Why pick on Chefe? :wink:
You have something to say, Monk? Go ahead and say it. No need to drop one-liners.

In almost all cultures, it is sage advice to "think before you speak." Similarly, those who write non-fiction have typically aimed at following the canon: "Check your facts before you write." Something about digital communication lends itself to ignoring these time-honored customs. Examples of this abounds here on rpgcodex, though I see it everywhere online. "Shooting off one's mouth" has become a finely honed craft here. Having said this, however, there are many intelligent posters here, who have positively provoked my thought.
That much is obvious. What I meant is "care to back your claims up with examples and present your own position".

Now this is an interesting development, and SO surprising. You and others on this forum are free to take baseless, crude, rude, and abusive pot shots at anything that moves with immunity (especially anything Oblivion) -- and this often without any "examples." But if anyone DARES to criticize YOU or someone else on the forum they are expected to back it up with copious examples. A clear double standard. That, by the way was the point of my post. And you walked right into it. Now please don't do what you frequently do and let loose a foul stream of name-calling...

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I think the point is, monk, that they cannot be certain exactly what you are going on about unless you tell them. i.e. what conclusions on the basis of ignorance have occured.

Talking about double standards is rather silly. By the same example you are demonstrating double standards as well.
It renders your complaint pointless.

Drakron

Arcane
Emmet and he did Todd as well.

He also did Mosely in Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
ExMonk said:
Now this is an interesting development, and SO surprising.
I wish I could say the same, but you are not the first one who comes here with baseless accusations.

You and others on this forum are free to take baseless, crude, rude, and abusive pot shots at anything that moves with immunity (especially anything Oblivion) -- and this often without any "examples."
Is that a fact? Once again, care to back it up with some examples?

Anyway, my criticism (and that of many others) is always based on facts, examples, arguments. I don't do "This gaem suckz! lol" posts. Granted, you may argue that my facts and examples may point to different conclusions, or that my arguments are flawed, but stating that the criticism is baseless is a lie.

What else? Rude? Yes, sure, no arguing here. Sugarcoating aint my thing. With immunity? I don't think so. Developers and journalists are welcome to come and debate our points, and guess what, they often do.

But if anyone DARES to criticize YOU or someone else on the forum they are expected to back it up with copious examples. A clear double standard.
DARES to criticize ME? lol Do you think I care? Do you think that you are the only one brave enough to criticize me? Be my fucking guest. The only difference to me is what I think of you. At this point I'm trying to figure out whether you've got something to say and can offer valid criticism or just trolling/being stupid. Which is it?

That, by the way was the point of my post. And you walked right into it.
Wow! I like totally didn't see it coming *rolls eyes*
I saw that point and invited you to a conversation. All I see so far is recycling of what your first post implied without a single fact to go with it.

Now please don't do what you frequently do and let loose a foul stream of name-calling...
Again, some quotes please. Surely that shouldn't be a problem since I do it so frequently.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ah, I see now:

ExMonk said:
I've figured out why the devs no longer respond to specific questions on the Elder Scrolls Forums (but do on other forums like rpgcodex). They have signed an NDA and are legally prevented from answering their most loyal fans on these forums.
Thanks for the explanation [to MSFD]. Long overdue. However, I've seen you make many, many posts justifying, defending, or explaining the omission, inclusion, or implementation of features on rpgcodex -- in the face of incredibly insulting criticism. Why there so often and not here? Do you feel that you are "preaching to the choir" here and there are seeking to convert unbelievers?
Well, why do you think that is?

MSFD and Kathode come here for damage control reasons. No point doing damage control on their own forums as dissenting views are routinely silenced by their moderators.

Now that MSFD's charm offensive has failed I think we'll see more incognito bethesda employees coming on here and taking a tactic like ExMonk, a tactic similar to the initial defamation of the Fallout Community a few months back by bethesda: That we're unreasonable, irrational, psycho, blah blah.

Chefe

Erudite
I'll bet fifty goatse pictures that ExMonk is a fake account.

ExMonk

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Ah, I see now:

ExMonk said:
I've figured out why the devs no longer respond to specific questions on the Elder Scrolls Forums (but do on other forums like rpgcodex). They have signed an NDA and are legally prevented from answering their most loyal fans on these forums.
Thanks for the explanation [to MSFD]. Long overdue. However, I've seen you make many, many posts justifying, defending, or explaining the omission, inclusion, or implementation of features on rpgcodex -- in the face of incredibly insulting criticism. Why there so often and not here? Do you feel that you are "preaching to the choir" here and there are seeking to convert unbelievers?
Well, why do you think that is?

Well, look at you, tracking down my posts on the Oblivion Forum!

I think that behind and beneath the endless taunting and withering criticism of all that is Oblivion, MSFD realizes that there are knowledable and experienced rpgers here -- and he respects you, your opinions, and your influence. Therefore he wants you to like Oblivion, and is willing to overlook the adolescent profanity and ridicule. Also, he sees all the conversation that is generated everytime an Oblivion news story goes up -- and he realizes the publicity capital. Which is another way of saying that yes, I think he is trying to preach to the unconverted. Finally, informed and intelligent dialogue does happen here, whereas often on the official forums, comments by devs often result in either (1) endless complaining or (2) the devs are ignored and the same points and questions are recycled ad nauseum.

As to examples of your insulting pot shots, just look at any Oblivion news story that you've posted. I know you pride yourself on not being a fanboy and sugercoating anything, blah, blah, blah. But please. You could do the same thing without resorting to ridicule and negativity EVERY SINGLE TIME. It destroys your credibility when you refuse to acknowledge any positives. The frustrating thing is that rpgcodex could be the definitive rpg web site if you would stop trying to be Billy "Wicked" Wilson. It alll comes off as sounding incredibly "junior high."

LlamaGod

Cipher
Patrick Stewart was in Excalibur for like 5 minutes.

also, why dont people masturbate with joy over his voice in X-Men Legends or other games.

OH MAYBE BECAUSE THEY DONT MAKE A VOICE ACTOR A SELLING POINT OF THE DAMN GAME.

gameplay? things new to a genre or videogame? who needs that when you got PATRICK STEWART and REALISTIC SOIL EROSION and BOW PHYSICS leading the wagon.

Drakron

Arcane
MSFD have the damn right to post what he feels like.

What I found inracional is the Bethsoft fanboys feeling that he must post in the official forums, the fact he preferes to post here instead of TES Oblivion forum speaks a lot over how those forums are.

I dont think he is "preaching" or doing "damage control" because this is not a TES site, yes he defends Oblivion and the choices that were made but when we have Sarvis that mistakes RPGs with IF we cannot just target someone because of his job, MSFD have the right to his own opinions ... the fact he have a "developers logo and lag" just makes him a easier target.

ExMonk said:

I think that behind and beneath the endless taunting and withering criticism of all that is Oblivion, MSFD realizes that there are knowledable and experienced rpgers here -- and he respects you, your opinions, and your influence. Therefore he wants you to like Oblivion, and is willing to overlook the adolescent profanity and ridicule. Also, he sees all the conversation that is generated everytime an Oblivion news story goes up -- and he realizes the publicity capital. Which is another way of saying that yes, I think he is trying to preach to the unconverted.

Wrong. MSFD is one of the primary programmers on Oblivion. You think he has time to "preach to the unconverted" on this site in the middle of crunch time on the biggest title in the company's history? This is utterly illogical.

He's here for only one reason, to tone down the vitriol in order to minimize fallout (sic) going into GM.

Chefe

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
Patrick Stewart was in Excalibur for like 5 minutes.

Interesting.

also, why dont people masturbate with joy over his voice in X-Men Legends or other games.

He does Xavier's voice in Legends? That's pretty cool. Do they have the rest of the movie cast too?

OH MAYBE BECAUSE THEY DONT MAKE A VOICE ACTOR A SELLING POINT OF THE DAMN GAME.

http://www.x-men-legends.com/

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

Maybe one day Bethesda will figure out that voice actors don't make a video game.

ExMonk

Scholar
pseudo intellectual said:
ExMonk said:

I think that behind and beneath the endless taunting and withering criticism of all that is Oblivion, MSFD realizes that there are knowledable and experienced rpgers here -- and he respects you, your opinions, and your influence. Therefore he wants you to like Oblivion, and is willing to overlook the adolescent profanity and ridicule. Also, he sees all the conversation that is generated everytime an Oblivion news story goes up -- and he realizes the publicity capital. Which is another way of saying that yes, I think he is trying to preach to the unconverted.

Wrong. MSFD is one of the primary programmers on Oblivion. You think he has time to "preach to the unconverted" on this site in the middle of crunch time on the biggest title in the company's history? This is utterly illogical.

He's here for only one reason, to tone down the vitriol in order to minimize fallout (sic) going into GM.

Actually, he has been a regular poster here for quite some time -- long before crunch time. So nothing illogical there.

Vault Dweller

Developer
ExMonk said:
I was simply curious where you are coming from. Not literally, obviously, but your reasons.

Also, he sees all the conversation that is generated everytime an Oblivion news story goes up -- and he realizes the publicity capital.
If that capital is so precious, why come here at all? Looks like we are doing a great job bitching about Oblivion without his presence here. In other words, no, it's not that. Try again.

Which is another way of saying that yes, I think he is trying to preach to the unconverted.
Yes, because 100 extra copies make a hell of a difference in overall sales.

Finally, informed and intelligent dialogue does happen here, whereas often on the official forums, comments by devs often result in either (1) endless complaining or (2) the devs are ignored and the same points and questions are recycled ad nauseum.
That I can buy

As to examples of your insulting pot shots, just look at any Oblivion news story that you've posted.
What you failed to realize is that I didn't say a single bad word about Oblivion there. I critricized the reviewer and media fascination with Patric Stewart, whose voice, technically, is not in the game. Did I imply in that post in any way that Oblivion is a bad game? No. So, what's your point?

It destroys your credibility when you refuse to acknowledge any positives.
In Oblivion? Like what? Give me some examples, other than the graphics and empty promises that may or may not be fulfilled.

The frustrating thing is that rpgcodex could be the definitive rpg web site if you would stop trying to be Billy "Wicked" Wilson. It alll comes off as sounding incredibly "junior high."
You can't please everyone, can you? Anyway, if you are looking for a definitive website, whatever is, try GameSpot or IGN.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
pseudo intellectual said:
ExMonk said:

I

I have an alternate explanation: MSFD is coming to the Codex to relieve the incredible stress and anxiety put on him by the crunch mode through a sort of intellectual sadomasochism. I think, like many game developers, he is very emotionally attached to the game he is making, and wants to see it succeed. Unfortunately, as we all know there are many factors that will probably disappoint in Oblivion, and this is bound to affect him on a deep, emotional level. Because MSFD can't do anything about actually fixing these flaws, he comes here and sees his life's passion dragged through the mud and himself verbally abused - but of course in his subconsciousness he wants this, and is secretely sympathizing with us. To rationalize this to his conscious self, MSFD tells himself that he comes here to correct myths and misunderstandings of Oblivion and to make us think the game will be good, like he himself desperately wants to believe it will be.

Now do you see why I am not a psychologist?

Twinfalls

Erudite
@ExMonk:

MSFD said:
One of the reasons I frequent this site is to learn more about RPGs in general

http://rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... ht=#151691

If you bother to read through his posts here you will find that he does NOT come here for publicity. It might make you feel better to think he is merely posting for publicity reasons, but as he has had to explain time and time again (you're not the first one to make a conclusion based on ignorance about this) he is a programmer, and not a publicist. To suggest that the time he spends posting on websites is motivated purely for publicity is rather demeaning of a developer who has demonstrated himself to be a person of integrity.

Face it. Your motive for coming here is obvious, from your TES forum posts VD listed above. You're jealous. You've come here and trolled, not contributed anything, merely making conclusions about the majority of the people here - based on your own ignorance. So far, you have been a hypocrite (twice!), and a troll.

Not the best start on a new forum.

ExMonk

Scholar
Twinfalls said:
@ExMonk:

MSFD said:
One of the reasons I frequent this site is to learn more about RPGs in general

http://rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... ht=#151691

If you bother to read through his posts here you will find that he does NOT come here for publicity. It might make you feel better to think he is merely posting for publicity reasons, but as he has had to explain time and time again (you're not the first one to make a conclusion based on ignorance about this) he is a programmer, and not a publicist. To suggest that the time he spends posting on websites is motivated purely for publicity is rather demeaning of a developer who has demonstrated himself to be a person of integrity.

Face it. Your motive for coming here is obvious, from your TES forum posts VD listed above. You're jealous. You've come here and trolled, not contributed anything, merely making conclusions about the majority of the people here - based on your own ignorance. So far, you have been a hypocrite (twice!), and a troll.

Not the best start on a new forum.

Twinfalls, thank you, oh thank you, for helping me to "face it." I feel liberated. I was jealous. And a foolish hypocrite. And a troll. And ignorant. You have seen right through me. How ever do you do it? I'm a better person. I...I...I like myself. If not for your name-calling none of this would have been possible. Thank you.

Once again this proves my point. Posters like you can freely name call and criticize everything; but they are NEVER, EVER to be criticized in return. That makes them downright grouchy.

Did I suggest that MSFD posts here because he is motivated "purely for publicity"? Hmm. The post I sent said that I thought that was one motivation among several.

"Contributions" are in the eye of the beholder, are they not? My contribution is to speak to the overall "tone" of this otherwise worthwhile place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom