Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Worthplaying previews Oblivion

Mech

Cipher
ExMonk said:
My contribution is to speak to the overall "tone" of this otherwise worthwhile place.

You should write your thesis on that. Oh wait, you probably don't even know what a thesis is yet, my bad.

ExMonk

Scholar
Mech said:
ExMonk said:
My contribution is to speak to the overall "tone" of this otherwise worthwhile place.

You should write your thesis on that. Oh wait, you probably don't even know what a thesis is yet, my bad.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. I won't be drawn out that easily...

Chefe

Erudite
Tubular! I've never had a forum admirer before. Will you be my lap-dog? Can I call you "Lappy"?

Reputation +2
Followers +1

You have received 50 EXP for gaining ExMonk as a follower.

ExMonk

Scholar
Chefe said:
Tubular! I've never had a forum admirer before. Will you be my lap-dog? Can I call you "Lappy"?

Reputation +2
Followers +1

You have received 50 EXP for gaining ExMonk as a follower.

What?! Only 50 EXP?!

Hmm. Interesting word association. "Chefe, what do you think of when I say the word 'admirer'? Chefe: 'lap dog.'" Life not going real well?

Anyway, lapdog? No. Follower? To the Himalayas if that is where you bid me go. Unless I change my mind.

Chefe

Erudite
ExMonk said:
What?! Only 50 EXP?!

What did you expect? You're not important or have any renown. I only got 50 EXP because of your innate "Garble" skill.
But hey, XP is XP, got to take all you can get.

Life not going real well?

Actually, I think I just leveled up.

Unless I change my mind.

Well, considering your low level I don't have high hopes for you surviving anyways. ;)

Twinfalls

Erudite
ExMonk said:
Twinfalls, thank you, oh thank you, for helping me to "face it." I feel liberated. I was jealous. And a foolish hypocrite. And a troll. And ignorant.

Congratulations! Acceptance is the first step to recovery.

Once again this proves my point. Posters like you can freely name call and criticize everything; but they are NEVER, EVER to be criticized in return.

What point? You haven't actually criticised anyone! You've blustered that "reaching conclusions on the basis of complete ignorance is obviously a way of life for almost everyone here on rpgcodex". You have to provide evidence and reasoning for something before it becomes criticism. Otherwise, well, its making a conclusion based on ignorance, ain't it? :wink:.

I'd love to hear some actual criticism from you - if you have any, fire away, it's always welcome at least from me.

That makes them downright grouchy.
Who's grouchy? We're laughing at you.

Did I suggest that MSFD posts here because he is motivated "purely for publicity"? Hmm. The post I sent said that I thought that was one motivation among several.

To repeat. He does not post here AT ALL for publicity. Your accusation about him is still baseless, and still appears motivated by jealousy - not to mention ignorance (you're good with that, aren't you!).

franc kaos

Liturgist
MSFD... He's just some guy, you know. In all honesty, this is simply a much better forum than the Bethsoft one. Make one critical point over there and the Bethsoft Bitch Boys declare their undying hate of you and don't even bother arguing over what you said...

Sometimes, the posts on here get pretty convulated and argumentative, but at least they tend to argue from an intellectual standpoint (check out the posts on what makes an RPG - pretty fucking deep).

This thread's gotta be giving him, MSFD, some ego...

Section8

Cipher
Uriel Septim is played by Patrick Stewart, and he lends more grace and dignity to his role than I have ever before seen in video game voice acting. Lines from the opening cut scene that would've been laughably trite as text or in the hands of lesser actors become compelling with Stewart's grave, awe-struck delivery.

That's a curious little statement in an otherwise typically positive preview. The implication that the main plot script is laughable, banal and reliant on skilled actors to carry it doesn't bode well. Maybe Bethesda should have hired some competent writers instead.

Twinfalls

Erudite
And if you watch the E3 dvd-preview video, you'll note the other voice-actors are not as capable as Stewart - the dialogue just comes across as laughable and banal. See especially the conversation between the Dark Elf and that awful, awful Bard....

Rina

Scholar
Twinfalls said:
And if you watch the E3 dvd-preview video, you'll note the other voice-actors are not as capable as Stewart - the dialogue just comes across as laughable and banal. See especially the conversation between the Dark Elf and that awful, awful Bard....

Perhaps it wasn't perfect voice acting, but it was good enough for me...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I love that bulletin board in NL signature. You can always read some latest events and developments. Hopefully, it wil expand over the years featuring different sections, advertisement, links of the day, etc.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Section8 said:
That's a curious little statement in an otherwise typically positive preview. The implication that the main plot script is laughable, banal and reliant on skilled actors to carry it doesn't bode well. Maybe Bethesda should have hired some competent writers instead.
Bah, George Lucas didn't need good writing either.

The dialogue between the bard and elf was really, really awful however. I mean... really. I usually try to avoid mass murder in RPGs, but if that is the average quality... I WILL shut them up. If I play the game. I probably will, I just don't know when yet.

Twinfalls

Erudite
A new tidbit - this from a new interview with Gavin:

For characters, we have worked our system of facial animation into the Speechcraft skill. Whereas in Morrowind persuasion was simply an invisible die roll against your skill, we’ve created a persuasion system where you look carefully at an NPC’s expression to determine how they’ll react to certain forms of persuasion.

CoolZ0r. Role playing now means face-analysis.

http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=12316

ExMonk

Scholar
Twinfalls said:

Hmmm. According to the Twinfalliian canons of logic and reasoning, the above must NOT be a criticism, since it contains no actual evidence or reasoning, just a blanket statement. In fact it sounds a lot like the ExMonkian criticism that she dismisses as no criticism at all. Strange. Very strange. This almost seems...what is that word that she always bandies about? Oh yes, hypocritical. Then again one of the easiest ways to disengage ourselves from discussion is to change definitions and claim that our dialogue partner has not satisified the basis for discussion. :cool:

ExMonk

Scholar
Twinfalls said:

For characters, we have worked our system of facial animation into the Speechcraft skill. Whereas in Morrowind persuasion was simply an invisible die roll against your skill, we’ve created a persuasion system where you look carefully at an NPC’s expression to determine how they’ll react to certain forms of persuasion.

Twinfalls, it is so cool and hip to criticize everything that is Oblivion, isn't it? In fact that seems to be the way to acceptance on this board. Because for anyone who is cool and hip in a rpgcodex cool and hip kind of way, there is obviously not a single redeemable feature in Oblivion. Oh, wait, I forgot. According to your canons this is NOT a criticism because it contains no evidence or reasoning. Just a one-liner. And that is NOT allowed.

Twinfalls

Erudite
ExMonk said:
Twinfalls said:

Hmmm. According to the Twinfalliian canons of logic and reasoning, the above must NOT be a criticism, since it contains no actual evidence or reasoning, just a blanket statement. In fact it sounds a lot like the ExMonkian criticism that she dismisses as no criticism at all. Strange. Very strange. This almost seems...what is that word that she always bandies about? Oh yes, hypocritical. Then again one of the easiest ways to disengage ourselves from discussion is to change definitions and claim that our dialogue partner has not satisified the basis for discussion. :cool:

I think I'll have to defer to Mr Foghorn Leghorn as the only person who could possibly respond to that:

'your lips are flappin in the breeze, boy!'

ExMonk said:
Twinfalls, it is so cool and hip to criticize everything that is Oblivion, isn't it?

Yes.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Twinfalls said:

And why not? It's certainly more interesting than what MW had. Anyway I think its a good interview. It confirms more than 1500 NPC (50% increase from previously stated number).

Gavin Carter: It really boils down to having the proper tools for the job, and the tools we have this time around for tracking and maintaining dialog are a quantum leap over Morrowind. We have much more control and changes are far easier to make and track. The writing for the game, much like the dungeon design, follows a very iterative process of drafting, review, and redrafting. The writers had most of the plots drafted out and most of the dialogue written before even putting them into the game.

Early on, we actually made them present the plotlines of their quests to the entire team. Of course, then we play it, and things can and frequently do change drastically from that point. But everyone here plays the game and is always looking for ways to improve the quests. I think the strength of our dialogue and characters in Oblivion are actually going to surprise a lot of people.

I think he means you and VD :)

Twinfalls

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
Twinfalls said:

And why not? It's certainly more interesting than what MW had.

Well - the question remains to what extent your own personal skill in peering at the screen and figuring out what the hell is going on with some Argonian wrinkling his badly textured nose, will displace your actual character's persuasion skill.

Anyway I think its a good interview. It confirms more than 1500 NPC (50% increase from previously stated number).

Yes I noticed that. It's a good thing.

I guess this one will have less of those Morrowind NPCs. You know, the ones in random spots all over the wilderness doing nothing but waiting for you to approach, before murderously scrambling for your x/y coordinate with cooking utensils raised. So hopefully cities won't be so barren.

Micmu

Magister
It has auto-persuade button anyway, which does stuff better. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom