Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you like to see real armor in RPGs?

Would you like to see real armor in RPGs?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Other

• Total voters

Murk

Arcane
hardly, to me its always been the craft games (and i guess warhammer but its origins are, like you said, in tabletop miniature games and i was thinking video games more so) - it just happens that damn near all jrpgs, regardless of how different in art style, are all more homogenized graphically than western rpgs are - so the blanket statement applies there far more readily

ushdugery

Scholar
Personally I would like you all to get your filthy realism away from my fantasy. Ooooh a moderately attractive drunk woman who works at a call centre and studies philosophy you're the girl of my dreams lets have clumsy drunken sex and awkwardly mumble and make small talk with mildly embarassed and hungover looks on our faces over average and mildly burnt pancakes in the morning oh yeah. Fuck realism it's overrated and not what I play computer games for I want to rape puny enemies with my giant phallic sword and wear stupid big shoulderpads with giant spikes on them while a scantily clad young maiden clings to me so I can guard her from the demonic hordes before later skewering her in a whirlwind of passion. So umm yeah fuck reality.

Murk

Arcane
well good sir, you have convinced me to retract my previous statements and persuaded me to see things your way

touche!

spacemoose

Erudite
ushdugery said:
Ooooh a moderately attractive drunk woman who works at a call centre and studies philosophy you're the girl of my dreams lets have clumsy drunken sex and awkwardly mumble and make small talk with mildly embarassed and hungover looks on our faces over average and mildly burnt pancakes in the morning oh yeah.

there I cleared up all the fluff for you.

noice

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Mikayel said:
Some games, based on their setting and art style, require cartoony fantasy armor (like warcraft, warhammer, or every single jrpg evah)

Warhammer =/= Warhammer 40k
also Warhammer =/= Table-top Warhammer.

Normal Warhammer is absolutely NOT supposed to look cartoony, quite the opposite actually.

Destroid

Arcane
Tabletop warhammer is cartoony for the same reason that stage makeup is cartoony - so you can make out details from a longer distance than is normally possible.

DraQ

Arcane
@topic:
Fuck, yeah!

Or maybe not as much 'real', as 'realistic' meaning that all the exotic styles and materials are in as long as the armour itself is logically constructed and functional (it may even be made out of crystallized semen of the gods and susceptible only to hypervelocity sabot slugs made of pure neutronium, if lore calls for it).

Also 'fuck, yeah' to realistic combat.

Though, generally, massively humongous shoulder pads rank quite low on my 'fantasy armour annoyances' list - the prevalence of chainmail bikinis makes sure of it.

Shoelip

Arbiter
ushdugery said:
Personally I would like you all to get your filthy realism away from my fantasy. Ooooh a moderately attractive drunk woman who works at a call centre and studies philosophy you're the girl of my dreams lets have clumsy drunken sex and awkwardly mumble and make small talk with mildly embarassed and hungover looks on our faces over average and mildly burnt pancakes in the morning oh yeah. Fuck realism it's overrated and not what I play computer games for I want to rape puny enemies with my giant phallic sword and wear stupid big shoulderpads with giant spikes on them while a scantily clad young maiden clings to me so I can guard her from the demonic hordes before later skewering her in a whirlwind of passion. So umm yeah fuck reality.

Hm... shame there are no games like that. :roll:

Texas Red

Whiner
ushdugery said:

This is not about realism and fantasy. Real armor is simply aesthetically more pleasing.

Kz3r0

Arcane
In Arcanum there are some quite realistic armours, even in Diablo there are some.
Generally speacking I find cartoonish style unimaginative, and boring.

Mareus

Magister
I voted yes but I would like to have both games which offer completely unrealistic armors and games which offer completely realistic armors. Just for diversity sake. Without some unrealistic armors, flashy magic and girls which wear completely unpractical armors it would just be... I don't know... somehow less fantasy if you know what I mean.

Kz3r0

Arcane
RK47 said:
u mean like
carthda2.jpg
At the time there were war armour and fancy armour for parades and tournaments, look at italian reinassance for something really outrageous.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't care about realism because it's a fucking game.

I'm glad I don't have to piss and shit in games because of "realism". For the same reason I don't care how the armors look. Ideally there's no graphic for them at all anyway, just some text that says "Enchanted Field Plate +2".

mondblut

Arcane
I love lesbian chicks in chainmail bikinis, but god, those giant pauldrons are beyond fucking retarded. They make one's head look smaller than a pimple.

I guess that's why they got so popular among the masses. Makes it easier to identify with the character.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
What we want is Horse Armor!!!!

Seriously, I believe that those shoulder pads may be derived from this kind of armor which were designed for joust and horse combat. But most of these full plate armors get ridiculous on infantrymen. Chainmail and leather armors are the only way to look realistic in a game with no horse combat.
armures.jpg

Mareus

Magister
If you really want realism then you could also say that you don't want maces in the game at the same time as those heavy plate armors. If you read through the weapon history a bit you would notice that heavy armors were made useless once maces and flails appeard, because they could easily break through heavy armor. Fantasy can only take so much. Unrealistic features have always been a part of fiction and without them it would just be a documentary. But like I said, we need both just for the sake of diversity.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Darth Roxor said:
Ogg said:
What we want is Horse Armor!!!!

I don't know if you're sarcastic with that statement, but horse armour existed in the past.

No, I'm just trying to follow indigenous traditions like Beth bashing.

I know that horse armour isn't complete bullshit, but they only appeared on really rare occurrences. A full plate armour was very expensive (and still is) and only affordable to the wealthiest lords in medieval times. Thus horse armour wasn't a priority. Most of the time it only consisted in padded armour (like caparisons for picadors' horses) on the front and on the flanks. Chamfron (or horse helmet) and crinets (neck armour) were merely decorative.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
SkeleTony said:
If I want to play a game where my character looks boring and gay then I will play some non-fantasy, historical RPG or something.

Except that we have none of those, so you can have all the fantasy you want. Seriously where are those gay and boring looking characters in some non-fantasy historical RPG, I'd like to know

Solohk

Scholar
I'd like to see armor that is at least grounded in reality. I don't mind armor that has all sort of engravings and looks more on the ceremonial side as long as it at least looks a little functional.

Also, for the record, I just want to state that I really don't like giant shoulder pads. Ugh.

Edit:
I wouldn't mind seeing stuff like the templar armor that was posted.

Fat Dragon said:
I always liked the look of realistic medieval armor far more than what you see in video games. I especially like the design for the Templar Knight suit.
http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/Knig ... %20-03.jpg

ushdugery said:

The fact that most fantasy is so samey, so designed to be easily approachable and cartoonish just makes me think more of reality, of corporations, market economy, real world and all that really boring and bleak stuff I want to escape when playing games. It's not about realism (and certainly not only about the look of armour which is essentially only graphics), it's about diversity, which we can't have because formulaic games are so much easier and safer to make (or because the board of directors said so).

Kz3r0

Arcane
Mareus said:
If you really want realism then you could also say that you don't want maces in the game at the same time as those heavy plate armors. If you read through the weapon history a bit you would notice that heavy armors were made useless once maces and flails appeard, because they could easily break through heavy armor.
This isn't true armoured cavalry and infantry lasts trough mace and crossbows, they encountered their demise against firearms, notably with the death of Giovanni dalle bande nere(John of the black bands) subsequently to a falconet hit.
Mareus said:
Fantasy can only take so much. Unrealistic features have always been a part of fiction and without them it would just be a documentary. But like I said, we need both just for the sake of diversity.
For now we have most of the fantasy ones and almost none of historical ones.

made

Arcane
Where do you get all those WH40K pics from, kc?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom