Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin - new Quake engine game from 3D Realms

Curratum

I don't see why we should mourn the loss of Duke in general.

The Duke3D game was good but not really amazing, and it sold and became popular largely on the "realistic" environments, the talking protagonist and the "Shake it baby!" bullshit. The only Build game that is truly top-shelf material is Blood, and even that is with a few caveats. Duke lacked the consistency of tone in its level design and flavor Blood had and its gameplay never reached the heights of Doom and Quake, so it was just a pretty good shooter with a lot of audio-visual gimmicks.

When it comes to custom content and longevity, Blood is again the only Build game that stands up to scrutiny. Duke has a bunch of one-off levels and a couple of mods that are a pain to set up and play and that's it.

Riskbreaker

What the hell. Duke has hundreds of levels going back to the 1990s, many of them still standing up just fine to scrutiny (I have been playing them over the last month or two). Decent amount of recent stuff, too.
Aye.
Wang's the underserved one here. I think at least one part of the reason why is visual and thematic - SW isn't as distinct from Duke as Blood is. If one wished to do a detailed urban or industrial-themed map in Build, one could just as well do it for more popular Duke (and Duke could accommodate that Eastern theme just fine too, if one wished to work with it specifically). Altho SW does have its own thematic uniqueness and the space for its expansion.
It's a shame as I do love SW's arsenal. The sheer crunchy satisfaction of cutting goons down with Wang's katana, so good.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
yeah Jon St. John is a huge SJW faggot, it's why I absolutely cringe when I see people put him in games.. He's the new Postal guy in Postal 4 and his presence makes me not want to play it.

Curratum

What the hell. Duke has hundreds of levels going back to the 1990s, many of them still standing up just fine to scrutiny (I have been playing them over the last month or two). Decent amount of recent stuff, too.

Doom also has thousands of shovelware levels from 1995-1997, how does that make any difference?

Curratum

Arkane should be so lucky to have someone as good as Skacky, to be honest... Their games have been sliding downhill ever since Dishonored 2.

deuxhero

Arcane
Throwing out a totally random and unlikely guess: Raven Software (who, surprisingly, still has a lot of the people from Outcast/Academy) doing a Jedi Knight 4 on OpenJK since the new bosses at MS are letting them be something besides a CoD QC sweatshop again.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth

Doom also has thousands of shovelware levels from 1995-1997, how does that make any difference?
Every game with a living modding scene has hundreds of poorly made or newbie effort levels recreating the builder's house, high school, or whatnot. They also have a whole lot of great ones. From the Duke mapping scene, stuff by BillyBoy, Suppressor or Pascal Rouaud represents the original fanmade classics, while the community build projects and full episodes represent the mature creators of the last few years. It is not as utterly great as the Blood mapping community, but it is a highly accomplished group.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I want to like Wrath, but something about it feels off to me, and the enemy placement is pretty bullshit.
There's a level where if you go up the stairs is spawns a multi-faced fucker right next to you that takes half your health in a single bite, and about 4 more of them. You cannot possibly react to that without dying or taking heavy damage. I stopped playing after that.

Riskbreaker

So, according to their latest update, at least a portion of their bestiary is still at the concept art stage and, oh, E1's boss is getting some textures on him!
Bloody hell.

geno

Savant
So, according to their latest update, at least a portion of their bestiary is still at the concept art stage and, oh, E1's boss is getting some textures on him!
Bloody hell.
What if they aren't happy with some of the assets and they decide to ditch them and itinerate until they got the right one? How much of the current work won't make it to the final game?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
WRATH bi-weekly update - 03.14.2022

Greetings everyone!

It's time for another WRATH developer update! Here's a short summary of the things we have been working on for the past two weeks:

- Concepting Flora for Episode 3
- Added levers
- Improved Oppressor particle effects and death
- Texture detailing and meshing E2 levels
- Refined some E3 level blockouts

:what:

dacencora

Throwing out a totally random and unlikely guess: Raven Software (who, surprisingly, still has a lot of the people from Outcast/Academy) doing a Jedi Knight 4 on OpenJK since the new bosses at MS are letting them be something besides a CoD QC sweatshop again.
That wouldn’t happen because it would be too awesome. Imagine if we could get a real genuine Star Wars FPS on a Quake engine again.

Riskbreaker

Game's never coming out, folks.
At this point, you have to wonder how much of even the first episode's remaining maps are anywhere close to being done. For if they were I could almost see the game's scale being cut down to just one hub, and nu-3DR releasing it as such with some apologies. I understand that something like that happened with Hellbound, one of the games from the recent HB FPS bundle, where the dev ran out of funds and released the game with just one episode out of promised three.

Curratum

Game's never coming out, folks.
At this point, you have to wonder how much of even the first episode's remaining maps are anywhere close to being done. For if they were I could almost see the game's scale being cut down to just one hub, and nu-3DR releasing it as such with some apologies. I understand that something like that happened with Hellbound, one of the games from the recent HB FPS bundle, where the dev ran out of funds and released the game with just one episode out of promised three.

Easier when you're a random dev. Much worse when you're trying to act like you're old 3DR and are announcing new huge projects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom