Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline WRPGs have hit rock bottom

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Show me someone that didn't play Morrowind by refering to an external map and I'll show you a bold faced liar.
I've played Morrowind for years on a pirate version without the map. So here you go.

This quest marker discussion made me think of KCD, which I've playing lately. It has a mandatory quest compass, you can disable it with mods but the game has been designed with it and you can't do without. "Go kill some bandits" ok but where ? Map marker. You can actually see the devs have not bothered to design the map further since, for all beautiful is is, roads make no sense, there is very little points of interest and no road signs. You can't just take the big road between Uttay and Sasau since there is none. Paths run wild with no sense nor logic and connecting places together was clearly an afterthought. So I use quest compass and sometimes fast travel, because I have no incentive to learn my way around.
On related note, one of the biggest fun I have in the game is reading the treasure maps, since it makes me think a bit, check the surroundings, and actively look around (for loot that is often in stupid places, but KCD wouldn't be itself without this subtle mix of idiocy and wonder).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Show me someone that didn't play Morrowind by refering to an external map and I'll show you a bold faced liar.
I've played Morrowind for years on a pirate version without the map. So here you go.

This quest marker discussion made me think of KCD, which I've playing lately. It has a mandatory quest compass, you can disable it with mods but the game has been designed with it and you can't do without. "Go kill some bandits" ok but where ? Map marker. You can actually see the devs have not bothered to design the map further since, for all beautiful is is, roads make no sense, there is very little points of interest and no road signs. You can't just take the big road between Uttay and Sasau since there is none. Paths run wild with no sense nor logic and connecting places together was clearly an afterthought. So I use quest compass and sometimes fast travel, because I have no incentive to learn my way around.
On related note, one of the biggest fun I have in the game is reading the treasure maps, since it makes me think a bit, check the surroundings, and actively look around (for loot that is often in stupid places, but KCD wouldn't be itself without this subtle mix of idiocy and wonder).
It was way better without the quest marker.
Just use your journal and listen carefully to what people say to you when they give you directions.
Also just explore (like in a proper RPG).

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It was way better without the quest marker.
Just use your journal and listen carefully to what people say to you when they give you directions.
Also just explore (like in a proper RPG).
Oh, I do explore, I'm an explorefag after all. I've found many a moonshine bottle in places that would have warranted much better. But I'm not going to fight the game when it can't bother to give me directions. I'm there for the views and the silliness, not to have my exploration needs fulfilled. Wrong game for that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom