Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xbox Series vs Playstation 5

Which one

• PS5

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Xbox X/S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo (Kingcomrade)

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Drown yourself for even considering a console

Votes: 33 58.9%

• Total voters

430am

Educated
Yes, you're right. It's every single review and opinion is wrong.
No need to be passive aggressive. You still haven't backed up your claim of it being "the most ergonomic one now" outside of your personal opinion and anecdotal evidence. There's plenty of that in the opposite direction as well, including my opinion.

Literally a few seconds on Google shows how full of shit you are:
Oh, okay, so when you were talking about Sony controllers you mentioned them all the way down to PS1, and made a claim that Xbox controllers haven't changed from the original, yet moved goalposts to compare just the one Xbone model to Series X. Indeed, you are taking it in bad faith, probably because it struck a personal sonyboy nerve.
And if you actually bothered to read what you're replying to, I never made a claim that they made any kind of revolutionary changes within the last generation. I said that it didn't change recently because it's already very comfortable and works out of the box with everything. You erected a strawman.

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
I have both the regular PS4 and Xbox 360 controller sitting right now on my table, and I tried holding them both in my hand for a while, after reading some of your posts. The hand position is almost identical, apart from the 360 controller forcing you to have your left thumb higher up, because the left thumbstick and the D-pad are on the opposite side compared to the PS4 controller (which is worse, IMO). Also, the PS4 controller feels a bit nicer in my palm.

DemonKing

Arcane
If a game is both on PS5 and XBox I get the PS version because I prefer the ergonomics of the controller. I've never bought a game for the Xbox anyway as it's purely a Gamepass machine for me.

Not saying the Xbox controller is terrible but the PS5 controller is great.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My Playstation 3 seems to have died today. It works but has no HDMI video output. Guess I'll be replacing it with something this year.

EDIT:
Nvm, it run after a while

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much. That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?” - Jim Ryan SIE CEO

Tyrr

Liturgist
This thread:
gssHYK2.jpg

ferratilis

Magister

A true peasant CPU.

That explains why Starfield will be capped at 30fps, and why it will likely never run at 60 for the duration of this console cycle. Bethesda games have always been CPU heavy, due to object permanence.

Konjad

Patron
Thanks for all the votes! I think I'll choose PS5 over Xbox as per your feedback. That said, I guess there will be a slim version anytime soon? Anybody heard about it? I might just wait until next year to get it, I'm not in a hurry.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
PS5 because it's the only one with actual exclusives. If you intend to play Tekken a lot definitely PS5, because as far as I know the Xbox community is completely dead for fighting games.

Consoles are 510 dollars now. They're not "cheap" anymore.
Adjusted for inflation it's not different to the previous three generations.
That would be a good challenge, seeing how close I can get price wise to a console when building a 4k capable computer.
Ryzen 5500, RX 7600/RTX 4060, 16gb of RAM, motherboard and 1tb NVME and a cheap case and PSU is $660. This is with cheap American prices without tax. It's basically an exact match for console except the CPU is marginally faster. Move up to a RX 6700 XT and you're at $700, but it'd be worth it. Wouldn't really call it a 4k system unless you reduce settings to medium and under and use upscalers.
A true peasant CPU.
It's a Ryzen 3600. That's better than 2/3rds of Steam users. The limitations present on it as a salvaged chip on an enthusiast board aren't relevant to when it's implemented into a console, and it's not going to benefit from the custom ASICs they have on the real things.

Azdul

Magister
PS5, this shouldn't even be a question. Bloodborne, Demon Souls, God of War Ragnarok, FF XVI, Rise of the Ronin vs shit on Xbox side.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Yeah, a bunch of PS4 and 3 games :lol:

Just reinforces my point about there being no good exclusives anymore.
Why invest more money into developing original title / franchise that will be artificially restricted to one platform - and will never realize its sales potential ?

Maybe it made some sense when there were major differences between consoles themselves - and between consoles and PCs - and making multiplatform game required technical compromises.

But that ship had sailed a decade ago.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
PS5, this shouldn't even be a question. Bloodborne, Demon Souls, God of War Ragnarok, FF XVI, Rise of the Ronin vs shit on Xbox side.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Yeah, a bunch of PS4 and 3 games :lol:

Just reinforces my point about there being no good exclusives anymore.
Why invest more money into developing original title / franchise that will be artificially restricted to one platform - and will never realize its sales potential ?

Maybe it made some sense when there were major differences between consoles themselves - and between consoles and PCs - and making multiplatform game required technical compromises.

But that ship had sailed a decade ago.
Exclusives still make sense for 1st-party developers at least. It is what will drive a consooooomer to buy your console vs your competitors.

911 Jumper

Educated
The 1TB Carbon Black Series S makes me laugh. Imagine buying that.

I'm of the view that Microsoft will drop the Series S this gen.

Only reason to buy a PS5 at the moment is it’s backwards compatible with the PS4; which means you can get all those Tengo Project remakes, and stuff like the HD remasters of Vanillaware games Dragon's Crown Pro and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, and whatever new stuff they do too. Which is really more of a reason to get a PS4... but if you’re looking to get one of the new things, and the PS5 can play most PS4 games, that’s probably the way to go.

Reason to get a Xbox Series X seems to be Xbox Game Pass. The console doesn’t have much in the way of exclusives, but their streaming service means you’ll have access to a whole hell of a lot of the multi platform titles. Although the way Microsoft has been buying studios, their exclusivity problem should be going away. And with the Activision Blizzard buyout I’m guessing you’re going to start seeing stuff like a new Raven Software Hexen in the coming years. I think Series X is also the more powerful console, so multiplatform titles will probably end up looking and running better on it.

Also think Xbox Game Pass Ultimate gives you Xbox Live Gold (unless it’s a free-to-play game, you’re gonna have to pay to play online multiplayer on either console) and the PC Game Pass.

PS5 also has cheaper VR than PC if VR is something you’re interested in fucking with. At the moment it seems like Sony is in a better position than anyone else to push it. They seem to like doing exclusive VR stuff with Capcom. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the upcoming GTA game has VR. Although this generation of consoles was such a huge miscalculation I’m not sure how much they even get into that.

The PS5 controller has been completely redesigned and is now the most ergonomic one.
Yeah, completely redesigned and unsurprisingly still a crampy piece of garbage with sharp edges.

Yes, you're right. It's every single review and opinion is wrong.

The PS5 controller has been completely redesigned and is now the most ergonomic one.
Yeah, completely redesigned and unsurprisingly still a crampy piece of garbage with sharp edges. Now even big dudes get their hands fucked up, and girls straight up have trouble operating it. Most ergonomic according to whom, a revelation you saw in a dream?

XBAWX controllers haven't changed much from the original
Yeah. Because they're comfotable and work. Just work everywhere, without any kind of ritualistic dancing with extra drivers or compatibility layers. Also, if you genuinely believe they "haven't changed much from the original" you either have zero idea of what you're talking about or talking in bad faith.

Literally a few seconds on Google shows how full of shit you are:

Xbone:

c2aed3bckzgszcatle68

Series:

xbox-controller-how-to-connect-sync-one-series-pc-ios-android-6400-1604772216047.jpg

Much different. Wow. REVOLUSHENARY.

Now here is a PS4 controller:

10105832_inc.jpg

Vs a PS5 one:

82911_sy_dualsense_01_layered_8_cmyk_1_siea_cc91.jpg

That, kids, is what we call, a "redesign". And that's just the outside.

Slapping 1 extra button on the front is not a major change.

But that’s not the original Xbox controller. You said it hasn’t changed much from the original. The original is this:

t55TdP7CouQqKJfuf6gs6QqPSn2ZTLixDCYDpztc8LE.jpg

Which later became the S controller originally made for the Japanese market:

f3v33xikixp91.jpg

Six face buttons, two triggers on the shoulder. They haven’t changed much since the 360. Where it switched to four face buttons, and four shoulder buttons: two bumpers and two triggers. PlayStation controller on the other hand have been becoming more like the Xbox controller as time goes on, adding triggers with the PS3, and the shape becoming more like the Xbox controller shape.

The Xbox controller seemed to be inspired by the Dreamcast controller

z3k2ALWeOzKfIaIk6ZQCDxR9JliT1EIOLUx0WQg9ShU.jpg

Which is itself a (not as good) take on the Sega Saturn 3D controller that came with Nights into Dreams. If it wasn’t for that VMU the Dreamcast controller could’ve had six face buttons too. Always found it odd (very stupid) the Xbox Duke controller didn’t go for a proper six button face layout when the big Xbox jewel served no function besides taking up a bunch of space.

RU5it9a.jpg

Apparently there’s a Switch 2 on the horizon. So if you’re only looking to get one console at the moment, you might want to wait a bit to see what’s going on with that.

Given the name, I’d assume it’ll be backwards compatible with all Switch games, since that seems to be how Nintendo does things with their like named hardware ever since the Game Boy Color came out.

Modron

Arcane
Then you have to weigh waiting to see if there is some major hardware flaw they have to release a new revision for or buying it earlier for future jailbreaking ease.

I really love my Switch, but the only reason I still play it is because I have an early jailbroken revision. The only possibility of me buying the new revision is if there's a jailbreak for that as well.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I solved this problem by getting a 5m long hdmi cable that is always connected to my TV. When i am in the mood i go to my display options, pick the sleeping TV/Monitor as my main, and turn on steam on big picture mode.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I dunno about the Xbox controllers but the ps5 one is pretty crappy. I've had to buy 2 replacements because the left stick broke.

The battery life sucks and it's even worse with all the extra junk like lights and vibration. If you turn the light off in the options, it makes a barely perceptible, high-pitched squealing noise forever.

By default, the triggers will resist your pull by varying amounts in different games which is very annoying, so you have to find the option to turn off yet another useless and cost-inflating feature.

They should be $20 each and last for days on a charge but they jam pack them with crap so they're expensive, short-lived and break all the time. I wish I could use a ps3 controller with it.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I'm now using the PS4 one (DualShock 4) for years for games I want to play with a controller on PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom