Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
UFO was never "hardcore" and the success of nu-COM was totally unexpected by Firaxis.

Mazisky

Magister
UFO was never "hardcore" and the success of nu-COM was totally unexpected by Firaxis.

Totally unexpected, yet they decided to risk and invest in it. The only reason why this happens is being passionate about the franchise instead of being greedy for money like 95% of the publishers\devs.

Also, Ufo defense was not hardcore in the 90's, it is now with today standards.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Beta 2 for Long War : WOTC is out (with download link)

Long War of the Chosen beta 2 released!
renderTimingPixel.png

Long War 2
It's been a while since beta 1, but the wait is finally over: beta 2 is here!

The release notes have a link to the download along with important information about upgrading and what has changed.

What's changed since beta 1?
A lot! See the release notes for full details. Some of the highlights include:

• Regular soldiers now have a pistol slot and the pistol abilities work

• The old LW2 Smash and Grab mission is back, so you will now get a mix of that and the Supply Extraction mission

• Headshot on The Lost is now disabled by default on Commander and Legend difficulties (configurable in INI)

• You can enable a campaign Advanced Option so that you can purchase multiple class abilities at the same rank (this is blocked by default to prevent XCOM power creep)

• Reapers, Skirmishers and SPARKs now have laser and coilgun variants of their primary weapons
I expect that many folks will be horrified by the idea of no Headshot on the Lost, but it has been tested extensively and for most folks (so far) has proved more interesting than the vanilla behaviour. I would be interested to know how Rookie and Veteran players fair with it disabled, because ideally we'd have the same behaviour on all difficulties. See the release notes for information on how to enable/disable Headshot in config.

What is Long War of the Chosen?
A port of Long War 2 to the War of the Chosen expansion. Check out the FAQ for more information.

Why isn't it on Steam Workshop?
We're using a custom version of the Community Highlander. Progress has been made in getting those changes into the highlander itself, but it takes time. The highlander impacts everyone who uses it, not just those playing LWOTC, so changes have to be reviewed and tested. In the long run, it benefits both LWOTC and all other mods that make use of the highlander.

What more needs to be done?
There are plans to rework the Chosen so they fit the Long War mechanics better without introducing a lot of unevenness to the game's balance. They're likely to be weaker, but more disruptive and harder to kill in tactical missions. They are also more likely to favour captures and intel extraction rather than killing XCOM soldiers: remember, their ultimate goal is to defeat you, so finding the Commander is priority number one.

We also want to reintroduce Sit Reps. Not sure exactly how they will work, but I currently favour having Sit Reps that change how the tactical missions play out, without necessarily making them noticeably easier or harder for XCOM.

At some point, we would also like to add in some of the new WOTC missions into the pool.

Lastly, faction soldiers are likely to undergo more balance changes.

Need a hand?
Absolutely! Coding help is always appreciated, but here are some other tasks that really help move the project along:

• Creating models for things like faction soldier laser and coil guns

• Language translations, since we're changing various bits of text in the game

• Verifying reported bugs on GitHub, checking that they're reproducible and so on

• Play testing! Particularly by players who play on Rookie, Veteran or Commander. Most balance feedback currently comes from Legend players
If you'd like to help, join the Long War of the Chosen Discord Server. If you'd like to simply provide feedback, you can do that here, on Discord, or on the Pavonis Interactive forum.

Good luck commanders!

Beta 2 for Long War : WOTC is out (with download link)

Long War of the Chosen beta 2 released!
renderTimingPixel.png

Long War 2
It's been a while since beta 1, but the wait is finally over: beta 2 is here!

The release notes have a link to the download along with important information about upgrading and what has changed.

What's changed since beta 1?
A lot! See the release notes for full details. Some of the highlights include:

• Regular soldiers now have a pistol slot and the pistol abilities work

• The old LW2 Smash and Grab mission is back, so you will now get a mix of that and the Supply Extraction mission

• Headshot on The Lost is now disabled by default on Commander and Legend difficulties (configurable in INI)

• You can enable a campaign Advanced Option so that you can purchase multiple class abilities at the same rank (this is blocked by default to prevent XCOM power creep)

• Reapers, Skirmishers and SPARKs now have laser and coilgun variants of their primary weapons
I expect that many folks will be horrified by the idea of no Headshot on the Lost, but it has been tested extensively and for most folks (so far) has proved more interesting than the vanilla behaviour. I would be interested to know how Rookie and Veteran players fair with it disabled, because ideally we'd have the same behaviour on all difficulties. See the release notes for information on how to enable/disable Headshot in config.

What is Long War of the Chosen?
A port of Long War 2 to the War of the Chosen expansion. Check out the FAQ for more information.

Why isn't it on Steam Workshop?
We're using a custom version of the Community Highlander. Progress has been made in getting those changes into the highlander itself, but it takes time. The highlander impacts everyone who uses it, not just those playing LWOTC, so changes have to be reviewed and tested. In the long run, it benefits both LWOTC and all other mods that make use of the highlander.

What more needs to be done?
There are plans to rework the Chosen so they fit the Long War mechanics better without introducing a lot of unevenness to the game's balance. They're likely to be weaker, but more disruptive and harder to kill in tactical missions. They are also more likely to favour captures and intel extraction rather than killing XCOM soldiers: remember, their ultimate goal is to defeat you, so finding the Commander is priority number one.

We also want to reintroduce Sit Reps. Not sure exactly how they will work, but I currently favour having Sit Reps that change how the tactical missions play out, without necessarily making them noticeably easier or harder for XCOM.

At some point, we would also like to add in some of the new WOTC missions into the pool.

Lastly, faction soldiers are likely to undergo more balance changes.

Need a hand?
Absolutely! Coding help is always appreciated, but here are some other tasks that really help move the project along:

• Creating models for things like faction soldier laser and coil guns

• Language translations, since we're changing various bits of text in the game

• Verifying reported bugs on GitHub, checking that they're reproducible and so on

• Play testing! Particularly by players who play on Rookie, Veteran or Commander. Most balance feedback currently comes from Legend players
If you'd like to help, join the Long War of the Chosen Discord Server. If you'd like to simply provide feedback, you can do that here, on Discord, or on the Pavonis Interactive forum.

Good luck commanders!
is this better than regular long war 2 yet?

so far it seems like it just seems better to wait for PHX point which seems superior in most ways honestly despite all the bitching

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I didn't have time to try it much yet. But WoTC brought tons of QoL improvements, so for that alone, I think it is worth trying.

I also think that the chosen themselves were a nice addition, even though they weren't used that well in XCOM 2 (they were really badly balanced, between each other, and for the effect they could have on some missions).

Phoenix Point will be out soon indeed, but I would rather wait a little to play it anyway, to let them fix things and add the complete set of planned backer DLC.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Man, I've never seen a game ruined by its DLC more than XCOM 2. I foolishly plunged for the season pass bundle thing at release and loved the vanilla experience. One of the only games I've ever successfully iron manned start to finish.

The DLC seemed to be really badly thought out balance wise and then WOTC seemed really cinematic heavy with awful characters not to mention over priced. Doesn't make me hopefuly for nu-xcom 3 at all.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It's a LOT of shit for me to write.
The factions and their upgrade trees, the Chosen (even if they are cartoony, they add a new element in the game), the Lost/zombies which require a different approach, new alient types, new missions, the bonding system, changes in the strategy layer... A lot of stuff

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
The factions and their upgrade trees, the Chosen (even if they are cartoony, they add a new element in the game), the Lost/zombies which require a different approach, new alient types, new missions, the bonding system, changes in the strategy layer... A lot of stuff

Oh yeah, now I remember. Selfies for soldiers and inter soldier romances... Yeah...

I'll stick to Open XCom.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Neither Chosen or Lost were good additions. New missions were OKish, new UI and engine improvements were good. New classes completely OP. Overall it made the game even more cartoonish and easier.

Enemy Within made Xcom 1 easier but this was even worse. I am afraid what kind of DLC they will make for Xcom 3.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Neither Chosen or Lost were good additions. New missions were OKish, new UI and engine improvements were good. New classes completely OP. Overall it made the game even more cartoonish and easier.

Enemy Within made Xcom 1 easier but this was even worse. I am afraid what kind of DLC they will make for Xcom 3.

Yeah which I thought was a shame at the time. XCOM 2 did a great job of riding that line between realism and cartoonishness.

If anything a few steps towards realism would have hit a sweet spot for me.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
XCOM2 vanilla was shit, LW2 was shit, only WotC made the game worthwhile to play for me.

Yeah, kind of a testament to how they went in a different direction with it from the base game. Strange thing for an expansion pack to do really.

ArchAngel

Arcane
XCOM2 vanilla was shit, LW2 was shit, only WotC made the game worthwhile to play for me.
Yes we understand, you like big explosions and colorful games full of cartoon level villains. Go play Diablo 3 next.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Yeah fuck you if you like fun stuff in your games, you should play SERIOUS GAMES ABOUT ALIEN INVASIONS

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I play everything that is tacticool, I don't mind games being cartoony or unrealistic if I'm having a good time

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Oh yeah, now I remember. Selfies for soldiers and inter soldier romances... Yeah...

I'll stick to Open XCom.

Yeah which I thought was a shame at the time. XCOM 2 did a great job of riding that line between realism and cartoonishness.

If anything a few steps towards realism would have hit a sweet spot for me.

....openxcom's piratez is even more over the top than anything wotc added.

Yes, difference is Piratez is executed with great style and respect for the genre. If WOTC didn't frame itself like a bad saturday morning style cartoon for retards I'd probably be more interested.

Mazisky

Magister
Wotc (and Xcom 2 to some extent) switched too much into the classic 12 rated movie with cartoony villains. There is no horror anymore, it feels more like G.J Joe\Action Man\Ninja Turtles.

That's the same identical issue i had with the Diablo 2>diablo 3 transition.

Other than that, Wotc is a really big and cool expansion which enhance a lot an already awesome game.

If the cartoony villains alone are enough to consider a game bad, i suggest you guys to not play videogames at all.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Wotc (and Xcom 2 to some extent) switched too much into the classic 12 rated movie with cartoony villains. There is no horror anymore, it feels more like G.J Joe\Action Man\Ninja Turtles.

Other than that, Wotc is a really big and cool expansion which enhance a lot an already awesome game.

If the cartoony villains alone are enough to consider a game bad, i suggest you guys to not play videogames at all.

Or, you know, play the huge amount of games that don't have aesthethics designed for 12 year olds...

Mazisky

Magister

Or, you know, play the huge amount of games that don't have aesthethics designed for 12 year olds...

That's why you stick to Ufo-defense: Mutons straight out of a marvel comic and Guile looking soldiers. Very adult aesthetic!

The original is my favourite game of all times, but i never played it because of its visual.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

That's why you stick to Ufo-defense: Mutons straight out of a marvel comic and Guile looking soldiers. Very adult aesthetic!

The original is my favourite game of all times, but i never played it because of its visual.

You are taking the expression of my preference very personally friend. If you enjoy WOTC power to you. I mean I was loving your post up until the last line where you suggested I should stop playing games because I don't enjoy watching childrens cartoons.

I do think you are mixing up FUN and CLASSIC pulp sci-fi design (original xcom) for legitimate power rangers mood destroying shittiness (those WOTC cinematics) though.

Mazisky

Magister

You are taking the expression of my preference very personally friend. If you enjoy WOTC power to you. I mean I was loving your post up until the last line where you suggested I should stop playing games because I don't enjoy watching childrens cartoons.

I do think you are mixing up FUN and CLASSIC pulp sci-fi design (original xcom) for legitimate power rangers mood destroying shittiness (those WOTC cinematics) though.

"Wotc is too much power-rangers with those cinematics, xcom is not."

Ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom