Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News XCOM: Enemy Unknown or what could've been

Tytus

Arcane
I don't know what to say...

You just ruined my entire day. Fuck you Firaxis. :declining:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fucking Firaxis.

And yeah, arguing that a game made by a small team 20 years ago wasn't PERFECT so we should be happy to slurp up the decline-shit-brew is fucking moronic.

Zeriel

Arcane
Fucking Firaxis.

And yeah, arguing that a game made by a small team 20 years ago wasn't PERFECT so we should be happy to slurp up the decline-shit-brew is fucking moronic.

I'm always amazed by the argument that we should be glad it has even a fraction of the original game's awesomeness, or the idea that because something wasn't good in the original, it should be done the same, not-good way in the sequel. Shouldn't we be expecting a game twenty years later to be better, not worse?

EG

Nullified
Fucking Firaxis.

I'm always amazed by the argument that we should be glad it has even a fraction of the original game's awesomeness, or the idea that because something wasn't good in the original, it should be done the same, not-good way in the sequel. Shouldn't we be expecting a game twenty years later to be better, not worse?

You should be grateful that the game is now popular, successful, and embraced by all plebs!

Zeriel

Arcane
Fucking Firaxis.

You should be grateful that the game is now popular, successful, and embraced by all plebs!

This actually just makes me despair for the sequel, since I see it going after the broad appeal it sort of caught at by selling lots of copies on the PC. What are the chances they deepen the complexity and add new mechanics? Zero. Much easier just to up the cool-factor and kill-cams and put in 50 more scripted missions for one playthrough @ that 60$ day one purchase. It's a crying shame because the new XCOM does have the foundation of a killer game if it just sought to restore some of the complexity of the geoscape and procedurally-generated levels (which as mentioned are out because they'd be 20% less pretty).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
@ Zeriel

Procedurally generated levels are shit. What's the joy of seeing a slightly different corridor with a box in a slightly different place? Or a landscape with hills and trees in slightly different positions? How does that increase the replayability of a game? The thing that makes a game like Jagged Alliance 2 replayable is not the procedurally generated levels(there are none), but the customization of your squad with different skills and weapons. I'd rather a whole bunch of pretty and varied handmade maps but with customization and variety of approach to character development and combat than a bunch of repetitive and sterile faux varied generated maps doing the same thing over and over.

knightley

Educated
@ Zeriel

Procedurally generated levels are shit. What's the joy of seeing a slightly different corridor with a box in a slightly different place? Or a landscape with hills and trees in slightly different positions? How does that increase the replayability of a game? The thing that makes a game like Jagged Alliance 2 replayable is not the procedurally generated levels(there are none), but the customization of your squad with different skills and weapons. I'd rather a whole bunch of pretty and varied handmade maps but with customization and variety of approach to character development and combat than a bunch of repetitive and sterile faux varied generated maps doing the same thing over and over.

"Procedurally generated" does not mean boring, it depends how it is implemented. Just as there are many well made hand crafted maps, there are as many if not more boring hand crafted maps.

And hand crafted elements can also be used in the procedural generation process. There are many possibilities. I would say there choice should be between:
- a limited number of excellent hand crafted maps
or
- an unlimited number of maps with qualities some where between average and excellent

JA2 belongs to the first group, but the later is also a very attractive choice.

Psquit

Arcane
probably the third person shooter xcom will end up being better since its in 60s. No future popamole gears of wars gears.

Kinda funny how this whole thing was about "TEH GAME IS GOING TO BE BETHER THAN THE FPS CAUSE ITS MADE BY FIRAXIS" but now teh fps is going to be better than this game lol.

Zeriel

Arcane
No, it isn't. If you honestly think the FPS is going to be better than XCOM (which is an alright game, original aside), you're trying way too hard to hate on it.

Psquit

Arcane
No, it isn't. If you honestly think the FPS is going to be better than XCOM (which is an alright game, original aside), you're trying way too hard to hate on it.

Im replaying xcom right know and i want to uninstall it. Even the mass effect series lasted longer in my hard drive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Psquit felt that he had to necro this newspost from February to tell us this important piece of information

tiagocc0

Arcane

Im replaying xcom right know and i want to uninstall it. Even the mass effect series lasted longer in my hard drive.

Why+did+the+whale+cross+the+road+_c0500400f058214be4374d0d5deb2836.gif

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You can't blame Firaxis for your shitty tastes bro...

Psquit

Arcane
You can't blame Firaxis for your shitty tastes bro...

We all have shitty tastes at the end. Both xcom are

:popamole:

Just because you can play it like a turn base game doesnt mean its good.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't... is this... is this what getting psi-assaulted feels like?

Psquit

Arcane
The 100 pages of the xcom thread are more close to the effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom